Ktm battery question (17 ktm 350)

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2018 1:06 PM

Picked up a 17 350 with 7 hours, like new.

Battery was dead, wouldn’t turn over. Charged with battery tender a few hours till light turned green on battery tender. Turns over but won’t crank, bump starts and runs perfect.

What could my issue be?

Could the battery be bad. Maybe turning engine over but not fast enough to start?

|

2/17/2018 1:53 PM

Stock batteries on the SX are junk buy the larger battery tray and put the XC battery in it or larger battery of your choice

|

2/17/2018 3:17 PM

RCF wrote:

Stock batteries on the SX are junk buy the larger battery tray and put the XC battery in it or larger battery of your choice

New to KTM. So just buy a new oem battery tray and battery for a 17 ktm 350 xc and that'll be best?

|

2/17/2018 3:24 PM

So get part

#77311953000, LITHIUM ION BATTERY 5S, for 17 ktm 350 xc @ $91.19 (rocky mountain)

and

#79011055100, BATTERY BOX, for 17 ktm 350 xc @ $22.48 (rocky mountain)


and it'll all simply slide right in?

|

2/17/2018 3:28 PM

oceantrav wrote:

Picked up a 17 350 with 7 hours, like new.

Battery was dead, wouldn’t turn over. Charged with battery tender a few hours till light turned green on battery tender. Turns over but won’t crank, bump starts and runs perfect.

What could my issue be?

Could the battery be bad. Maybe turning engine over but not fast enough to start?

Test your battery for volts using a multimeter, if it's any less then 12vdc after charging its fucked. Mine is fine after 43hrs, but I fell a few more cca would help. It has always turned over slowly, still faster then kicking though.

|

2/17/2018 3:55 PM

oceantrav wrote:

Picked up a 17 350 with 7 hours, like new.

Battery was dead, wouldn’t turn over. Charged with battery tender a few hours till light turned green on battery tender. Turns over but won’t crank, bump starts and runs perfect.

What could my issue be?

Could the battery be bad. Maybe turning engine over but not fast enough to start?

fullysicmate wrote:

Test your battery for volts using a multimeter, if it's any less then 12vdc after charging its fucked. Mine is fine after 43hrs, but I fell a few more cca would help. It has always turned over slowly, still faster then kicking though.

Good idea. So if less than 12v it won’t turn engine fast enough to crank?

Of course I can’t find my multi meter now.

Are these batteries specialized where you have to get them online? Does battery plus and places like that cary them?

|

2/17/2018 4:12 PM

If it comes off the charger after a few hours and it's still under 12v it's fucked, if it's under 12v at any point it would be lucky to turn over. A fully charged 12v battery should test at approx 12.7Vdc.

There are a lot of alternative batteries to standard but make sure you get a sealed battery, if a battery leaks in your bike you will have other problems.

|

2/17/2018 4:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2018 4:33 PM

Like said above Rocky Mountain sells it as an upgrade kit, I prefer shorai (210 cca)batteries though ,the kit comes with a WPS battery.
Photo

|

2/17/2018 5:07 PM

Checked on battery plus, they went up to 2016 for a ktm 350 and had a $44 battery in stock. Just ran up and grabbed it so I could ride it tomorrow. Thing was way bigger than my battery. Then I hooked it up to test the bike. Turnt over a few times, then think the new battery died... not sure if it doesn’t come charges

Photo

|

2/17/2018 5:48 PM

They don't come charged and there's no way you're fitting that into your bike

|

2/17/2018 8:30 PM

Shorai Lithium is the way to go. I have had one for about 4 years now in my TC449 and have had no issues.

Paw Paw

|

2/18/2018 5:07 AM

I’ve been using the WPS Featherlight for a few years and it’s been very good. Lighter than stock and more power.

|

2/18/2018 7:01 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I’ve been using the WPS Featherlight for a few years and it’s been very good. Lighter than stock and more power.

Ditto on the WPS

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

2/18/2018 8:32 AM

If you dont want to change out the battery tray (it’s a hassle, takes up a little more space in the airbox), just get the WPS battery and be smart on how you start the bike. Click it once......battery warms up and then give it the crank. With the WPS battery.....i went 2 years without recharging and had zero problems. You can check the charge in the battery on the WPS by hitting a button. Underated upgrade!

|

2/18/2018 8:34 AM

Btw.....i just got a 2018 250sxf with the upgraded battery and it has shit tons of starting juice.

|

2/18/2018 8:40 AM

Moto520 wrote:

If you dont want to change out the battery tray (it’s a hassle, takes up a little more space in the airbox), just get the WPS battery and be smart on how you start the bike. Click it once......battery warms up and then give it the crank. With the WPS battery.....i went 2 years without recharging and had zero problems. You can check the charge in the battery on the WPS by hitting a button. Underated upgrade!

Looking on Rocky Mountain. They got that wps battery for $107, then big tusk battery with the big try for $90. May just go with the wps so I don’t have to deal with switching tray, not sure if it’s a hassle

|

2/18/2018 8:40 AM

Headed to the track now, brought a set of jumper cables with me lol

|

2/18/2018 8:18 PM

Moto520 wrote:

If you dont want to change out the battery tray (it’s a hassle, takes up a little more space in the airbox), just get the WPS battery and be smart on how you start the bike. Click it once......battery warms up and then give it the crank. With the WPS battery.....i went 2 years without recharging and had zero problems. You can check the charge in the battery on the WPS by hitting a button. Underated upgrade!

oceantrav wrote:

Looking on Rocky Mountain. They got that wps battery for $107, then big tusk battery with the big try for $90. May just go with the wps so I don’t have to deal with switching tray, not sure if it’s a hassle

I got one year out of my battery on the 2017. Just bought the Rocky Mountain setup with the larger OEM battery tray. Very simple bolt in and spins the bike around great. 12V is way too low for a lithium battery. Anything under 13.0 volts is usually in need of a charge.

Also check voltage drop when you hit the starter...should not drop much below 10.5 volts when cranking.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

2/19/2018 4:21 AM

The WPS is the way to go. My stock battery was crap from day one. I bought the WPS and it’s no comparison to the stocker. Its spins the motor over faster than it ever did with the stock battery. I’m even able to start it easily while in gear. I ride a 17 KTM 350 as well.

|

2/19/2018 4:27 AM

Thanks for the advice. My cheapness and love for tusk products caused me to go the tusk route. So hopefully all will be good now.

Any special way to charger the battery, or does it come charged?

I have one of them cheap battery tenders then a battery charger that can charge at 2, 4, and 6 amps

On a side note, having to jumpstart my bike every Moto I did yesterday made me ride longer than ever before lol

|

2/19/2018 10:44 AM

oceantrav wrote:

Thanks for the advice. My cheapness and love for tusk products caused me to go the tusk route. So hopefully all will be good now.

Any special way to charger the battery, or does it come charged?

I have one of them cheap battery tenders then a battery charger that can charge at 2, 4, and 6 amps

On a side note, having to jumpstart my bike every Moto I did yesterday made me ride longer than ever before lol

They give you specific charging instructions when you get the tusk battery. Mine came charged.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

2/19/2018 11:09 PM

If you want anything off Rocky Mountain. Text me 570-606-7687 Ill get you better pricing.

I use the WPS featherlite in mine, But I did get BobPA a Tusk upgrade kit.

|

2/20/2018 3:33 AM

DTR830 wrote:

If you want anything off Rocky Mountain. Text me 570-606-7687 Ill get you better pricing.

I use the WPS featherlite in mine, But I did get BobPA a Tusk upgrade kit.

Appreciate it. I have my buddies dealer login for Rocky Mountain I use times too.

|

2/22/2018 11:32 AM

oceantrav wrote:

Picked up a 17 350 with 7 hours, like new.

Battery was dead, wouldn’t turn over. Charged with battery tender a few hours till light turned green on battery tender. Turns over but won’t crank, bump starts and runs perfect.

What could my issue be?

Could the battery be bad. Maybe turning engine over but not fast enough to start?

I had the same issue w/16 Husky 450 and 17 KTM 450. I put the WP litho in and np since. Now have 60+ hrs on them.

|