Ktm XC kickstand removed, what to fill hole with?

Pirate421
Took my kickstand off to ride Mx with my 250xc. Question is the hole that the stand bolts into should be filled so it doesn’t get packed with dirt and rust. I’ve hand tightened the bolt from the stand into the hole but it looks like a tapered/shoulder bolt and I’m worried it won’t tighten all the way or will somehow damage the threaded kickstand mount.

If anyone has removed their stand, what did you fill the mounting hole with? I was thinking maybe trying to fit a regular metric bolt or maybe rtv? Any tips? Thanks
|
Wink
7/29/2020 4:47am
Clear silicone
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
658th
7/29/2020 4:56am
Ive never owned one, but I would just screw a regular bolt in it, then someday when you go to put the stand back on its simple. Your probably over thinking it. Use a little blue loctite if your concerned about the bolt coming out.
Bearuno
7/29/2020 8:52am
Stainless Steel Grub Screws.

They present a flush surface on the Swingarm, keeps crap out of said Swingarm, they don't corrode, yet can be easily removed for when / if you want to put the side stand back on. Tape / cable tie or fit nuts to your original Side Stand mount bolts for the stand, so you don't have to go looking for them.

It's a Simple solution, that doesn't look like crap.
Pirate421
7/29/2020 8:58am
Bearuno wrote:
Stainless Steel Grub Screws. They present a flush surface on the Swingarm, keeps crap out of said Swingarm, they don't corrode, yet can be easily removed...
Stainless Steel Grub Screws.

They present a flush surface on the Swingarm, keeps crap out of said Swingarm, they don't corrode, yet can be easily removed for when / if you want to put the side stand back on. Tape / cable tie or fit nuts to your original Side Stand mount bolts for the stand, so you don't have to go looking for them.

It's a Simple solution, that doesn't look like crap.
Just looked those up they look perfect and I’ve seen them at the hardware store before. Thanks for the tip

The Shop

Bearuno
7/29/2020 9:49am
I said Swingarm , as I'd just done this on a bike with a Swingarm mounted stand, so, a bit tunnel visioned on a relatively trivial thing - your KTM, I think, has the mount on the frame, but, it still applies.

You can also use those plastic plugs you find at Auto stores to blank off holes, either directly in the frame, or, ones in the grub screw if used. But, I tend to find ways to knock the little suckers out, be it on frame mounts , or Swingarm mounts.
Pirate421
7/29/2020 9:52am
I found a plain bolt in a bolt kit and I put a small washer on it since the threads were two threads longer than the stand bolt. I measured it and I don’t think the bolt is long enough to bottom the threads but I put some medium loctite and hopefully it will stay for a while
charlie68
7/29/2020 10:04am
Wink wrote:
Clear silicone
^^^ This, easy as can be, did it out with a small pick if you want the threads back.

Post a reply to: Ktm XC kickstand removed, what to fill hole with?

The Latest