Ktm Exc 300cc enduro 2006 radiator help

Hey I'm looking for a new set of radiators for my ktm exc 300cc enduro 2006 bike but I don't know if I should go for oversized or normal radiators this bike has been converted in to a supermoto so for on road use
And then the next thing is what's the best make of radiator as the only ones I can find are called ether twentys or the gmx ones
|
6/21/2018 6:58am
murph783 wrote:
Well, are you having overheating issues?
No not at all but why I'm doing this is I've just spent 4k doing the bike up as its a 06 exc so looked a bit old I'm just replacing every thing but the frame and engine every thing else has been replaced apart from engine frame and the radiators so was thinking maybe get over sized ones as I'm gonna be using the bike for 2/3 maybe more hours a time on the roads
kb228
6/21/2018 6:59am
Id get oversized radiators AND radiator fans. Bikes overheat on the road from stop lights and all that. 85F at a stop light for 5 mins will cook the thing. If you can get a better waterpump from boyesen or pro circuit.
6/21/2018 7:02am
kb228 wrote:
Id get oversized radiators AND radiator fans. Bikes overheat on the road from stop lights and all that. 85F at a stop light for 5 mins...
Id get oversized radiators AND radiator fans. Bikes overheat on the road from stop lights and all that. 85F at a stop light for 5 mins will cook the thing. If you can get a better waterpump from boyesen or pro circuit.
What is a good make of oversized rad for a ktm exc 300 enduro 2006 and the fans and stuff idk if that will fit or work as it's the newer ones who hVe thm I'm just having a huge problem finding the right over sized rad as every one seems to clame to be the best could u recommend some brands

The Shop

YZed250
6/21/2018 11:34am
There are many models that interchange with a 2006 300EXC, including the 125 and 250 and some years before and after. Unfortunately, I'm not your KTM radiator guy. The Thumpertalk KTM 2-stroke forum is a great reference. Alternatively, KTM-talk forum.

Stock or oversized, I wouldn't worry too much about the capacity. If you have overheating problems, causing steam, get a higher pressure rad cap.

If you still have problems, hookup a coolant overflow bottle. Not hard to plumb in place. Most of the street-legal bikes use this type of setup.
6/21/2018 1:21pm
YZed250 wrote:
There are many models that interchange with a 2006 300EXC, including the 125 and 250 and some years before and after. Unfortunately, I'm not your KTM...
There are many models that interchange with a 2006 300EXC, including the 125 and 250 and some years before and after. Unfortunately, I'm not your KTM radiator guy. The Thumpertalk KTM 2-stroke forum is a great reference. Alternatively, KTM-talk forum.

Stock or oversized, I wouldn't worry too much about the capacity. If you have overheating problems, causing steam, get a higher pressure rad cap.

If you still have problems, hookup a coolant overflow bottle. Not hard to plumb in place. Most of the street-legal bikes use this type of setup.
What would u say is the best what would look the best over flow tank I just want to make sure it will never over heat
YZed250
6/21/2018 1:58pm
Max101096 wrote:
What would u say is the best what would look the best over flow tank I just want to make sure it will never over heat
Here are a couple of links with some images so that you can see how they were setup:
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/852859-300-xc-radiator-overflow-ta…
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/987994-ktm-530-exc-over-heating/?p…
If you go with a bottle around the front of the steering head (like in the first link), just be sure to check for clearance from your headlight.
You can make almost any plastic container into an overflow bottle ... post back if you have any more questions.
6/21/2018 5:10pm
Max101096 wrote:
YZed250 wrote:
Here are a couple of links with some images so that you can see how they were setup: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/852859-300-xc-radiator-overflow-tank/ https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/987994-ktm-530-exc-over-heating/?page=2 If you go with a bottle...
Here are a couple of links with some images so that you can see how they were setup:
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/852859-300-xc-radiator-overflow-ta…
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/987994-ktm-530-exc-over-heating/?p…
If you go with a bottle around the front of the steering head (like in the first link), just be sure to check for clearance from your headlight.
You can make almost any plastic container into an overflow bottle ... post back if you have any more questions.
OK thanks I will get a over flow bottle now would u say I still should get oversized rads tho? Really not fussed about having to buy as long as it's good for the road use as obs was a dirt bike now is been built in to a supermoto I've literally replaced every part of the bike apart from engine and frame and radiators every thing else is new so but would u say over sized rad is better then a fan kit or is a fan kit for one better and saying that is it even possible to get a proper fan kit for my 06 exc 300 as don't want to cheap out and make stuff fit I want to make it look the part and do it all properly if u get me
Thanks for your help much appreciated
6/21/2018 5:14pm
Just to say why I'm worried is the trips I do on it are long and hard as I'm in a group and they all are on lean overs 1000ccs and obs a lot faster so I've got to keep up by going flat out on the 300 so worried about it getting to hot I'm based in the UK bit still I can imagine as its meant for short blips better be safe then srry
YZed250
6/21/2018 5:17pm
Given that you're from the UK, and temps are usually cool, you shouldn't have overheating issues. Also, as soon as you click second gear, you'll have a decent amount of air moving over the rads. As others have said, stop and go traffic could be where you have problems, although I doubt it.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with a 300EXC motard, to know for sure. I would just take it for a run and see how it goes.
I'd think your biggest concern is getting the jetting rich enough so that it's sufficiently lubricated, but not blubbering in traffic. Fuel supply is actually one of the main ways a 2-stroke is cooled, and not enough fuel can lead to overheating and seizing, most likely at half to wide open throttle.
Other non-mx forums (like thumpertalk) or a local ktm shop might have more specifics for you.
6/22/2018 6:07pm
YZed250 wrote:
Given that you're from the UK, and temps are usually cool, you shouldn't have overheating issues. Also, as soon as you click second gear, you'll have...
Given that you're from the UK, and temps are usually cool, you shouldn't have overheating issues. Also, as soon as you click second gear, you'll have a decent amount of air moving over the rads. As others have said, stop and go traffic could be where you have problems, although I doubt it.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with a 300EXC motard, to know for sure. I would just take it for a run and see how it goes.
I'd think your biggest concern is getting the jetting rich enough so that it's sufficiently lubricated, but not blubbering in traffic. Fuel supply is actually one of the main ways a 2-stroke is cooled, and not enough fuel can lead to overheating and seizing, most likely at half to wide open throttle.
Other non-mx forums (like thumpertalk) or a local ktm shop might have more specifics for you.
OK thanks man

Post a reply to: Ktm Exc 300cc enduro 2006 radiator help

The Latest