Ktm 85 water on flywheel

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2021 2:14 PM

Hi, i just took of my ignition cover to see rust on the threads and around it and water all round the fly wheel also a hole just behind the flywheel that i dont know if it should be there or not. How could of these problems happened and what damage could it cause? Here are some pictures of it. Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/12/2021 2:20 PM

2-stroke ignition covers are notorious for being not very well sealed. Your should be taking the ignition cover off after each time you wash it, and letting it dry out overnight. Tip: rub some grease on the gasket each time and it won't stick and tear and you'll be able to reuse it multiple times.

|

6/12/2021 5:26 PM

Gasket or rubber grommet that goes around ignition wires is leaking. Replace gasket and apply some silicone RTV around grommet. When installing gasket put a thin coat of oil on one side so that it only sticks on one side.

|

6/13/2021 8:08 AM

Even with the gasket well sealed, you can get condensation inside the housing in a humid environment and with large temp swings. I've found the KTM 85 cover and gasket to seal pretty well. If you have concerns that the cover may be warped, get a new one, maybe even a nice aluminum one that should be less likely to warp than the stock plastic one.

That little hole at the bottom is a drain hole to let moisture in this area run down into the lower cavity and out the bottom. Be careful when pressure washing around the bottom of the engine not to force water up into there.

|

Powerband in every gear !

6/16/2021 4:18 PM

spray with wd 40 and blow dry after every wash

|