Ktm 50 Jetting

Related:
Create New Tag

2/25/2019 10:12 AM

Any suggestions on 2018 KTM 50 SX jetting? I'm running factory settings. Son is zero to half throttle at most. I'm thinking of dropping needle by one and then adjusting air screw. Photo

|

2/26/2019 10:05 AM

what mix at what ratio?

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

2/26/2019 5:14 PM

Crosspower T2 at 60:1. Also I'm at 900ft above sea level. Mid 60s weather right now.

|

2/26/2019 5:27 PM

GuyWithABike wrote:

Crosspower T2 at 60:1. Also I'm at 900ft above sea level. Mid 60s weather right now.

at 60 to 1 there should not be any where near that amount of oil, with him using little throttle all the oil is not getting burnt,
i would go ahead and pull the pipe off repack he silencer and clean the exhaust ports or power valve ,
i would run a lower flash point oil.
flash points of oil
motorex cross power2-230
what i would run
maxima bio 2t-180
motul 710-190
amsoil dominator-194
bell ray si7-194

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

2/26/2019 5:38 PM

GuyWithABike wrote:

Crosspower T2 at 60:1. Also I'm at 900ft above sea level. Mid 60s weather right now.

brody wrote:

at 60 to 1 there should not be any where near that amount of oil, with him using little throttle all the oil is not getting burnt,
i would go ahead and pull the pipe off repack he silencer and clean the exhaust ports or power valve ,
i would run a lower flash point oil.
flash points of oil
motorex cross power2-230
what i would run
maxima bio 2t-180
motul 710-190
amsoil dominator-194
bell ray si7-194

Doesn't have a powervalve.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

2/26/2019 5:44 PM

Nothing wrong with Cross Power, hell it's what KTM recommends and I would think they did their homework. I would drop the needle one clip. If it continues I would drop the main one number as well. I dropped both on my grandsons 50 SX Mini as it would foul plugs when new.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

2/26/2019 5:49 PM

dkurtd wrote:

Nothing wrong with Cross Power, hell it's what KTM recommends and I would think they did their homework. I would drop the needle one clip. If it continues I would drop the main one number as well. I dropped both on my grandsons 50 SX Mini as it would foul plugs when new.

at 60 to 1 thats way too rich, i would switch oils if his son only rides to 1/2 throttle, the pipes really needs to be washed and packing replaced, then if still like this then jetting
if there is excess oil on the head pipe then all the oil is not buring.

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

2/26/2019 5:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll make some adjustments tomorrow and post up my progress.

|

2/26/2019 6:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2019 8:31 PM

dkurtd wrote:

Nothing wrong with Cross Power, hell it's what KTM recommends and I would think they did their homework. I would drop the needle one clip. If it continues I would drop the main one number as well. I dropped both on my grandsons 50 SX Mini as it would foul plugs when new.

brody wrote:

at 60 to 1 thats way too rich, i would switch oils if his son only rides to 1/2 throttle, the pipes really needs to be washed and packing replaced, then if still like this then jetting
if there is excess oil on the head pipe then all the oil is not buring.

So you know more about oil then KTM does? Nothing wrong with the oil he is running, if he gets it jetted correctly it will burn any excess oil out of the pipe. No reason wasting a repack until it's jetted correctly. But then again I've only been riding and racing since 1975, how long for you there Brody?

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

2/26/2019 6:23 PM

dkurtd wrote:

So you know more about oil then KTM does? Nothing wrong with the oil he is running, if he gets it jetted correctly it will burn any excess oil out of the pipe. No reason wasting a repack until it's jetted correctly. But then again I've only been riding and racing since 1975, how long for you there Brody?

did not mean to start any thing
but ktm recommends that oil for racing wide open, he has stated that his kids only rides up to 1/2 throttle, with that mutch oil it seems to be a jetting issue and not burning all the oil off if he pulls the pipe off there will be a large amount of oil in there same with packing.
with that amount of oil it looks like more than jetting the motor is not getting hot enough to burn all the oil.
yes the jetting should be adjusted but an oil switch to a lower flash point would help.

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

2/26/2019 6:38 PM

brody wrote:

at 60 to 1 thats way too rich, i would switch oils if his son only rides to 1/2 throttle, the pipes really needs to be washed and packing replaced, then if still like this then jetting
if there is excess oil on the head pipe then all the oil is not buring.

dkurtd wrote:

So you know more about oil then KTM does? Nothing wrong with the oil he is running, if he gets it jetted correctly it will burn any excess oil out of the pipe. No reason wasting a repack until it's jetted correctly. But then again I've only been riding and racing since 1975, how long for you there Brody?

brody wrote:

did not mean to start any thing
but ktm recommends that oil for racing wide open, he has stated that his kids only rides up to 1/2 throttle, with that mutch oil it seems to be a jetting issue and not burning all the oil off if he pulls the pipe off there will be a large amount of oil in there same with packing.
with that amount of oil it looks like more than jetting the motor is not getting hot enough to burn all the oil.
yes the jetting should be adjusted but an oil switch to a lower flash point would help.

Do you have a petroleum/chemical engineering degree? Didn't think so, I will continue to believe the engineers at KTM that recommend that oil. Oh, and nowhere I've found does it state that oil is only for racing wide open.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

2/26/2019 7:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2019 7:15 PM

look i am not trying to get into a pissing contest with some old guy about a bike thats not mine.
just trying to help a guy out and you just want to come in and call me out about how i know nothing.
I have looked over many studies and have had friends help me look into some oils who have chemical engineering degrees.
This is like woods racing with castor 927 at 32 to 1 you get a lot of excess oil, we all know that the same applies here, yes his jetting may be off but all that oil is not just a jetting problem, all the oil is not being burned, there for moving to a lower burn/ flash point oil will allow the oil to burn cleaner and burn all the oil and gas.
it is also common to know that lower flash point oils are for woods riding and less aggressive riding so all oil is burned.
it would not hurt to clean everything up then try a different pre-mix then if that does not work jetting.

Also motorex sponsors ktm and gives them free oil so why would you not say to run that in all ktms.Thats like being sponsored by monster and not recommending them.
i like to look at independent information so that there is bias to go on.

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

7/23/2019 10:11 PM

brody wrote:

look i am not trying to get into a pissing contest with some old guy about a bike thats not mine.
just trying to help a guy out and you just want to come in and call me out about how i know nothing.
I have looked over many studies and have had friends help me look into some oils who have chemical engineering degrees.
This is like woods racing with castor 927 at 32 to 1 you get a lot of excess oil, we all know that the same applies here, yes his jetting may be off but all that oil is not just a jetting problem, all the oil is not being burned, there for moving to a lower burn/ flash point oil will allow the oil to burn cleaner and burn all the oil and gas.
it is also common to know that lower flash point oils are for woods riding and less aggressive riding so all oil is burned.
it would not hurt to clean everything up then try a different pre-mix then if that does not work jetting.

Also motorex sponsors ktm and gives them free oil so why would you not say to run that in all ktms.Thats like being sponsored by monster and not recommending them.
i like to look at independent information so that there is bias to go on.

My sons doesn't look as bad as this but also rides 1/4 to 1/2 throttle over time could this cause power loss to the motor. People at the track are saying the clutch is slipping or going out but the clutch is brand new. Any suggestions or thoughts would be awesome. Thank you.

|

7/24/2019 8:44 AM

GuyWithABike wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I'll make some adjustments tomorrow and post up my progress.

adjust your jetting not your oil ratio.

|

7/24/2019 8:57 AM

when you say adjust the jetting you are talking about the two jets inside the carb, correct. Sorry very green, we just started our 50 adventure. Thank you for your help

|

7/25/2019 10:52 AM

Jake Robinson wrote:

when you say adjust the jetting you are talking about the two jets inside the carb, correct. Sorry very green, we just started our 50 adventure. Thank you for your help

yes.

|

7/25/2019 10:58 AM

Jake Robinson wrote:

when you say adjust the jetting you are talking about the two jets inside the carb, correct. Sorry very green, we just started our 50 adventure. Thank you for your help

Photo

This shows you how your jets work in relation to throttle.
|

7/25/2019 11:20 AM

Okay thank you very much, I am shooting to remove the carb today so I can look at it and see where we are currently sitting then I will contact our local dealer to order the next size down jet.

|

5/14/2020 12:01 PM

GuyWithABike wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I'll make some adjustments tomorrow and post up my progress.

Did you end up getting this resolved ? If so what did you do? I’m in the same boat with a 2019 50 mini I purchased used yesterday. Thanks.

|