Ktm 450 exc-f 2015 free wheel gear in and out movment

Edited Date/Time 2/24/2018 2:56pm
Hi there, I have a ktm 450 exc-f 2015. I dropped a piston skirt down in to bottom end, so had bottom end split cleaned out, replate cylinder, new woesner piston rings, new titanium valves, you get drift. Apart from splitting engine and replate cylinder I done work myself.
Anyway now bottom end is back together.
IVE NOTICED THE FREE WHEEL GEAR ON THE CRANK SHAFT BEHIND THE PRIMARY GEAR WITH ONE WAY SPRAG, HAS BACK AND FORTH MOVMENT. The free wheel gear does engage with primary and only turns when primary gear moves one way. BUT I CANT FOR THE LIFE OF ME, WORK OUT WHY THE FREE WHEEL GEAR ON CRANK SHAFT PUSHES BACK AND FORTH (NOT LEFT RIGHT), BUT IN AND OUT.
IS THIS NORMAL OR SHOULD THE FREE WHEEL GEAR BE TIGHTLY LOCKED TO PRIMARY GEAR IN FRONT OF IT At ALL TIMES
PLEASE PLEASE HELP,
IT'S PREVENTING ME PUTING RHS CLUTCH SIDE CASE BACK ON AND PUTTING TOP END BACK ON AND ENGINE BACK IN FRAME.
|
kb228
2/24/2018 4:06pm
I can feel the anger in your typing.

Depends on how much movement. Everything on shafts slide axially a little bit.
2/25/2018 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2018 4:28pm
The freewheel gear moves in and out about 1-2mm.
But it never completely disengages the one way sprag on primary gear and the freewheel always moves up fully into the one way sprag when the primary gear moves.
It's a weird set up, same as ktm 450 sfx 2013/14 or ktm 450 exc 2014, I got full work shop manuals off google search pdf download for ktm 450 exc 2014.
The one main thing that makes me think that the freewheel gear should be locked to primary gear, is that in work shop manual shows the freewheel gear is held on crankshaft with woodruff key, then to release take off the primary gear with sprag, requires a special tool 1 and 2, the special tool 1 goes into the end of the crank shaft and then special tool 2 screws onto the front of the primary gear, then screwing special tool inward, thus requires large force to pull primary gear OFF SHAFT AND OFF THE FREE WHEEL GEAR. WHICH IS HELD ON BY WOODRUFF KEY, THIS IS WHAT MAKES ME BELIEVE THE FREEWHEEL GEAR SHOULD BE LOCKED TO SPRAG ON PRIMARY GEAR, OTHERWISE HOW COULD I PULL MY PRIMARY GEAR OFF CRANK SHAFT WITH MY HAND. the special tools to take off primary gear is required after taking off the anticlockwise locking nut mind you.
Yet I've thought about the way freewheel gear works, along with primary gear for hours and seems like it's all ok sprag looks perfect, gear teeth look perfect.
Perhaps the only reason you need special tool to pull primary gear off shaft, is because primary gear is supposed to be loctited 648 to crank shaft. And believe me the man who split my engine only loctited the anticlockwise locking nut, he didn't locktite the shaft cone. Maybe that's why the special tool is required to pull the primary gear off shaft.
Any way, any info appreciated
Ps THE PRIMARY GEAR WITH ONE WAY SPRAG DOESN'T MOVE AT ALL, ONLY FREEWHEEL GEAR MOVES IN AND OUT. BASICALLY IT MOVES IN AND OUT OF THE SPRAG A BIT, (SPRAG BUILT ON AND BEHIND PRIMARY GEAR).
Many thanks
Topcat261076.

Post a reply to: Ktm 450 exc-f 2015 free wheel gear in and out movment

The Latest