Ktm 250 SXF Maintenance

JoeRB
Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 10:13pm
Hi, pretty new the mx scene, always had motorbikes as a kid but never done anything serious. Always had 2 strokes but I was lucky enough for my other half to buy me a new Ktm 250 SXF knowing I wanted to start doing motocross, I had a flick through the manual but without reading it religiously couldn’t find anything and was just curious on what I need to keep on top of and the basics of maintaining the bike such as when to change oil, filters, chains, transmission oil, engine oil etc, if anyone can give me some tips I’d appreciate it, thanks!
|
kb228
6/14/2019 3:24am
Oil - 5 hours
Air filter - every ride
Chain/sprockets - clean/lube every ride/replace when worn
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
6/14/2019 6:02am
The bike is super good! If you keep the filters clean and oil changed you shouldn’t need to touch the piston or valves until 50-60 hours. Depending on how you ride maybe get 75-100 out of the piston.

This bike has 1 oil system, not split. I do oil after 5-6 hour depending on temps and what I’m riding. Oil filter every other oil change. 1000cc oil change and 1200cc when changing oil filter.

Keep the triple clamps bearings greased, linkage and swingarm pivot greased every 20-25 hours.
JoeRB
6/14/2019 7:31am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2019 7:52am
The bike is super good! If you keep the filters clean and oil changed you shouldn’t need to touch the piston or valves until 50-60 hours...
The bike is super good! If you keep the filters clean and oil changed you shouldn’t need to touch the piston or valves until 50-60 hours. Depending on how you ride maybe get 75-100 out of the piston.

This bike has 1 oil system, not split. I do oil after 5-6 hour depending on temps and what I’m riding. Oil filter every other oil change. 1000cc oil change and 1200cc when changing oil filter.

Keep the triple clamps bearings greased, linkage and swingarm pivot greased every 20-25 hours.
The place I got my bike from (ktm dealer) has recommenced I bring my back after 1 hours to have the valves or maybe the transmission checked (can’t remember which one) because it may need shimming or something? Apparently after if should be good until the next service at 20hrs? Is it worth taking it in or not would you say.. also what do you mean by 1000cc and 1200cc when talking about the oil and filter? Thanks for the help Smile

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
6/14/2019 8:44am
The bike is super good! If you keep the filters clean and oil changed you shouldn’t need to touch the piston or valves until 50-60 hours...

JoeRB wrote:
The place I got my bike from (ktm dealer) has recommenced I bring my back after 1 hours to have the valves or maybe the transmission...
The place I got my bike from (ktm dealer) has recommenced I bring my back after 1 hours to have the valves or maybe the transmission checked (can’t remember which one) because it may need shimming or something? Apparently after if should be good until the next service at 20hrs? Is it worth taking it in or not would you say.. also what do you mean by 1000cc and 1200cc when talking about the oil and filter? Thanks for the help Smile
If you have a warranty and or dont know much about bikes maybe it's good to have the check the valves after first ride but typically the KTMs are so good and valves never move. That's a personal opinion for sure. On my 2017 250 I never checked the valves until 50 hours and they were fine.

For oil, I measure it out with a cup based on the manual. Double check it hasn't changed. I do it this way so you are always constant and adding the correct amount.
When you change only the oil, add 1000cc
When you change the oil and oil filter, add 1200cc

JoeRB
6/14/2019 11:19am

JoeRB wrote:
The place I got my bike from (ktm dealer) has recommenced I bring my back after 1 hours to have the valves or maybe the transmission...
If you have a warranty and or dont know much about bikes maybe it's good to have the check the valves after first ride but typically...
If you have a warranty and or dont know much about bikes maybe it's good to have the check the valves after first ride but typically the KTMs are so good and valves never move. That's a personal opinion for sure. On my 2017 250 I never checked the valves until 50 hours and they were fine.

For oil, I measure it out with a cup based on the manual. Double check it hasn't changed. I do it this way so you are always constant and adding the correct amount.
When you change only the oil, add 1000cc
When you change the oil and oil filter, add 1200cc

Thank's for your help buddy, really appreciate it Cool
Alec138
6/15/2019 9:51am
Oil Change every 5-10hrs depending on riding conditions within those hours and how hard. If you ride dusty areas and pegged out a lot, change it every 5.

Keep the air filter clean. Oiled well. I buy the maxima pre oiled one use filters so when its dirty you trash it and use a new one. $10 a filter. And when you wash the bike cover the side plate hole because water goes straight to the filter if you dont.

Sprockets last a decent while but the stock chain is garbage in my eyes. Replace it with a narrow oring/xring after about 30hrs.
kb228
6/15/2019 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 4:20pm
Alec138 wrote:
Oil Change every 5-10hrs depending on riding conditions within those hours and how hard. If you ride dusty areas and pegged out a lot, change it...
Oil Change every 5-10hrs depending on riding conditions within those hours and how hard. If you ride dusty areas and pegged out a lot, change it every 5.

Keep the air filter clean. Oiled well. I buy the maxima pre oiled one use filters so when its dirty you trash it and use a new one. $10 a filter. And when you wash the bike cover the side plate hole because water goes straight to the filter if you dont.

Sprockets last a decent while but the stock chain is garbage in my eyes. Replace it with a narrow oring/xring after about 30hrs.
You seriously pay $10 for 1 use of a filter? You know you can get 20 uses out of one for $25?
6/15/2019 4:46pm
Alec138 wrote:
Oil Change every 5-10hrs depending on riding conditions within those hours and how hard. If you ride dusty areas and pegged out a lot, change it...

kb228 wrote:
You seriously pay $10 for 1 use of a filter? You know you can get 20 uses out of one for $25?
That's insane.
Lynch
6/15/2019 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 10:13pm
Alec138 wrote:

kb228 wrote:
This is the same guy that was mad about stickers not being free

Post a reply to: Ktm 250 SXF Maintenance

The Latest