Knick in lower tube/leaky seal

Noticed yesterday my seal weeping oil, pulled it off and noticed a knick. Of course I just had my suspension serviced 3/4 hours ago. I’d like to try to tackle this job myself for the first time, as leaking fork seals will always be something to deal with. I had it revalved but there’s no sticker to tell me how much or what weight oil was used, racetech says 370 but who knows if that’s what was put in. How can I assure I have the correct amount/weight as the other fork? 49mm Showa 2019 rmz450
|
paddyB745
4/25/2022 2:52pm
Maybe ask the guy that revalved your suspension?
Rickyisms
4/25/2022 4:39pm
Did you fix the gouge in the tube? New seals will shred as soon as they rip past that thing for the first time.

I’ve seen people fill them with JB weld and sand smooth. Most report back with success a couple months later but I don’t know about long term. I have the same problem with a KTM I’m building but I’m just going to buy a good used lower tube and have my suspension guy throw it on.
willbilly
4/25/2022 5:03pm
Fix the nick/ding. Sand smooth with 600 or higher paper backed by a hard object so you only touch the ding. Super glue also works well for filling dings. Sand smooth after filling. Most modern forks use 5w oil and what is printed on the bottle is arbitrary. One manufactures 5 is another’s 3. If you don’t have a manual you can drain the tube overnight into a graduated container. 5-10ml will not drain so keep that in mind.
4/25/2022 6:41pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Did you fix the gouge in the tube? New seals will shred as soon as they rip past that thing for the first time. I’ve seen...
Did you fix the gouge in the tube? New seals will shred as soon as they rip past that thing for the first time.

I’ve seen people fill them with JB weld and sand smooth. Most report back with success a couple months later but I don’t know about long term. I have the same problem with a KTM I’m building but I’m just going to buy a good used lower tube and have my suspension guy throw it on.
Haven’t done anything yet, pulled the dust seal down to try and clear out seal with a seal mate but noticed the knick

The Shop

4/25/2022 6:43pm
willbilly wrote:
Fix the nick/ding. Sand smooth with 600 or higher paper backed by a hard object so you only touch the ding. Super glue also works well...
Fix the nick/ding. Sand smooth with 600 or higher paper backed by a hard object so you only touch the ding. Super glue also works well for filling dings. Sand smooth after filling. Most modern forks use 5w oil and what is printed on the bottle is arbitrary. One manufactures 5 is another’s 3. If you don’t have a manual you can drain the tube overnight into a graduated container. 5-10ml will not drain so keep that in mind.
Good info how much wouldn’t drain is what I was sorta wondering
b_kowalsk
4/25/2022 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2022 7:53pm
I've had success using a knife sharpening stone to polish out nicks in fork tubes. Just enough until it no longer catches your finger nail. Then follow up with a buffing wheel.
If you are concerned with the fluid level I would ask whoever did the revalve.
Factor E
4/26/2022 8:03am
File to take down high spot then sand paper to polish 600/800

Post a reply to: Knick in lower tube/leaky seal

The Latest