Keeping plastics looking clean?

Alec138
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 3:24am
I know most people here like to keep their bikes looking in superb condition. I am same way to an extent. I am currently looking at changing my plastics over to either all white or flo yellow but am wondering how to keep them looking new even after riding them in red clay mud. Any suggestions would be great!
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/11/2019 5:02pm
Wash the bike after each ride and SC1 spray on the plastics all over once it's dry.
Alec138
1/11/2019 5:26pm
Wash the bike after each ride and SC1 spray on the plastics all over once it's dry.
I always wash my bike but my experience in keeping white plastics clean without tearing the bike apart and scrubbing it hard as sh** with a magic eraser for 2 hours gets old quick. I used to use SC1 till it started making me slide all over the bike after spraying it on my shrouds and since i sit up on the tank pretty far it was like ice on my graphics
kb228
1/15/2019 5:07am
Alec138 wrote:
I always wash my bike but my experience in keeping white plastics clean without tearing the bike apart and scrubbing it hard as sh** with a...
I always wash my bike but my experience in keeping white plastics clean without tearing the bike apart and scrubbing it hard as sh** with a magic eraser for 2 hours gets old quick. I used to use SC1 till it started making me slide all over the bike after spraying it on my shrouds and since i sit up on the tank pretty far it was like ice on my graphics
Youre supposed to wipe it off. Also dont spray it on your seat lol.

The Shop

ZB93
1/15/2019 6:26am
Pressure wash with VP's Powerwash or Spray9, then SC1 and everyone will ask you how you get your bike so clean. Just don't hit rotors/levers/grips/seat ect. with SC1, it's silicone based and creates a slick surface.
jsand6769
1/15/2019 10:59am
I pressure wash, then scrub with purple power, pressure wash that off then I hand wash with dawn dish soap. After all that I hand dry and spray with sc1. The only thing is sc1 does attract dirt a little, not bad but a little. I recently tried a product by a local guy in NC and it looked great did not attract dirt at all. I’ll get the name off the can when I get home
nch209
1/18/2019 11:16pm
SC1 is my go to for everything in the shop! I buy it by the case! LOL!
Kyle_Miller
Fantasy
893rd
1/19/2019 10:42am
Posted this in another thread, but i’ll throw it up here too.

I live on the east coast in PA and have seen my fair share of mud caked bikes and this is by far the best process I have found to keep your bike looking like new.

1. Plug exhaust, remove air filter and install air filter wash cover.
2. Pressure wash bike on stand. (I have a Honda gas pressure washer)
3. Lean bike over on stand and pressure wash. (Do both sides)
4. Foam cannon the shizz out of the bike on the stand and give her a quick hit with the hand mit and a soft wash brush. ( foam cannon $16 on amazon and use slick wash or chemical guys stuff in foam cannon)
5. Air dry with compressed air.
6. Spray engine and underside of the bike and fenders with belray 6-1 lubricant. Don’t wipe off just let it soak/dry on. Hands down this is the best stuff to keep mud from sticking to your bike and giving it that like new glossy shine!!! I will say again this is the best stuff ever!
7. Next I put a coat of Maxima SC1 on all the plastics and wipe it down with a rag.
8. Reinstall air filter, remove exhaust plug.
9. Lube chain with belray super clean chain lube.

The one thing I can’t stress enough is to clean your bike ASAP, especially if it’s caked. It will save you a lot of elbow grease and less chance of the dirt staining the bike.
Hotwhls
1/19/2019 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2019 1:10pm
I go the Shout route. I spray Shout on the bike let it soak in for 5 min then I rinse off. Then I spray shout again on the plastics and scrub with magic eraser. Then hose off and dry. The bike looks new after 55 hours on it. I then lube with No Toil chain lube which I really like it doesn't fling off at all it dries to a wax.
mitch199
1/22/2019 6:22pm
I pressure wash everything, then CT-18/water mix spray on, pressure wash that off, then quick hit with sponge and Meguiar's Show 'N' Shine car wash in the bucket.

Hit it with the leaf blower to dry all the water off, then final a quick hit with a chamois.

2006 Model and has over 150 off-road scratchy scrub hours on it and original shrouds/airbox panels/rear fender look great. A splash of Motul Shine 'N' Go doesn't hurt.

This year it'll get new plastic though!

SrfNdirt
1/22/2019 7:41pm
I tried goof off on plastics the other day and it turned out pretty good. Recommended by a fellow Vital member Smile
kb228
1/23/2019 3:23am
Heres a tip.. if you end up having small scratches or those white bend markings you often see on blue plastic, use a heat gun to fix it. Just be careful with it as you dont want to warp it.

Post a reply to: Keeping plastics looking clean?

The Latest