KYB SSS fork service

Related:
Create New Tag

10/9/2018 1:25 PM

I ordered some freshly serviced KYB forks from another vital member and when they arrived, they were leaking a bit of oil out of the bleeder screw hole (as best I can tell - it's bypassing the motion pro bleeder screw o ring). They were packaged really well by the seller, and there was no damage so I chalk it up to UPS just storing them upside down or maybe the air pressure in the transport plane complicated matters.. doesn't really matter..

Either way, I need to check and see how much oil is in them and replace the missing oil. Having never worked on suspension before, is there an easy way to measure and refill or must the whole fork be disassembled?

Please let me know if I can help to provide other details, any help is greatly appreciated.

|

10/9/2018 2:43 PM

A little bit of oil leaked seems like a lot. Was it all over the place or not? I bet it was less than 10cc.if it was me and they were serviced, I would add 5-10cc thru the bleeder hole and be done.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

10/9/2018 5:47 PM

Measure out 5cc of oil and dump it in the other corner of the box, then compare to the existing oil mess. A little oil spilled looks like a lot when in reality it's not. You're probably fine to just run them as-is.

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

10/10/2018 12:44 PM

The oil that bypasses the bleed screws is from the outer chamber. Simply put your forks in a vice or bikes triple clamps and loosen the top nut on the fork. That will allow the outer chamber to slide down. Pour the oil into a measuring jug and measure how much was in there. Standard level is around 330-340ml, minimum is 300 max is 380ml.
Chances are it's fine but if you want to be sure that's how you check.
Also keep an eye around the bleeder screws when you start riding for oil. I've had a few bleeder screws develop leaks over the years

|

10/10/2018 12:48 PM

Thanks for the replies! As for replacing the oil after performing the steps above, just go with the standard KYB 01M Fork oil like this? Is there another option I should consider?

Once again, thank you.

|