KYB AER 48 Cartridge kit

Edited Date/Time 4/19/2018 1:40pm
Just curious if anyone has this installed to replace the Air ???

It popped up on my Facebook just curious to know peoples opinions.
|
m21racing
4/16/2018 11:17am
You can buy complete kit from technical touch. It's up there in price , but some really like the conversion. There are other companies who do.it as well.
4/16/2018 11:30am
m21racing wrote:
You can buy complete kit from technical touch. It's up there in price , but some really like the conversion. There are other companies who do.it...
You can buy complete kit from technical touch. It's up there in price , but some really like the conversion. There are other companies who do.it as well.
It’s a really impressive kit for the money by the looks of it.

Im in England and few guys are selling it.

Interested in hearing peoples feedback who have it installed.
JBecker 72
4/16/2018 11:34am
No experience with that conversion, but you will love getting off the air fork and on to a KYB spring setup. Made a huge difference on my KX450F. Every time I rode it I would think “if only this had the same forks as my YZ”. Now it does. Couldn’t be happier.
m21racing
4/16/2018 11:40am
m21racing wrote:
You can buy complete kit from technical touch. It's up there in price , but some really like the conversion. There are other companies who do.it...
It’s a really impressive kit for the money by the looks of it. Im in England and few guys are selling it. Interested in hearing peoples...

If you're over the pond , KAS suspension is a good friend of mine. Ring him up on his opinion of the kit.

The Shop

4/16/2018 12:14pm
m21racing wrote:
It’s a really impressive kit for the money by the looks of it. Im in England and few guys are selling it. Interested in hearing peoples...

m21racing wrote:
If you're over the pond , KAS suspension is a good friend of mine. Ring him up on his opinion of the kit.
Karl is a good friend of mine to. He’s done fantastic stuff with the air fork.

This is nothing against him and his work because it’s always great I’m just looking for that little extra when track is rough
4/16/2018 12:14pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
No experience with that conversion, but you will love getting off the air fork and on to a KYB spring setup. Made a huge difference on...
No experience with that conversion, but you will love getting off the air fork and on to a KYB spring setup. Made a huge difference on my KX450F. Every time I rode it I would think “if only this had the same forks as my YZ”. Now it does. Couldn’t be happier.
Thanks for that. Appreciate the feedback
jmf535
4/16/2018 2:52pm
I didn't use the Technical Touch kit, but my tuner did convert mine to KYB using the Factory (A-kit) internals, and it was the single greatest thing I ever spent money on. It completely transformed the bike.

blaze 57
4/16/2018 5:10pm
Ended up sending my AER's (new FE 450) to Factory Connection for their performance mods that is suppose to make them plush in chop. Cheaper route so who knows if it will work? I'll report back after I get a ride in down at Horn Rapids for a good test.
jphutch24
4/16/2018 5:28pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Ended up sending my AER's (new FE 450) to Factory Connection for their performance mods that is suppose to make them plush in chop. Cheaper route...
Ended up sending my AER's (new FE 450) to Factory Connection for their performance mods that is suppose to make them plush in chop. Cheaper route so who knows if it will work? I'll report back after I get a ride in down at Horn Rapids for a good test.
Is that also their spring conversion?
slipdog
4/16/2018 5:54pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Ended up sending my AER's (new FE 450) to Factory Connection for their performance mods that is suppose to make them plush in chop. Cheaper route...
I'm sure you'll be more than happy. I can't speak for the FC mods, but I've done quite a few for customers that have said they are as good or better than their past YZ set ups after hating them in stock form. They are very good forks that are set up shitty from the factory. People are too quick to give up on them just because they are "air forks"
blaze 57
4/16/2018 6:00pm
blaze 57 wrote:
jphutch24 wrote:
Is that also their spring conversion?
No, its still the standard AER air fork with something Factory Connection does to get them plusher in chop. They call it their performance package mod or something to that nature. Also had them do the bladder mod to the shock and revalve for desert/moto combo on both ends.
blaze 57
4/16/2018 6:04pm
blaze 57 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
I'm sure you'll be more than happy. I can't speak for the FC mods, but I've done quite a few for customers that have said they...
I'm sure you'll be more than happy. I can't speak for the FC mods, but I've done quite a few for customers that have said they are as good or better than their past YZ set ups after hating them in stock form. They are very good forks that are set up shitty from the factory. People are too quick to give up on them just because they are "air forks"
Crossing my finger on the FC mods. Yep they are a good fork everywhere except corner exit and entrance in chop. I still have my 450 Yam with sss forks and its like riding on pillows compared to these AER's in severe chop.
NeedMoto
4/16/2018 6:28pm
blaze 57 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
I'm sure you'll be more than happy. I can't speak for the FC mods, but I've done quite a few for customers that have said they...
blaze 57 wrote:
Crossing my finger on the FC mods. Yep they are a good fork everywhere except corner exit and entrance in chop. I still have my 450...
Crossing my finger on the FC mods. Yep they are a good fork everywhere except corner exit and entrance in chop. I still have my 450 Yam with sss forks and its like riding on pillows compared to these AER's in severe chop.
Blaze^^^ your write on the money. I don't like my AER for that exact reason. I switch up with my buddy every other session, and his stock 18 yz450 is like riding on pillows.

Chime in as soon as you do your first outing with the new valving. I'm considering going the same route.
blaze 57
4/16/2018 8:17pm
slipdog wrote:
blaze 57 wrote:
Crossing my finger on the FC mods. Yep they are a good fork everywhere except corner exit and entrance in chop. I still have my 450...
NeedMoto wrote:
Blaze^^^ your write on the money. I don't like my AER for that exact reason. I switch up with my buddy every other session, and his...
Blaze^^^ your write on the money. I don't like my AER for that exact reason. I switch up with my buddy every other session, and his stock 18 yz450 is like riding on pillows.

Chime in as soon as you do your first outing with the new valving. I'm considering going the same route.
I'll do a write up for sure. My track at home is currently flooded (washington state) but going south this week end to either Spokane Airway Heights or Horn Rapids. Factory Connection says this fork mod works really well for the chop and of course they won't divulge the R and D secrets what they do to fix it.
4/16/2018 11:08pm
jmf535 wrote:
I didn't use the Technical Touch kit, but my tuner did convert mine to KYB using the Factory (A-kit) internals, and it was the single greatest...
I didn't use the Technical Touch kit, but my tuner did convert mine to KYB using the Factory (A-kit) internals, and it was the single greatest thing I ever spent money on. It completely transformed the bike.

Can you tell me which kit you got ? I’d be interested to hear which one you went with. The kit I was looking at is just the standard kyb aos so what you have must be brilliant. Let me know
jmf535
4/17/2018 9:42am
Can you tell me which kit you got ? I’d be interested to hear which one you went with. The kit I was looking at is...
Can you tell me which kit you got ? I’d be interested to hear which one you went with. The kit I was looking at is just the standard kyb aos so what you have must be brilliant. Let me know
It definitely is brilliant.

Matt with RG3 Denver took care of the conversion...he ordered in all the internals, then machined the stock lugs to accept the rebound adjusters, and bottoming cones. All in, the forks cost me $1600.

I see that you are in the UK, so I don't think you want to send your stuff to the US, but I'm sure someone in your area would know how to machine the lugs?
4/17/2018 11:17am
Can you tell me which kit you got ? I’d be interested to hear which one you went with. The kit I was looking at is...
jmf535 wrote:
It definitely is brilliant. Matt with RG3 Denver took care of the conversion...he ordered in all the internals, then machined the stock lugs to accept the...
It definitely is brilliant.

Matt with RG3 Denver took care of the conversion...he ordered in all the internals, then machined the stock lugs to accept the rebound adjusters, and bottoming cones. All in, the forks cost me $1600.

I see that you are in the UK, so I don't think you want to send your stuff to the US, but I'm sure someone in your area would know how to machine the lugs?
That’s brilliant. I’ll contact RG3 here.

Luckily I can machine them myself as I work on cnc machines everyday so bonus!!!
navalseabee
4/17/2018 6:22pm
Captainc wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/17/256041/s1200_54532C19_4CC0_453B_8EA4_F6B2738D7A61.jpg[/img] First ride tomorrow. Will let you know

First ride tomorrow. Will let you know
what exactly am i looking at here, google revealed nothing
AJ565
4/17/2018 6:58pm
what exactly am i looking at here, google revealed nothing
jmf535
4/17/2018 7:31pm
That’s brilliant. I’ll contact RG3 here.

Luckily I can machine them myself as I work on cnc machines everyday so bonus!!!
I didn't know they had a shop(s) in the UK...but yah, I'm sure they can get you taken care of!

And worst case scenario, you can modify the lugs yourself...or make yourself a nice set of billet ones Wink
4/17/2018 7:32pm
blaze 57 wrote:
I'm not sure a fork can really be considered decent if it exhibits sub par performance on breaking/acceleration bumps. That's a pretty important piece to the puzzle IMO, for moto anyway...but I agree with your overall assessment. I struggle with these forks in those areas as well. Looking forward to hearing your evaluation of the FC mods.

What did that total package run you?
4/18/2018 5:38am
Well I’ve decided to pull the plug and get the kyb cartridge kit from technical touch in Belgium.

Hopefully will be ready to ride the following weekend

This is my biggest purchase for the bike so fingers crossed I’m not disappointed
blaze 57
4/19/2018 10:34am Edited Date/Time 4/19/2018 10:37am
blaze 57 wrote:
I'm not sure a fork can really be considered decent if it exhibits sub par performance on breaking/acceleration bumps. That's a pretty important piece to the...
I'm not sure a fork can really be considered decent if it exhibits sub par performance on breaking/acceleration bumps. That's a pretty important piece to the puzzle IMO, for moto anyway...but I agree with your overall assessment. I struggle with these forks in those areas as well. Looking forward to hearing your evaluation of the FC mods.

What did that total package run you?
The total was $1048. Re-valved both ends. Shock bladder kit. Their Performance AER fork mods. Well test her on Sunday.
Superdave19
4/19/2018 10:56am
blaze 57 wrote:
The total was $1048. Re-valved both ends. Shock bladder kit. Their Performance AER fork mods. Well test her on Sunday.
Looking forward to this review- I actually dig the stk 17 AER's on my TC250, but like most, my complaints are in small chop-
4/19/2018 1:40pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Looking forward to this review- I actually dig the stk 17 AER's on my TC250, but like most, my complaints are in small chop-
Yea I like the AER forks but in the chop it’s not very good.

I just sent my forks off to have the KYB cartridge kits installed so will post a review when I get them back from technical touch.

Post a reply to: KYB AER 48 Cartridge kit

The Latest