KX500 operating temps

quadmx301
Fantasy
2954th
Edited Date/Time 9/19/2022 9:43am
Hi guys,

Just bought my 2nd K5, a 2000 to go along with my ‘02 that’s being rebuilt. Low hours, original motor, never been opened up. Compression excellent; piston, cylinder and head look great with an exhaust port inspection.

When I went through the carb, I dropped to a 55 pilot, N82M needle stayed on the 3rd clip, and I richened the main to a 170. SoCal @ 1200’.

Haven’t yet gone through the cooling system, just topped off the coolant level - was a tad low. I’ll plan to go through the system, preventatively rebuild the water pump, and likely buy a new impeller as well.

Took it out for a quick trail ride earlier this week, and it seemed to be running pretty hot. Last night I rode it again with a Pro Circuit thermostrip on the cylinder, which topped out at 193 degrees after maybe 10 minutes of riding. I opened it up a good amount in the wash, and checked right after. Then I putted it back home, and it had dropped to the 170s.

I’ve never really run thermostrips before this, and wanted to know what is a normal operation temp for K5s? I’m new to the 500 in general, and don’t have a lot of big bore 2 stroke experience. Do the big Kwackers tend to run a touch hot? If so, what can I do to mitigate that?

Oh, and of course - obligatory pics of the sisters

|
Factor E
9/4/2022 9:23am
Jetting - Radiator cap - cooling sys
Gravel
9/5/2022 6:43am
That’s not hot at all if you were running hard in sand.

I never had any overheating problem with the 3 KX500s I had through the 90s, totally solid that way. Watch the motor mounts (all the bolts really..) because when they come loose it’s gonna vibrate and break parts. Pipe mounts are basically disposable.

Great scooters! I loved racing those things, nobody liked them in the mid 90s and I was buying them slightly used for $1200-1500 with original tires still mounted. It’s cool to see them finally get popular!
quadmx301
Fantasy
2954th
9/6/2022 4:54pm
Thanks! They’re a good time. The most favorite bike I’ve owned by far, and I’ve been fortunate to own every last Gen Japanese 125 & 250 2 stroke.

Just trying to be conservative and read the cues the bike is telling me. I’m confident of the bike, and I probably need to just let go some of the hypersensitivity to what it’s doing.

The Shop

Gravel
9/8/2022 7:04pm
I remember mine used to chip reed petals occasionally, if it gets hard to start and everything else checks out take a look at the reeds. And a tall seat helps the ergos a ton if you’ve got the leg length.

The word hypersensitive in relation to a KX500 made me laugh! You’ve gotta enjoy physical abuse at some level to truly make that beast behave, it’ll beat you up if you let it!

Enjoy!
quadmx301
Fantasy
2954th
9/13/2022 11:39am
Well, perhaps just paying too much attention to learning a new class of motor - low idle, insane torque, getting the jetting set up. Lol. You’re right, there’s power everywhere and it is easy to let it hurt you!

Ended up dropping 2 sizes on the Pilot - 52, 2 turns out, N82M needle on the 2nd clip as opposed to the 3rd, and dropped back to a 168 main. Runs cleaner, still gets warm when ridden hard (upper 190s / lower 200s CHT), but I’m not a WFO kind of guy. Flushed the coolant and replaced with some new Peak 50/50, and have a 1.6 cap on the way, though I don’t think it needs it.

Anybody have experience with oversize water pumps on these? Looks like the kits just consist of an oversize impeller and a spacer.
Gravel
9/18/2022 2:21pm
What are you running for gearing? I used to run a stock cs with a 45 rear for everything but non-technical GPs, for fast races I’d add one to the front and keep the 45. They’ll run 90+ with the 45 on a stock cs, over 100 with the bigger cs.

Taller gearing really helps calm the savage beast and makes them more rideable.
quadmx301
Fantasy
2954th
9/18/2022 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 8:52pm
The 2000 is stock. My 2002 is 14/49. I ride them a gear high, and don’t find them to be too terribly brutal.

I’m not a fast, wide open desert guy. We live in SoCal, but I grew up in the Midwest, so I much prefer technical woods riding in 1st or 2nd gear to 5th gear sand whoops. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll grow a pair.
Gravel
9/19/2022 5:04am
Thinking about your initial question about temps, have you checked your crank seals? Or are you running a spark Arrestor? If the crank seals start to go it’ll run lean/hot. And sparkys with the screen would make them run hot as soon as the screen starts clogging up. I always ran a step or two richer than the perfect crisp jetting, that keeps them alive a lot longer and they seemed to run cooler that way. If Maxima SuperM is still available, it worked great at around 40-1. The first KX500 I had came from a desert expert, it had a handlebar mounted choke (enrichener) that was for dry lake running done by guys way braver than I ever was, lol!

As I remember, the easy to check the crank seals was to plug the intake and exhaust, and use a leak down rig to put about 3 psi into the motor. Then use soapy water spray to find any leaks, look for bubbles.

That’s a great looking pair of bikes, it’s so cool to see these things still getting ridden!
quadmx301
Fantasy
2954th
9/19/2022 9:43am
That is on my list of preventative maintenance. I’m going to pull the motor in December and likely do those as well as main bearings, potentially a new rod as well. For now, it’s not running excessively lean, so I think the ignition side is alright, and it’s not loading up too bad and responding to jetting changes, so the oil side should be alright as well. I’m going to keep riding it and keep an eye on it.

Post a reply to: KX500 operating temps

The Latest