KX500 Engine Cases - Stud Removal?

cwtoyota
7/6/2021 12:39pm
I'm working on my KX500 project here today and I would like to remove the cylinder base studs from the cases.

Are the studs in these cases threaded in and removable, or are they cast in place?
I've tried putting substantial torque on them and even applied some heat to one with no luck breaking them loose.

Rather than break a set of nice engine cases that aren't available I'd like to hear from anyone who knows for sure they are removable.

Thanks!
|
Paul_Pitzonka
7/6/2021 1:19pm
They are threaded in and can be removed... find a good penetrating oil and soak them for an extended period of time (I like kroil, it’s a little more expensive but works amazing)... apply some heat after soaking and they should break loose... also if you don’t have a stud removal tool I’d suggest you buy one.
cwtoyota
7/6/2021 1:41pm
They are threaded in and can be removed... find a good penetrating oil and soak them for an extended period of time (I like kroil, it’s...
They are threaded in and can be removed... find a good penetrating oil and soak them for an extended period of time (I like kroil, it’s a little more expensive but works amazing)... apply some heat after soaking and they should break loose... also if you don’t have a stud removal tool I’d suggest you buy one.
Thank you.

Most case studs come out, but I'm a bit more careful around vintage stuff that's out of production.
"Look before you leap".

I'll go for the "oil that creeps" and a little heat around each stud.
kb228
7/10/2021 7:14pm
You can buy new studs. I wouldnt be opposed to welding a nut to them and putting some torque on it

Post a reply to: KX500 Engine Cases - Stud Removal?

The Latest