KX450 wheel fitment

Grovesy98
Edited Date/Time 1/9/2021 10:22am
Is there a way to fit previous generation KXF450 wheels to the 19 - 21 KX450? I understand the front spindle is different? What is needed to make them fit?

Thanks
|
1/8/2021 11:53pm
From my understanding the rear should fit you would just need to change the rotor since the new model rotor is larger. For the front I believe you will need to have the bearings removed and the new model bearings pressed into the hub, then run the new model spacers/ axel.
Grovesy98
1/9/2021 5:03am
Thanks, so it's just a case of changing the front wheel bearings to the 2019 size? Would that be the same for Talon and SM Pro hubs?
pete24
1/9/2021 7:15am
i have Kite hubs took them from my 17 the rear goes on with the disc change i had to get a new hub for the front no one makes bearings that go in the old hub

1/9/2021 7:46am
Contact Dubya wheels and see about changing the front wheel bearings. If memory serves me correct I believe I remember someone posting on here that they had purchased a set of wheel from them and when they bought a newer KX450 sent them back to Dubya to have the bearings swapped to fit the new bike.

The Shop

coastie44
1/9/2021 8:16am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2021 8:19am
I moved some custom cerakoted wheels (stock hubs cerakoted by Faster USA) from my ‘17 to my ‘19 bike. The front fits if you just use the axle and spacers from the ‘18 and earlier. Much easier and you can still swap the wheels back and forth. I have both a ‘17 and ‘19 and have been doing that for the last year.
1/9/2021 10:15am
coastie44 wrote:
I moved some custom cerakoted wheels (stock hubs cerakoted by Faster USA) from my ‘17 to my ‘19 bike. The front fits if you just use...
I moved some custom cerakoted wheels (stock hubs cerakoted by Faster USA) from my ‘17 to my ‘19 bike. The front fits if you just use the axle and spacers from the ‘18 and earlier. Much easier and you can still swap the wheels back and forth. I have both a ‘17 and ‘19 and have been doing that for the last year.
Will that work with the lug differences though? You’re running the kyb kit forks on your 19 right? Seems like the fat end of the axle of the old gen wouldn’t fit correctly in the new fork lug on the new Showa fork. With the new gen forks you would need to use the new gen spacers as well I would think and are the inside diameters not different to accommodate the different sized axel? I just have an old gen (12) but when I plan on upgrading to the new model it’ll be nice to already have this figured out for a spare wheel set lol.
coastie44
1/9/2021 10:18am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2021 10:22am
coastie44 wrote:
I moved some custom cerakoted wheels (stock hubs cerakoted by Faster USA) from my ‘17 to my ‘19 bike. The front fits if you just use...
Will that work with the lug differences though? You’re running the kyb kit forks on your 19 right? Seems like the fat end of the axle...
Will that work with the lug differences though? You’re running the kyb kit forks on your 19 right? Seems like the fat end of the axle of the old gen wouldn’t fit correctly in the new fork lug on the new Showa fork. With the new gen forks you would need to use the new gen spacers as well I would think and are the inside diameters not different to accommodate the different sized axel? I just have an old gen (12) but when I plan on upgrading to the new model it’ll be nice to already have this figured out for a spare wheel set lol.
It worked fine. The old axle fits in the new stock fork fine. There are no differences to the diameter of the axle where it fits into the lugs, only where the bearings ride.

Yes I currently have the KYB kit forks, but had put the '19 stocker forks on my '17 for a bit and just used the old axle/wheel combo.

Post a reply to: KX450 wheel fitment

The Latest