KX250 2T cylinder glazed, hone or scotch brite?

Edited Date/Time 8/26/2018 4:27am
Was about to put the top end back on my KX250 today but noticed the cylinder is pretty badly glazed. There are zero cross hatch marks.

Reading conflicting stories on whether to diamond hone (using a diamond hone specifically made for plated two stroke cylinders), OR to just use scotch brite. I don't see how scotch bright will put cross hairs in a very hard plated cylinder wall.

Some people say they don't touch a glazed cylinder at all (which seems like a bad idea too).

What's the scoop?
|
Paw Paw 271
8/25/2018 11:05am
Sounds like it is time to measure the cylinder before you go any further.

Paw Paw

The Shop

8/25/2018 1:01pm
Sounds like it is time to measure the cylinder before you go any further.

Paw Paw
Don't even need to put calipers on it. There is light chipping below the exhaust port and two tiny divits on another the other side of the cylinder.

Hate mailing parts off but it's either that or drop $600 for a new cylinder (and keep this one as a spare)
Hcallz5
8/25/2018 7:25pm
You may call millennium technologies, I think they have an exchange program where they send your a new reconditioned cylinder and you send them your shot one as a core.
KDXGarage
8/26/2018 4:26am
Hi. I see that you have already decided to send it off for a replate. From your written description, I would say that is a good idea. I have a new in the OEM box 2005 KX250 engine. The cylinder walls have strong cross-hatching on them, as seen in the picture below.

This cylinder sounds worn down, but normally, I would try a pair of nitrile gloves, some green Scotch Brite and some light, clear oil. Follow that up with some warm, soapy water and an old toothbrush. Keep hitting it with the often mentioned white rag cleanliness test. After that, hit it with the hair dryer and a light coat of oil.

Post a reply to: KX250 2T cylinder glazed, hone or scotch brite?

The Latest