KTM engine bearings will NOT come out

Tak_ryan
Edited Date/Time 8/11/2021 9:39pm
I’ve been working at removing these last few bearings and have no idea what the problem is…

Things I’ve tried:
• Heating in oven to 305 and dropping on workbench (per the service manual)
• Heating and pounding with socket/mallet
• Heating and using bearing puller/slide hammer
• Heating, then freezing the bearings with an inverted can of air duster (like liquid nitrogen) combined with everything else above

And still won’t budge at all. They seem to literally fall out in the oven for everyone else, but i think mine are welded in lol

Any other ideas?

Also, is there a way to remove the the camshaft bearings from the head without having to purchase the multiple ktm special tools? A regular blind bearing puller doesn’t seem to work.

|
kb228
7/7/2021 3:52pm
You can always cut them out carefully with a dremel or die grinder.
Paul_Pitzonka
7/7/2021 5:20pm
kb228 wrote:
If you’re very careful this works quite well... or you can remove the rollers from the bearings and grab a mig welder and run a quick bead about 3/4 of the way around the inside of the race it should drop right out... if you’re worried about warping you can preheat the cases first... the bearings in the head I would just buy the correct puller...
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/7/2021 5:35pm
Can you not just push the main bearings out with a press after warming the cases?
Factor E
7/8/2021 7:40am
Use map gas to heat
they should fall out

The Shop

27thmx
7/8/2021 8:51am
Map gas and measure with a temp gun. Sometimes they’re a pain in the ass
willbilly
7/8/2021 6:02pm
In the first picture it looks like corrosion around the outer race of the bearing. I would put penetrating fluid like Kroil in this area and let it soak a few days. I would not use localized heat on the cases as you can warp or crack your case.
Tak_ryan
7/9/2021 9:19am
kb228 wrote:
I’ve thought about it, but i’m saving that as a last resort haha
Tak_ryan
7/9/2021 9:20am
FGR01 wrote:
Can you not just push the main bearings out with a press after warming the cases?
Unfortunately I don’t have a press, or know anyone near me with one.
Tak_ryan
7/9/2021 9:36am
willbilly wrote:
In the first picture it looks like corrosion around the outer race of the bearing. I would put penetrating fluid like Kroil in this area and...
In the first picture it looks like corrosion around the outer race of the bearing. I would put penetrating fluid like Kroil in this area and let it soak a few days. I would not use localized heat on the cases as you can warp or crack your case.
Yeah they corroded from the multiple attempts at heating the case and cooling the bearings—hopefully that didn’t make it worse.

They’ve been soaking in PB blaster for a few days now, so i’ll see what happens.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/9/2021 11:49am
FGR01 wrote:
Tak_ryan wrote:
$20 bottle jack from Harbor freight. Stack about 3 pieces of plywood nice and level, case on plywood, bottle upside down with appropriate sockets/spacers to engage bearing, bottom (now top) of bottle on the underside of the bumper or frame of your truck. Make it all nice and square/straight, pump slowly. Pretty sure bearing will move before the truck lifts.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/9/2021 11:59am
FGR01 wrote:
Tak_ryan wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
$20 bottle jack from Harbor freight. Stack about 3 pieces of plywood nice and level, case on plywood, bottle upside down with appropriate sockets/spacers to engage...
$20 bottle jack from Harbor freight. Stack about 3 pieces of plywood nice and level, case on plywood, bottle upside down with appropriate sockets/spacers to engage bearing, bottom (now top) of bottle on the underside of the bumper or frame of your truck. Make it all nice and square/straight, pump slowly. Pretty sure bearing will move before the truck lifts.
I love this idea. It sounds janky as fuck, but will probably work.
Tak_ryan
7/9/2021 12:32pm
FGR01 wrote:
$20 bottle jack from Harbor freight. Stack about 3 pieces of plywood nice and level, case on plywood, bottle upside down with appropriate sockets/spacers to engage...
Sounds sketchy, i think i’ll try it lol 😂
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/9/2021 12:47pm
Are there no motorcycle or machine shops nearby? I'm sure they'd press them out for a few bucks. Otherwise, bottle jack and truck it is.
Tak_ryan
7/9/2021 2:52pm
FGR01 wrote:
Are there no motorcycle or machine shops nearby? I'm sure they'd press them out for a few bucks. Otherwise, bottle jack and truck it is.
Not really, the closest are about an hour drive
Rickyisms
7/20/2021 9:35am
FGR01 wrote:
Tak_ryan wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
The HF press isn't a bad investment either, not too bad on pricing and makes swingarm and linkage bearing changes a dream, along with that one grumpy engine bearing or wheel bearing.
40acres
7/20/2021 11:46am
Rickyisms wrote:
The HF press isn't a bad investment either, not too bad on pricing and makes swingarm and linkage bearing changes a dream, along with that one...
The HF press isn't a bad investment either, not too bad on pricing and makes swingarm and linkage bearing changes a dream, along with that one grumpy engine bearing or wheel bearing.
Picked one of these up a few months back as I was tired of changing automotive subassemblies that only needed a bearing. It paid for itself a week after purchase with ball joints. Last night I was able to use my bearing puller and press from HF to knock out all new bearings in a yz250f case in under 30 minutes. I'm still wondering WTF I was thinking all those years with torches, freezers, punches and hammers. Never again.
Rickyisms
7/20/2021 12:20pm
Rickyisms wrote:
The HF press isn't a bad investment either, not too bad on pricing and makes swingarm and linkage bearing changes a dream, along with that one...
40acres wrote:
Picked one of these up a few months back as I was tired of changing automotive subassemblies that only needed a bearing. It paid for itself...
Picked one of these up a few months back as I was tired of changing automotive subassemblies that only needed a bearing. It paid for itself a week after purchase with ball joints. Last night I was able to use my bearing puller and press from HF to knock out all new bearings in a yz250f case in under 30 minutes. I'm still wondering WTF I was thinking all those years with torches, freezers, punches and hammers. Never again.
Just used mine to press my crank out of the cases on my KLX. I spend way too much time and money at harbor freight.
40acres
7/20/2021 3:00pm
Rickyisms wrote:
40acres wrote:
Picked one of these up a few months back as I was tired of changing automotive subassemblies that only needed a bearing. It paid for itself...
Rickyisms wrote:
Just used mine to press my crank out of the cases on my KLX. I spend way too much time and money at harbor freight.
That makes 2 of us.
Tracktor
7/21/2021 2:46pm
kb228 wrote:
Tak_ryan wrote:
I’ve thought about it, but i’m saving that as a last resort haha
You don't have to cut clear through. Just score deeply & carefully pop with a cold chisel. Obviously not first choice but if done properly works very well...
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
7/22/2021 12:34pm
Rickyisms wrote:
HF rules.

Motion pros swingarm tool is really slick for pressing bearings in and out too.
Skerby
8/9/2021 7:46am
FGR01 wrote:
Make sure you know who you're taking it to! I asked a shop to press a link bearing out of my CR125 and it came back looking like a pretzel, lol
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/10/2021 11:43am
I still want to hear that someone did the plywood and bottle jack method. I'm going to try that on something before I die, I just know it.
reded301
8/11/2021 5:08pm
Falcon wrote:
I still want to hear that someone did the plywood and bottle jack method. I'm going to try that on something before I die, I just...
I still want to hear that someone did the plywood and bottle jack method. I'm going to try that on something before I die, I just know it.
Can you expound on this?
Asking for a friend.
Bruce372
8/11/2021 9:39pm
Did the bearings come out eventually? I've not seen a cliffhanger like this since "who shot JR?"
Tak_ryan
8/24/2021 9:10am
Bruce372 wrote:
Did the bearings come out eventually? I've not seen a cliffhanger like this since "who shot JR?"
My bad, sorry for leaving you guys hanging 😆

I got busy and my project’s put on hold until further notice, so i still haven’t gotten them out haha

I will for sure post an update as soon as i get them out.

Post a reply to: KTM engine bearings will NOT come out

The Latest