KTM crank damage

jvail134
Edited Date/Time 11/14/2017 1:07am
LoL.... So can anyone take a stab and tell me how this happens? Only one third of the surface on this side of the crank looks like this or has any indication of issue....

|
ktm-5
11/1/2017 5:34pm
That look's like a casting flaw that should have not passed inspection
pete24
11/1/2017 6:18pm
that the inner bearing race it presses off
Hcallz5
11/1/2017 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 7:19pm
I love my KTM's but did they outsource a bunch of stuff and compromise quality on these newer ones?
What year bike is this out of?
jvail134
11/2/2017 12:13am
ktm-5 wrote:
That look's like a casting flaw that should have not passed inspection
There were tiny bits of metal in the bearing, about as small as the pattern on the crank. I did see more than normal metal on the drain bolt the oil change before this happened, but had no idea this would be found......

The Shop

jvail134
11/2/2017 12:16am
Hcallz5 wrote:
I love my KTM's but did they outsource a bunch of stuff and compromise quality on these newer ones?
What year bike is this out of?
This is my 2017 350 sxf.
KTM did warranty the parts to cover this, which I am very grateful for, I just had to cover labor. It has 71 hours when this happened which is a significant amount to cover under warranty in my opinion..
jvail134
11/2/2017 12:18am
pete24 wrote:
that the inner bearing race it presses off
The whole assembly is going back to KTM under warranty.
ktm-5
11/2/2017 12:42am
Wow verify impressive, ktm probably covered because they knew this was no normal wear by any means. Almost even looks like a hardening issue then but heck idk, never seen nothing like that b4
Melicar
11/2/2017 6:05am
What engine oil have you been running in your bike?
jvail134
11/2/2017 6:26am
Melicar wrote:
Motorex 10w50 every 4 hours with KTM filter.
Melicar
11/2/2017 6:44am
Melicar wrote:
jvail134 wrote:
Ok, I had a similar failure in my Honda 450 at 70hrs. It was on the big end pin and I noticed a small amount of metal flakes draining the oil. Checked the filter and there was some there too so I rebuilt it before disaster happened. I had always run Rotella and was just wondering if there was a connection to the oil
jvail134
11/2/2017 8:02am
Well, dammit..... I was thinking about switching to rotella. Guess that's probably not party of this equation.
jvail134
11/2/2017 8:03am
Melicar wrote:
jvail134 wrote:
Melicar wrote:
Ok, I had a similar failure in my Honda 450 at 70hrs. It was on the big end pin and I noticed a small amount of...
Ok, I had a similar failure in my Honda 450 at 70hrs. It was on the big end pin and I noticed a small amount of metal flakes draining the oil. Checked the filter and there was some there too so I rebuilt it before disaster happened. I had always run Rotella and was just wondering if there was a connection to the oil
Is 70 hours the magic Mark?!?
Melicar
11/2/2017 8:58am
jvail134 wrote:
Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!
markit
11/2/2017 2:07pm
jvail134 wrote:
Melicar wrote:
Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what...
Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

That's like three times the service limit. ?
ktm-5
11/2/2017 2:12pm
jvail134 wrote:
Melicar wrote:
Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what...

markit wrote:
Lmao....they are better than that. The 16 250sxf says topend at 50hrs
Melicar
11/2/2017 5:11pm
jvail134 wrote:
Melicar wrote:

markit wrote:
Mine got a fresh top end at 35hrs, which also still looked brand new, when I ported the head and installed a high comp Vertex piston. Also did valve inspections about every 10-15hrs and they never had to be adjusted. That's actually impressive for an '08 Honda and I was more upset that it took me 4 yrs to get to 70hrs than the fact that the crank started letting go, lol
jvail134
11/2/2017 6:11pm
jvail134 wrote:
Melicar wrote:

I was definitely happy about that!! Usually just get " it's a dirt bike, you fix it". It runs so much better now with a crank not made of cheese, that I have to wonder how long it may have been flashing off....
jvail134
11/2/2017 6:12pm
jvail134 wrote:
Melicar wrote:

markit wrote:
70 hours is three times the service limit on a crank? Great, now I can't afford to ride anymore..... ?
jvail134
11/2/2017 6:14pm
Melicar wrote:

markit wrote:
Melicar wrote:
Mine got a fresh top end at 35hrs, which also still looked brand new, when I ported the head and installed a high comp Vertex piston...
Mine got a fresh top end at 35hrs, which also still looked brand new, when I ported the head and installed a high comp Vertex piston. Also did valve inspections about every 10-15hrs and they never had to be adjusted. That's actually impressive for an '08 Honda and I was more upset that it took me 4 yrs to get to 70hrs than the fact that the crank started letting go, lol
Very nice! Other than the crank mine looked quite good as well.... Cross hatch marks in the cylinder, and valves were still well within spec. Just need a crank not made from LEGOs... Lol.
ktm-5
11/2/2017 6:16pm
Melicar wrote:

markit wrote:
jvail134 wrote:
70 hours is three times the service limit on a crank? Great, now I can't afford to ride anymore..... ?
He must have smoked too much and thought it said 700 hrs....lol
markit
11/2/2017 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 6:24pm
You guys are using a lot of ? Marks to not understand what they mean. And good god loosin up!lol thin skin and vital don't mix well. Lol
jvail134
11/2/2017 8:25pm
markit wrote:
You guys are using a lot of ? Marks to not understand what they mean. And good god loosin up!lol thin skin and vital don't mix...
You guys are using a lot of ? Marks to not understand what they mean. And good god loosin up!lol thin skin and vital don't mix well. Lol
This guy knows....
Acidreamer
11/3/2017 9:15am
Melicar wrote:

markit wrote:
jvail134 wrote:
his service interval is probably for inspection not replacement.
Tracktor
11/3/2017 10:15am
markit wrote:
Melicar wrote:
Mine got a fresh top end at 35hrs, which also still looked brand new, when I ported the head and installed a high comp Vertex piston...
jvail134 wrote:
Very nice! Other than the crank mine looked quite good as well.... Cross hatch marks in the cylinder, and valves were still well within spec. Just...
Very nice! Other than the crank mine looked quite good as well.... Cross hatch marks in the cylinder, and valves were still well within spec. Just need a crank not made from LEGOs... Lol.
It isn't part of the crank. It's a pressed on inner race for the LH bearing. KTM uses a roller instead of a ball bearing on one side. The reason only that part shows wear is it's the only part that was carrying a load. You have a bearing failure not a crank failure. Pull the race off and the crank will look fine. On the 85's I replace this with a standard caged ball bearing..............
Giygas
Fantasy
1047th
11/3/2017 10:57am
My brand new FC450 snapped a rocker arm at 7.1 hours. Luckily, KTM/Husky sent my dealer a brand new engine that was covered under warranty.
markit
11/4/2017 10:05pm
markit wrote:
You guys are using a lot of ? Marks to not understand what they mean. And good god loosin up!lol thin skin and vital don't mix...
jvail134 wrote:
This guy knows....
Um, not really on Hondas, that's why I aske the question in the first place that up till now has only vaguely been answered. I know Ktm was around 40 hrs and was thing Honda (was) around 25 hrs years ago.
jvail134
11/14/2017 1:06am
F1 Moto wrote:
Caused by fretting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretting
possibly too little interference.
That sounds like it could be correct.... It says that this only happens on dry surfaces with not enough interference. This area should be coated in oil at all times to my knowledge?

Post a reply to: KTM crank damage

The Latest