KTM crank damage

Related:
Create New Tag

11/1/2017 4:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2017 5:00 PM

LoL.... So can anyone take a stab and tell me how this happens? Only one third of the surface on this side of the crank looks like this or has any indication of issue....Photo

|

11/1/2017 5:34 PM

That look's like a casting flaw that should have not passed inspection

|

11/1/2017 6:18 PM

that the inner bearing race it presses off

|

11/1/2017 7:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2017 7:19 PM

I love my KTM's but did they outsource a bunch of stuff and compromise quality on these newer ones?
What year bike is this out of?

|

2019 TX300
'10 200 XC-w

11/2/2017 12:13 AM

ktm-5 wrote:

That look's like a casting flaw that should have not passed inspection

There were tiny bits of metal in the bearing, about as small as the pattern on the crank. I did see more than normal metal on the drain bolt the oil change before this happened, but had no idea this would be found......

|

11/2/2017 12:16 AM

Hcallz5 wrote:

I love my KTM's but did they outsource a bunch of stuff and compromise quality on these newer ones?
What year bike is this out of?

This is my 2017 350 sxf.
KTM did warranty the parts to cover this, which I am very grateful for, I just had to cover labor. It has 71 hours when this happened which is a significant amount to cover under warranty in my opinion..

|

11/2/2017 12:18 AM

pete24 wrote:

that the inner bearing race it presses off

The whole assembly is going back to KTM under warranty.

|

11/2/2017 12:42 AM

Wow verify impressive, ktm probably covered because they knew this was no normal wear by any means. Almost even looks like a hardening issue then but heck idk, never seen nothing like that b4

|

11/2/2017 6:05 AM

What engine oil have you been running in your bike?

|

11/2/2017 6:26 AM

Melicar wrote:

What engine oil have you been running in your bike?

Motorex 10w50 every 4 hours with KTM filter.

|

11/2/2017 6:44 AM

Melicar wrote:

What engine oil have you been running in your bike?

jvail134 wrote:

Motorex 10w50 every 4 hours with KTM filter.

Ok, I had a similar failure in my Honda 450 at 70hrs. It was on the big end pin and I noticed a small amount of metal flakes draining the oil. Checked the filter and there was some there too so I rebuilt it before disaster happened. I had always run Rotella and was just wondering if there was a connection to the oil

|

11/2/2017 8:02 AM

Well, dammit..... I was thinking about switching to rotella. Guess that's probably not party of this equation.

|

11/2/2017 8:03 AM

Melicar wrote:

What engine oil have you been running in your bike?

jvail134 wrote:

Motorex 10w50 every 4 hours with KTM filter.

Melicar wrote:

Ok, I had a similar failure in my Honda 450 at 70hrs. It was on the big end pin and I noticed a small amount of metal flakes draining the oil. Checked the filter and there was some there too so I rebuilt it before disaster happened. I had always run Rotella and was just wondering if there was a connection to the oil

Is 70 hours the magic Mark?!?

|

11/2/2017 8:58 AM

jvail134 wrote:

Is 70 hours the magic Mark?!?

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

|

11/2/2017 2:07 PM

Melicar wrote:

Ok, I had a similar failure in my Honda 450 at 70hrs. It was on the big end pin and I noticed a small amount of metal flakes draining the oil. Checked the filter and there was some there too so I rebuilt it before disaster happened. I had always run Rotella and was just wondering if there was a connection to the oil

jvail134 wrote:

Is 70 hours the magic Mark?!?

Melicar wrote:

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

That's like three times the service limit. ?

|

11/2/2017 2:12 PM

jvail134 wrote:

Is 70 hours the magic Mark?!?

Melicar wrote:

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

markit wrote:

That's like three times the service limit. ?

Lmao....they are better than that. The 16 250sxf says topend at 50hrs

|

11/2/2017 5:11 PM

jvail134 wrote:

Is 70 hours the magic Mark?!?

Melicar wrote:

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

markit wrote:

That's like three times the service limit. ?

Mine got a fresh top end at 35hrs, which also still looked brand new, when I ported the head and installed a high comp Vertex piston. Also did valve inspections about every 10-15hrs and they never had to be adjusted. That's actually impressive for an '08 Honda and I was more upset that it took me 4 yrs to get to 70hrs than the fact that the crank started letting go, lol

|

11/2/2017 6:11 PM

Melicar wrote:

Ok, I had a similar failure in my Honda 450 at 70hrs. It was on the big end pin and I noticed a small amount of metal flakes draining the oil. Checked the filter and there was some there too so I rebuilt it before disaster happened. I had always run Rotella and was just wondering if there was a connection to the oil

jvail134 wrote:

Is 70 hours the magic Mark?!?

Melicar wrote:

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

I was definitely happy about that!! Usually just get " it's a dirt bike, you fix it". It runs so much better now with a crank not made of cheese, that I have to wonder how long it may have been flashing off....

|

11/2/2017 6:12 PM

jvail134 wrote:

Is 70 hours the magic Mark?!?

Melicar wrote:

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

markit wrote:

That's like three times the service limit. ?

70 hours is three times the service limit on a crank? Great, now I can't afford to ride anymore..... ?

|

11/2/2017 6:14 PM

Melicar wrote:

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

markit wrote:

That's like three times the service limit. ?

Melicar wrote:

Mine got a fresh top end at 35hrs, which also still looked brand new, when I ported the head and installed a high comp Vertex piston. Also did valve inspections about every 10-15hrs and they never had to be adjusted. That's actually impressive for an '08 Honda and I was more upset that it took me 4 yrs to get to 70hrs than the fact that the crank started letting go, lol

Very nice! Other than the crank mine looked quite good as well.... Cross hatch marks in the cylinder, and valves were still well within spec. Just need a crank not made from LEGOs... Lol.

|

11/2/2017 6:16 PM

Melicar wrote:

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

markit wrote:

That's like three times the service limit. ?

jvail134 wrote:

70 hours is three times the service limit on a crank? Great, now I can't afford to ride anymore..... ?

He must have smoked too much and thought it said 700 hrs....lol

|

11/2/2017 6:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/2/2017 6:24 PM

You guys are using a lot of ? Marks to not understand what they mean. And good god loosin up!lol thin skin and vital don't mix well. Lol

|

11/2/2017 8:25 PM

markit wrote:

You guys are using a lot of ? Marks to not understand what they mean. And good god loosin up!lol thin skin and vital don't mix well. Lol

This guy knows....

|

11/3/2017 9:15 AM

Melicar wrote:

Haha I don't know, but everything in my engine was still in brand new condition except for the pin. My machinist had a term for what happened to the pin, which I forgot now, and said he thought it was just a bad batch of pins that Honda got from the supplier.

Glad to hear that KTM covered some of the damage for you!

markit wrote:

That's like three times the service limit. ?

jvail134 wrote:

70 hours is three times the service limit on a crank? Great, now I can't afford to ride anymore..... ?

his service interval is probably for inspection not replacement.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

11/3/2017 10:15 AM

markit wrote:

That's like three times the service limit. ?

Melicar wrote:

Mine got a fresh top end at 35hrs, which also still looked brand new, when I ported the head and installed a high comp Vertex piston. Also did valve inspections about every 10-15hrs and they never had to be adjusted. That's actually impressive for an '08 Honda and I was more upset that it took me 4 yrs to get to 70hrs than the fact that the crank started letting go, lol

jvail134 wrote:

Very nice! Other than the crank mine looked quite good as well.... Cross hatch marks in the cylinder, and valves were still well within spec. Just need a crank not made from LEGOs... Lol.

It isn't part of the crank. It's a pressed on inner race for the LH bearing. KTM uses a roller instead of a ball bearing on one side. The reason only that part shows wear is it's the only part that was carrying a load. You have a bearing failure not a crank failure. Pull the race off and the crank will look fine. On the 85's I replace this with a standard caged ball bearing..............

|

11/3/2017 10:57 AM

My brand new FC450 snapped a rocker arm at 7.1 hours. Luckily, KTM/Husky sent my dealer a brand new engine that was covered under warranty.

|

11/4/2017 10:05 PM

markit wrote:

You guys are using a lot of ? Marks to not understand what they mean. And good god loosin up!lol thin skin and vital don't mix well. Lol

jvail134 wrote:

This guy knows....

Um, not really on Hondas, that's why I aske the question in the first place that up till now has only vaguely been answered. I know Ktm was around 40 hrs and was thing Honda (was) around 25 hrs years ago.

|

11/13/2017 5:45 PM

Caused by fretting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretting
possibly too little interference.

|

"Performance Matters"

11/14/2017 1:06 AM

F1 Moto wrote:

Caused by fretting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretting
possibly too little interference.

That sounds like it could be correct.... It says that this only happens on dry surfaces with not enough interference. This area should be coated in oil at all times to my knowledge?

|