KTM clutch strange activity

Related:
Create New Tag

5/21/2018 4:50 PM

So during the race I was competing in yesterday, my reliable hydraulic clutch on my 08 KTM 250xcw decided to stop working (to define this I mean no hydraulic pressure), about 1 hour into the hare scramble. Then, miraculously it randomly came back a few minutes later. Then, worked decently for about 5 minutes before becoming hard to pull the lever at about halfway of a lever pull, by this I mean I could not pull the lever at all after about halfway point of a "pull". After about a few minutes of this it completely lost all pressure. I obviously would've stopped to see what the issue was but being a few miles away from anything during a hare scramble pretty much ruled that out.
I took apart the slave cylinder to find one of the gaskets torn up, which may have caused this but the fact of how stiff it got at a "half way lever pull" leads me to belive something else was going on. Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? The master cylinder was rebuilt prior to this and had about 3 hours on it and seemed fine. Any input is appreciated.

|

5/21/2018 8:14 PM

Was it the oring that was tore up? Do you have photos?

|

5/22/2018 10:30 AM

The o-ring could have easily gotten lodged in a position that the slave was jammed up which wouldn't allow you to pull. It's rubber, so repeatedly trying to pull the lever more than likely worked it free again. Could very well be your culprit.

|

5/25/2018 5:45 PM

So the plunger on the slave cylinder piston was torn, needed to be replaced anyway... but the culprit of this issue turned out to be the actual nut that holds the clutch assembly to the counter shaft of the transmission somehow loosened itself and came off. Must not have torqued it quite enough. That's my bad. Here's a picture of the torn plunger. Photo

|

5/25/2018 5:53 PM

Yep, that'll do it. Glad you figured it out man!

|