KTM Wheel Hub Coating

Tak_ryan
Edited Date/Time 12/21/2020 6:27pm
Does anyone know if KTM hubs are clear coated?

I’m rebuilding wheels with new rims/spokes and want to get the hubs looking good again while they’re apart. One of them is pretty hazy/oxidized compared to what they look like new, so I’m wondering if it’s the actual aluminum that’s oxidized, or if there’s clear coat on there that can be removed...

They’re off of an ‘18

Front is still looks decent

Rear looks like garbage
|
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
12/7/2020 7:22pm
It's just raw aluminum. Go ahead and polish them up!
Tak_ryan
12/8/2020 12:05am
Luxon MX wrote:
It's just raw aluminum. Go ahead and polish them up!
Okay thanks!
Any particular polish/method you recommend?
I planned on applying clear cerakote afterwards.
MDana87
12/9/2020 12:40pm
I'm sure there are lots of good polish compounds for aluminum out there, but I always had good results using Simichrome.

The Shop

redcouch1212
12/21/2020 8:18am
Has anyone tried to anodize their stock hubs?
Yes, Ive done 2 sets of wheels over the past few years with consistent results. You would have to anodize things a few times to understand what to expect from the process, because any idea that aluminum or cast CANT be anodized is based on the results coming out blotchy or inconsistent, and basically just not what people imagined it would be. Anodize will not hide all blemishes and hit a reset button on the surface of the part, only exception to the slightest degree of which, as I said you need to do it a few times to understand by how much.

The pieces photoed above I would polish(like bench wheel polish) the dullness out of the center areas, and clean the cast surfaces on the sides to a near perfect and consistent result, and I would expected the center area to slightly dull from the polish finish, and the rough cast surface I would expect to be even more dull, a bit matte, from anodize. Consider the process slightly eats into the surface and mostly grows out, so tolerances will change as such when applying or stripping anodize. Stock hubs here are not anodized.
DrewJett747
12/21/2020 6:27pm
Has anyone tried to anodize their stock hubs?
Yes, Ive done 2 sets of wheels over the past few years with consistent results. You would have to anodize things a few times to understand...
Yes, Ive done 2 sets of wheels over the past few years with consistent results. You would have to anodize things a few times to understand what to expect from the process, because any idea that aluminum or cast CANT be anodized is based on the results coming out blotchy or inconsistent, and basically just not what people imagined it would be. Anodize will not hide all blemishes and hit a reset button on the surface of the part, only exception to the slightest degree of which, as I said you need to do it a few times to understand by how much.

The pieces photoed above I would polish(like bench wheel polish) the dullness out of the center areas, and clean the cast surfaces on the sides to a near perfect and consistent result, and I would expected the center area to slightly dull from the polish finish, and the rough cast surface I would expect to be even more dull, a bit matte, from anodize. Consider the process slightly eats into the surface and mostly grows out, so tolerances will change as such when applying or stripping anodize. Stock hubs here are not anodized.
Thanks for the info. I personally will not be doing the anodizing but a company will be. I’ve used Aluminart for a few things and they’ve always turned out amazing

Post a reply to: KTM Wheel Hub Coating

The Latest