KTM Transmission Question

Related:
Create New Tag

1/5/2019 2:39 PM

I was out at a local track in SW Oklahoma that was super ripped. I was in 3rd gear at a high RPM (2018 450 SXF) when my chain broke, got stuck in the front sprocket, and locked up the motor.

I replaced the front sprocket, which had 1 broken tooth, and chain then ran it down the street. The transmission seemed fine as I was able to go through each gear as well as engage the clutch in all 5. I also did an oil change to see if there were any significant metal shavings from the gearbox and there wasn't.

BLUF: Is the transmission possibly damaged or am I just paranoid? My last bike was a total lemon. Going riding tomorrow, I hope all is good.

|

1/5/2019 3:03 PM

Should be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

|

1/5/2019 6:36 PM

If it shifted fine in all gears, runs fine and no metal, what would you be worried about?

|

1/5/2019 10:20 PM

Agree if it shifted good and no metal, enjoy no worries

|

1/6/2019 5:20 AM

Stock chain? How many hrs? I think Ktm"s come with better stock chains than the Japanese bikes, but I still replace all Oem chains with higher quality chains before The first ride....

|

1/6/2019 5:34 AM

sandman768 wrote:

Stock chain? How many hrs? I think Ktm"s come with better stock chains than the Japanese bikes, but I still replace all Oem ...more

Stock chain at 10 hours.

|

1/6/2019 7:36 AM

sandman768 wrote:

Stock chain? How many hrs? I think Ktm"s come with better stock chains than the Japanese bikes, but I still replace all Oem ...more

Blake_424_Dye wrote:

Stock chain at 10 hours.

That's not a lot of time for chain......suck a rock? Maybe chain a little tight? I error on the side of loose chain adjustment in mud, sand, loam....

|