KTM Swingarm/Clutch Cover Protectors any good?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2019 10:08 AM

I found these 2 things on rmatv scrolling around and they are cheaper than the polisport ones yet KTM powerpart branded? How well do these hold up with generic abuse? I want them for protection but dont want junk that will break in 1 tip over or if a rock hits them. I see a bunch of people running swingarm protectors as well on here....

|

1/26/2019 10:14 AM

Alec138 wrote:

I found these 2 things on rmatv scrolling around and they are cheaper than the polisport ones yet KTM powerpart branded? How well do these hold up with generic abuse? I want them for protection but dont want junk that will break in 1 tip over or if a rock hits them. I see a bunch of people running swingarm protectors as well on here....

Pics?

|

1/26/2019 10:15 AM

Most hold moisture . Get a hinson cover, and put decals on swingarm. Helps a bit

|

1/26/2019 10:20 AM

mxb2 wrote:

Most hold moisture . Get a hinson cover, and put decals on swingarm. Helps a bit

Thats what i was worried about but. I ride in the mud and woods and was thinking of buying a set of the acerbis gripper frame guards but thought “wouldnt dirt and mud get behind them anyways”? I know the clutch cover comes with a piece of foam you stick on the cover itself and tighten it down. Wonder if taking some wetherstripping and lining the swingarm guard and frame guards would work?

|

1/26/2019 11:23 AM

the swingarm guard is worth it. I have it on mine

|

1/26/2019 12:53 PM

I run a plastic clutch cover and waterpump cover on my exc-f and they are cheap money for some decent protection. I've thought of getting the swing arm protectors so I don't gouge mine on rocks but just haven't gotten one.

|

1/26/2019 1:02 PM

mxb2 wrote:

They sure do, I had a pair on my old KTM. Wouldn't buy them again.

|

1/27/2019 5:05 AM

Don’t buy swingarm guards. If you don’t take them off after you wash, they scratch the swingarm bad.

|

1/27/2019 6:23 AM

brooklynevans wrote:

Don’t buy swingarm guards. If you don’t take them off after you wash, they scratch the swingarm bad.

What about the acerbis frame guards and clutch cover guard then?

|

1/27/2019 7:49 AM

brooklynevans wrote:

It’s aluminum. It can be refurbished.

|

1/27/2019 9:02 AM

brooklynevans wrote:

Alec138 wrote:

What about the acerbis frame guards and clutch cover guard then?

The frame guards are excellent. Haven’t tried clutch cover

|

1/27/2019 9:03 AM

brooklynevans wrote:

DTR830 wrote:

Not really since KTM has groves on the swingarm unlike all other manufactures. They cause nasty pitted marks and sometimes gouges

|

1/27/2019 10:26 AM

I run the acerbis frame guards on both my bikes and they are excellent. Just don't coat them with SC1 after you wash your bike.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

1/27/2019 8:17 PM

DTR830 wrote:

got that aluminum brightner by the gallon son.

|

1/27/2019 8:18 PM

brooklynevans wrote:

Not really since KTM has groves on the swingarm unlike all other manufactures. They cause nasty pitted marks and sometimes gouges

mill the grooves off with a 50 cutter son

|

1/28/2019 6:37 AM

I have the swingarm cover and have had no issues at all. It uses zip ties to stay on so I can take it off and periodically clean it. No damage to my swingarm as of late, but I am pretty religious about post ride cleaning.

Photo

|

1/28/2019 2:26 PM

I wouldn't run engine covers on a four-stroke due to heat. Swingarm guards, maybe with some ducttape 'padding' to keep the plastic up off the aluminium.

|

KTM250SX YZ125 YZ85 PW80 ZX6 FZX700

1/28/2019 6:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 6:26 PM

I run these on my exc-f along with a pretty beefy skid plate with some side coverage and they don't make it run extra hot or anything

Photo

|

1/28/2019 8:01 PM

YZed250 wrote:

I wouldn't run engine covers on a four-stroke due to heat. Swingarm guards, maybe with some ducttape 'padding' to keep the plastic up off the aluminium.

they come with a piece of weatherstripping tape you put on your swingarm. I was also thinking graphics would stick way better to them as well since the ktm swingarms are textured really rough. my old swingarm graphics peeled off in one ride sad

|

1/28/2019 8:03 PM

Anaxdlere wrote:

I have the swingarm cover and have had no issues at all. It uses zip ties to stay on so I can take it off and periodically clean it. No damage to my swingarm as of late, but I am pretty religious about post ride cleaning.

Photo

any water damage or water issues? everyone says they hold water and mud in? I ride in red clay mud and it gets packed EVERYWHERE afterwards. The stock frame guards are working good but curious with the swingarm guards as the wheel seems like it would PACK the cracks full forcing mud and water behind them?

|

1/28/2019 8:04 PM

seth505 wrote:

I run these on my exc-f along with a pretty beefy skid plate with some side coverage and they don't make it run extra hot or anything

Photo

did you use the stock bolts or did new longer ones come with the guards?

|

1/28/2019 11:03 PM

Alec138 wrote:

did you use the stock bolts or did new longer ones come with the guards?

They come with bolts.

|

2/1/2019 6:18 AM

I have them on my 350 exc-f. I didn't remove them for almost 4 years...(silly I know). My swingarm was just a bit stained when I removed them, but no scratches or gouges....a bit of elbow grease and the swing arm was good as new. The protectors are back on again now. I've also got a pair fitted to my rm-z.

|