KTM Oil Change Question

Related:
Create New Tag

2/15/2019 9:01 AM

NO I am not asking about what "oil to use" but I have already done one oil change on my bike when i bought it. It so far has 4 rides on it and I plan on changing it before the 5th ride. I put a new oil filter in it but did not change the oil screen. Can I use the filter again and clean the screen out again? or replace everything? My buddy says he runs the filter 2 oil changes and the screen 3 and then swaps everything out. My bike just hit 40hrs on it as well. Thanks.

|

2/15/2019 9:05 AM

When you say oil screen are you talking about the long black tube that you pull out next to the left side foot peg? If that is it I think you just clean and inspect it. I don't think you replace that unless there is a hole in it. As far as filters just change them every oil change. They are 5 bucks on Rocky mountain better safe than sorry.

|

2015 YZ250F

2/15/2019 10:08 AM

Hotwhls wrote:

When you say oil screen are you talking about the long black tube that you pull out next to the left side foot peg? If that is it I think you just clean and inspect it. I don't think you replace that unless there is a hole in it. As far as filters just change them every oil change. They are 5 bucks on Rocky mountain better safe than sorry.

Yeah the bottom filter is the one i didnt change. If it isnt much i may just replace it anyways just to have to have everything fresh. Is there a specific way to clean them out? Like with some contact cleaner and air hose?

|

2/15/2019 11:50 AM

I just spray with carb clean and blow out the mesh filter screen.

|

2015 YZ250F

2/15/2019 11:54 AM

Hotwhls wrote:

I just spray with carb clean and blow out the mesh filter screen.

ok. I called the dealer and they have to order more screens and filters so i wont change it till next week.

|

2/15/2019 12:39 PM

Im with hotwheels. I never changed the sceens on my last ktm. 150 hours on it. New bike has 40 hours, same deal. I look at them closely, blow them out with carb cleaner, look again. If all is well, back it goes. Never had an issue. I do the filter every 2 oil changes. Sometimes 3.

|

2/15/2019 12:47 PM

some bikes you cant even replace the screen without splitting the cases. On my yz I pull it and check it every few oil changes. When I was breaking in the bike there were a few small shavings. Just spray it with brake clean and make sure its clean. let it dry for a few mins and put it back in. no one I know ever replaces them.

|

2/15/2019 1:11 PM

Am I reading it right that you have 40 hours on your bike and have only changed the oil once?

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

2/15/2019 1:39 PM

AJ565 wrote:

Am I reading it right that you have 40 hours on your bike and have only changed the oil once?

pretty sure he just bought it, but has a huge lack of search button usage.

|

2/17/2019 11:40 PM

Alec138 wrote:

ok. I called the dealer and they have to order more screens and filters so i wont change it till next week.

Why dont you just order the parts yourself? Use The Google.

|

2/18/2019 9:07 AM

I only replaced the screen at about 30hrs because I tore one of the o-rings and could not find a suitable replacement.

Outside of that, oil change ever 5-7hrs, and oil filter and screen clean every 2nd oil change. 450+hrs of that and no issues..

|