KTM/Husky to Japanese front end swap?

GCBC
Stupid question.

what yr jap bike can you losen the 8bolts in the clamps, and drop the whole front end wheel and brake over to a 17-19 ktm and the ktm stuff back over to the jap bike?

|
jaredkeller96
3/24/2020 8:11pm
GCBC wrote:
Stupid question. what yr jap bike can you losen the 8bolts in the clamps, and drop the whole front end wheel and brake over to a...
Stupid question.

what yr jap bike can you losen the 8bolts in the clamps, and drop the whole front end wheel and brake over to a 17-19 ktm and the ktm stuff back over to the jap bike?

Do some fork clamping Diameters on the ktm.
Rmz is 55mm upper 59.3 lower
Crf is 54mm upper and 59.3 lower
Yamaha 54mm upper and 59.3 lower

Just do some basic measurements and you’ll know what bike you need the donors from.
GCBC
3/24/2020 9:46pm
GCBC wrote:
Stupid question. what yr jap bike can you losen the 8bolts in the clamps, and drop the whole front end wheel and brake over to a...
Stupid question.

Do some fork clamping Diameters on the ktm. Rmz is 55mm upper 59.3 lower Crf is 54mm upper and 59.3 lower Yamaha 54mm upper and 59.3...

Just do some basic measurements and you’ll know what bike you need the donors from.
gotcha so wheel width:fork tube center points are all the same its as simple as clamp diameters?
mwmx54
3/24/2020 11:29pm
GCBC wrote:
Stupid question.

Do some fork clamping Diameters on the ktm. Rmz is 55mm upper 59.3 lower Crf is 54mm upper and 59.3 lower Yamaha 54mm upper and 59.3...

GCBC wrote:
gotcha so wheel width:fork tube center points are all the same its as simple as clamp diameters?
I’m not 100% sure about wheel width across different makes/models, but I’d bet there are minor differences. the right side can usually be made up for, but the caliper side you’d probably need custom spacers.
My limited research shows that newer Yamaha forks will fit the newer ktm triples, with the use of a 1mm shim in the lower clamp.(Yamaha forks are 2mm narrower on the bottom clamp) I do think the axle? width is the same though. Quite a few have done this swap.
AJ565
3/25/2020 6:29am
There are no direct swaps or you would hear more about it. I think its also been mentioned that the lower lug axle offset is another thing that would change the way the bike handled if someone did do a direct swap.

Secondly you will change the feel of the bike if you put a fork on that was designed for a aluminum frame bike. I think this was one of the problems Chad Reed had with his bike when he started riding Husky and ended up swapping for the Technical Touch conversion instead of full KYB forks.

The Shop

mx317
3/25/2020 10:16am
Do KYB inserts if you want KYB type forks. ENZO is doing a great job with this.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
3/25/2020 10:47am
GCBC wrote:
Stupid question.

None of them will work. There are a lot of variables at play here, primarily fork tube diameters and fork tube spacing. None are consistent between the KTM and Japanese bikes.
Hammer 663s
3/25/2020 12:51pm
No point in a swap. There are too many good conversions out there to use, and they've done the homework for you. You are only limited by your budget. MX Tech, TTX, Tech Touch, Dal Saggio, CVs, A kit. Some need new clamps, some not.

Hammer
GCBC
3/25/2020 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2020 1:22pm
alright, I get it. no switcharoo.
Will be reviewing options.

Id have zero hesitation to spend 5k on a set of forks and shock if I know I could take them from bike to bike for a few years bouncing from a 20' 150sx to a 22' 350sxf to a 23' whatever....
AJ565
3/25/2020 1:57pm
GCBC wrote:
alright, I get it. no switcharoo. Will be reviewing options. Id have zero hesitation to spend 5k on a set of forks and shock if I...

Id have zero hesitation to spend 5k on a set of forks and shock if I know I could take them from bike to bike for a few years bouncing from a 20' 150sx to a 22' 350sxf to a 23' whatever....
Then get cone valves and a trax from power band and be done with it.
Hammer 663s
3/25/2020 3:48pm
GCBC wrote:
alright, I get it. no switcharoo. Will be reviewing options. Id have zero hesitation to spend 5k on a set of forks and shock if I...

AJ565 wrote:
Then get cone valves and a trax from power band and be done with it.
Or a full Lucky system Carbon with coatings and the MX Tech National shock.
erik_94COBRA
3/25/2020 3:52pm
I swapped a set of forks/wheel/etc from a 3rd gen Honda to my 14 KTM 150 for a test. Worked fine but required shims.

Revalved WP CC spring forks are a great option for the cost conscious. I would like to try the KYB inserts next. Cone Valves and Trax are also good but pricy.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
3/25/2020 4:56pm
Or a full Lucky system Carbon with coatings and the MX Tech National shock.
By chance are you running that set up?

I am running the Dal Soggio Sphere Kit that has crosshatching/micro finish set up dang good for me with a Stock WP shock with a Racetech bladder kit, Racetech gold valve, and crosshatching. Motovate Racing set up both for my skill, weight, and type of riding.
Saying all that I am going to get the full KYB kit front and rear from Technical Touch KYB USA on my next bike. So my question is if you have the MXTECH set up have you compared it to a KYB kit, obviously “SLIM” chances? Both are incredible set ups for sure and like you mentioned before it’s all about how big the pocketbook is.

Thank you for your time and I don’t think this will derail this post
Hammer 663s
3/25/2020 6:37pm
smv ryder wrote:
By chance are you running that set up? I am running the Dal Soggio Sphere Kit that has crosshatching/micro finish set up dang good for me...
By chance are you running that set up?

I am running the Dal Soggio Sphere Kit that has crosshatching/micro finish set up dang good for me with a Stock WP shock with a Racetech bladder kit, Racetech gold valve, and crosshatching. Motovate Racing set up both for my skill, weight, and type of riding.
Saying all that I am going to get the full KYB kit front and rear from Technical Touch KYB USA on my next bike. So my question is if you have the MXTECH set up have you compared it to a KYB kit, obviously “SLIM” chances? Both are incredible set ups for sure and like you mentioned before it’s all about how big the pocketbook is.

Thank you for your time and I don’t think this will derail this post
I am not. I'm sure I am not fast enough to take advantage of the Carbon and the National. Nor is my wallet thick enough. Smile

I have the Gen 1 Lucky replacing the AER internals on an '18 FC350, and the stock WP rear with the MX Tech Tank, low-friction bushings and seals, and a revalve to match the front. Full setup was approx $2k all in, incl. shipping to/from + their box. That stayed in my budget and covered both ends of the bike with a solid upgrade from stock. I've posted recent review on this setup after some 10 hours of use. It is very good and meets my needs, especially easier self-maintenance with the OC fork and non-bladder shock.

I've not yet read a review on the Lucky Carbon/National shock pairing. It's so new I'm not sure there are many out there.

Hammer

Post a reply to: KTM/Husky to Japanese front end swap?

The Latest