KTM/Husky air filter cage problem.

Slosh 112
Ive got an 18 TC250 and I've noticed when I take the air filter out for cleaning that there is sometimes dirty water marks running downwards from the top right corner, sometimes even a few bits of sand depending on what track I've been at.

So I took the filter off the cage and yeah its what I thought, the top right corner of the cage doesn't contact the air boot base only from half way round to the lower left corner does it contact the base, at the biggest gap it would be around 5 - 6mm, can't get a rule in there to measure it, gotta feel around with my hand to feel the gap. I would post a picture but you can't see anything.

This is why I'm getting water and bits of sand ingress past the grease and seal on the base, anybody have a fix for this?
I was thinking about the Twin Air Power flow cage but I don't wanna spend all that money if its the same.
|
4/1/2018 7:54pm
how about a bit of filter grease around the edges? No Toil sells a kit with cleaner/oil/grease for cheap usually
Slosh 112
4/1/2018 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2018 8:09pm
Arrowangel wrote:
how about a bit of filter grease around the edges? No Toil sells a kit with cleaner/oil/grease for cheap usually
Yeah like I said in the post its getting past the grease and foam on the base because the cage doesn't sit flat on the base of the air boot. like everybody I use rubber grease around the base of the filter.
mx317
4/2/2018 8:11am
Is the cage or airbox base warped?
mx317
4/2/2018 8:13am
Also make sure the insert the cage pops into is still in place. That would let it be loose on the seal between the filter and airbox.

The Shop

MX915
4/2/2018 9:07am
Stock carb? Ive read where some of the popular Mikuni substitues have longer bodies and as a result were pushing the boot back into the airbox.
exbmxmx
4/2/2018 9:14am
Try out the PC Racing Pro Seal foam seal that attaches to the air box. It's about an 1/8" thick and would make up for any inconsistencies in between the air box and filter cage.
Slosh 112
4/3/2018 2:22am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2018 2:40am
mx317 wrote:
Also make sure the insert the cage pops into is still in place. That would let it be loose on the seal between the filter and...
Also make sure the insert the cage pops into is still in place. That would let it be loose on the seal between the filter and airbox.
No the cage is good, it fits both ways with same issue. The Air boot looks good can't see a warp, don't think the its the airbox/subframe either, I don't think the Carbon Plastic would bend it would just break??

The little rubber doobrey the cage pops into is in the right spot, A friend of mine has a 2018 FC350 he's going to check to see if his has anything similar. Maybe I'll just buy another filter cage see what that unveils...
Slosh 112
4/3/2018 2:32am
MX915 wrote:
Stock carb? Ive read where some of the popular Mikuni substitues have longer bodies and as a result were pushing the boot back into the airbox.
I swapped out the stock Mikuni for a 38mm HV Lectron, I bought the whole kit not just the carby which comes with the shorter reed cage boot, also have a V-Force 4 fitted because stock cage is junk. I haven't measured the overall length from intake trumpet to end of reed cage boot.

Don't know that it being too long is the issue seeing as the issue I have is the mounting hole the cage pops into isn't close enough to the air boot base to seal the filter properly, which would relate to the carby and reed cage boot being shorter and pulling the air boot through the opening it goes through in the air box and it would have to be a lot short to pull it that hard that I would have noticed that when I fitted it.

**FYI the filter seals directly to air boot, not onto the airbox which in turn seals to the air boot**
Slosh 112
4/3/2018 2:36am
exbmxmx wrote:
Try out the PC Racing Pro Seal foam seal that attaches to the air box. It's about an 1/8" thick and would make up for any...
Try out the PC Racing Pro Seal foam seal that attaches to the air box. It's about an 1/8" thick and would make up for any inconsistencies in between the air box and filter cage.
Going by there website they don't make one for 17/18 KTM/Husky's, and though it would work I'd like to find out why I've got such a big gap, thought maybe somebody with the same bike would chime in if theres is the same or not?
MX915
4/3/2018 5:54am
Is this the bike that was in the trailer fire? (saw your other post). Is it possible things could have gotten a little warped due to the heat or maybe a little damage when tossed around out of the trailer? Just grasping at straws.
mx317
4/3/2018 6:10am
Something else to look for on these models is the center post on the airfilter cage can have burrs that can cut the filter. Just sand down the tip of the center post to prevent this. I have seen more than one like this and my first filter was torn and had to be replaced.
exbmxmx
4/3/2018 8:31am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2018 8:34am
exbmxmx wrote:
Try out the PC Racing Pro Seal foam seal that attaches to the air box. It's about an 1/8" thick and would make up for any...
Slosh 112 wrote:
Going by there website they don't make one for 17/18 KTM/Husky's, and though it would work I'd like to find out why I've got such a...
Going by there website they don't make one for 17/18 KTM/Husky's, and though it would work I'd like to find out why I've got such a big gap, thought maybe somebody with the same bike would chime in if theres is the same or not?
I have one of the PC seals on my 17' 125 and 18' 250sxf. Pretty sure all the big bike air filters and filter cages are the same shape with the main difference being the anti flame screen. RockymountainATV is where I ordered mine.
fourfourone
4/3/2018 8:35am
the crap filter cage design caused my 16 250sx to blow up at only 25 hours
alexk417
4/3/2018 11:50am
If you're concerned, the entire rubber intake boot is easily removed from the "airbox" portion. Could be worth removing, inspecting, cleaning and reinstalling to ensure it's in place securely and aligned. Also worth making sure your quick connector clutches are in good shape.

Once reinstalled or before the above, inspect the OEM cage by mounting it without a filter so you can better see how close to the boot it's mating. Maybe yours is warped or flawed on the upper corner I'd buy another OEM one, or I believe there are some aftermarket options. No-Toil comes to mind.

When I'm installing mine, I really reach up and around the filter to ensure the filter is mating with the boot flange and ensure everything is secured. I also am usually changing filters after every ride... #OCD...oh well.

Slosh 112
4/3/2018 6:17pm
MX915 wrote:
Is this the bike that was in the trailer fire? (saw your other post). Is it possible things could have gotten a little warped due to...
Is this the bike that was in the trailer fire? (saw your other post). Is it possible things could have gotten a little warped due to the heat or maybe a little damage when tossed around out of the trailer? Just grasping at straws.
Yep sure is haha. It wouldn't be warped because we got the bikes out before the trailer caught fire, and I don't think that It could be bent as the air box/ subframe is made of that carbon fibre polymer plastic so it would just break if it was hit hard enough, no bending.
Slosh 112
4/3/2018 6:20pm
mx317 wrote:
Something else to look for on these models is the center post on the airfilter cage can have burrs that can cut the filter. Just sand...
Something else to look for on these models is the center post on the airfilter cage can have burrs that can cut the filter. Just sand down the tip of the center post to prevent this. I have seen more than one like this and my first filter was torn and had to be replaced.
I have heard about that, I haven't noticed it yet with 10 hours on the bike but i only keep my filters for 3 washes and they go in the bin any way so they probably don't have time to tear. I'll do it any way seeing as it could tear while I'm riding I guess, cheers!
Slosh 112
4/3/2018 6:23pm
exbmxmx wrote:
I have one of the PC seals on my 17' 125 and 18' 250sxf. Pretty sure all the big bike air filters and filter cages are...
I have one of the PC seals on my 17' 125 and 18' 250sxf. Pretty sure all the big bike air filters and filter cages are the same shape with the main difference being the anti flame screen. RockymountainATV is where I ordered mine.
ok ill have a look, I went onto PC Racings website and I couldn't see a listing for the new models. How long do they last?
Slosh 112
4/3/2018 6:28pm
alexk417 wrote:
If you're concerned, the entire rubber intake boot is easily removed from the "airbox" portion. Could be worth removing, inspecting, cleaning and reinstalling to ensure it's...
If you're concerned, the entire rubber intake boot is easily removed from the "airbox" portion. Could be worth removing, inspecting, cleaning and reinstalling to ensure it's in place securely and aligned. Also worth making sure your quick connector clutches are in good shape.

Once reinstalled or before the above, inspect the OEM cage by mounting it without a filter so you can better see how close to the boot it's mating. Maybe yours is warped or flawed on the upper corner I'd buy another OEM one, or I believe there are some aftermarket options. No-Toil comes to mind.

When I'm installing mine, I really reach up and around the filter to ensure the filter is mating with the boot flange and ensure everything is secured. I also am usually changing filters after every ride... #OCD...oh well.

Yeah I do the same when fitting the filter thats how I noticed this, plus when I've had muddy water and bits of sand make its way past the seal. I did fit the cage without the filter when I first found this and there is a sizeable gap there in the top right corner.

I've ordered a new OEM cage to see if thats the problem, if it is ill buy a Twin Air billet cage that has no chance of warping.
mx317
4/4/2018 10:52am
mx317 wrote:
Something else to look for on these models is the center post on the airfilter cage can have burrs that can cut the filter. Just sand...
Slosh 112 wrote:
I have heard about that, I haven't noticed it yet with 10 hours on the bike but i only keep my filters for 3 washes and...
I have heard about that, I haven't noticed it yet with 10 hours on the bike but i only keep my filters for 3 washes and they go in the bin any way so they probably don't have time to tear. I'll do it any way seeing as it could tear while I'm riding I guess, cheers!
While installing a filter it can tear it. Easy to check and fix, just smooth it out.
mwssquad827
4/4/2018 11:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 11:50pm
exbmxmx wrote:
Slosh 112 wrote:
Going by there website they don't make one for 17/18 KTM/Husky's, and though it would work I'd like to find out why I've got such a...
Yes they do I have one on my bike and mine is sealed good before the seal.. I just always put the PC seal on all my bikes
joe846
4/6/2018 12:51pm
New filter cage and filter with full rubber bottom like DT1. Seems like a bad cage to me, but the rubber base filters always help (not just the added separate seals).

Could use a 3 layer filter as well, which is a little thicker and will take up more room.

Seems like a uncommon issue though and the Lectron seems to be the stand out mod in my mind...
Slosh 112
4/7/2018 4:16am
joe846 wrote:
New filter cage and filter with full rubber bottom like DT1. Seems like a bad cage to me, but the rubber base filters always help (not...
New filter cage and filter with full rubber bottom like DT1. Seems like a bad cage to me, but the rubber base filters always help (not just the added separate seals).

Could use a 3 layer filter as well, which is a little thicker and will take up more room.

Seems like a uncommon issue though and the Lectron seems to be the stand out mod in my mind...
Yeah its not the Lectron, boot sits flat in the box. Its the cage, put it on a glass table yesterday and its warped like F%$#K. got a new one on order, if it works Ill buy a billet Twin Air power flow cage.

Post a reply to: KTM/Husky air filter cage problem.

The Latest