KTM / Husky LiPo Battery PROBLEMS

Related:
Create New Tag

3/29/2018 9:17 AM

I have a leftover 2017 FC350. Still very few hours on it.

From the day I got it, it has always had issues starting. Even with doing the "warm up" procedure. The battery just seemed weak.

So I've used my trickle charger a few times. It automatically shuts off when the battery is charged.

As long as I was riding the bike once a week, I have never been unable to get it started. Until now. I dropped the bike off at my shop to have gaskets replaced (leaked from the factory, musta been a "friday bike"). 3 weeks later I get the bike back and the battery is so dead it wont even turn over but a few weak times.

Battery is toast right? Anyone know why? What did I do wrong?

I guess I'll be ordering a new battery. My dealer sucks so it's not even worth the hassle of warranty claims.

To prevent this from happening again, what should I do?

I'll order a LiPo specific battery charger https://www.ktm-parts.com/58429074100.html

$160 seems overkill for a battery charger. KTM supposedly makes a $40 version but I cannot find it anywhere online. Any help finding it would be appreciated.

Is it possible to rehab my old battery back into shape with the fancy expensive charger?

Thanks.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

3/29/2018 9:20 AM

The OEM batteries in these bike are junk right out of the crate. Spend the bucks and get a LI battery and go ride.

Paw Paw

|

3/29/2018 9:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2018 12:29 PM

Im thinking Im gonna order this battery:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/490-2526.html

It is a Lithium Iron PHOSPHATE battery like OEM right? Just better?

And this charger:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/56-1129.html

Am I good?

|

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

3/29/2018 9:35 AM

I believe most guys were ordering the WPS battery and said it was cheaper and had better cranking amps. I know CarlinoJoe and a few other will chime in soon with what they use

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/29/2018 11:07 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I believe most guys were ordering the WPS battery and said it was cheaper and had better cranking amps. I know CarlinoJoe and a few other will chime in soon with what they use

Better than the Shorai equivalent?

|

3/29/2018 11:25 AM

Can't compare it to a Shorai, but the WPS started my 450 up almost instantly after sitting all winter with no charging and everything still connected. I was pleasantly surprised.

|

3/29/2018 12:05 PM

Get a Shorai and call it a day. It cranks instantly and you will most likely never have to charge it. It will start the bike right up in after it’s been sitting up in the cold months.

Photo

|

3/29/2018 12:14 PM

Giygas wrote:

Get a Shorai and call it a day. It cranks instantly and you will most likely never have to charge it. It will start the bike right up in after it’s been sitting up in the cold months.

Photo

I cannot find the part number of the Shorai for my bike. Any help?

|

3/29/2018 12:30 PM

X3 on the WPS, it fits in stock battery box and is badass compared to stock and it can sit for a month and start right up and all I do is the warm up process once and its ready.

|

3/29/2018 12:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2018 12:46 PM

ktm-5 wrote:

X3 on the WPS, it fits in stock battery box and is badass compared to stock and it can sit for a month and start right up and all I do is the warm up process once and its ready.

The WPS seems like the ticket. Half the weight of the Shorai.

Im totally confused by the labeling tho. OEM is a Lithium Iron Phosphate.

WPS and the Shorai’s are labeled as Lithium Ion. And the LiFePO4’s I find wont fit my bike. So I get confused.

In fact, the Shorai only fits a 2018. Why?

Trying not to overthink it but I cant help myself. My curiosity has me wondering the differences.

|

3/29/2018 12:55 PM

Not sure of the difference's either but I get your over thinking...lol

|

3/29/2018 2:44 PM

Shorai is the way to go. WPS would be my second choice. The batteries offered by KTM are junk and will not last.

Paw Paw

|

3/29/2018 3:26 PM

Buy the Tusk kit from Rocky Mountain. It comes with the XC battery tray and a new Tusk LiPo battery. The Tusk battery has been great for me...and when it finally shits you are able to fit the bigger WPS/Shorai battery. The WPS battery is very good...

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

3/29/2018 3:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2018 3:36 PM

Yeah WPS Feather Light for me. I think I'm going on my 3rd season with it. Sometimes my 250F will sit for 2 months and she fires right up.
Photo

|

3/29/2018 3:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2018 3:59 PM

ktm-5 wrote:

Jabroni wrote:

The WPS seems like the ticket. Half the weight of the Shorai.

Im totally confused by the labeling tho. OEM is a Lithium Iron Phosphate.

WPS and the Shorai’s are labeled as Lithium Ion. And the LiFePO4’s I find wont fit my bike. So I get confused.

In fact, the Shorai only fits a 2018. Why?

Trying not to overthink it but I cant help myself. My curiosity has me wondering the differences.

You need to change your battery tray to the XC model to have it fit, Wps has a battery with the tray in a kit, if you go shorai you have to buy the tray yourself.

|

3/29/2018 9:13 PM

BobPA wrote:

Buy the Tusk kit from Rocky Mountain. It comes with the XC battery tray and a new Tusk LiPo battery. The Tusk battery has been great for me...and when it finally shits you are able to fit the bigger WPS/Shorai battery. The WPS battery is very good...

^ This, I highly recommend it

|

3/30/2018 2:56 AM

Does anyone use the bigger tray and can recommend a battery?

|

3/30/2018 12:55 PM

The 2018 KTM and Husky's come with the bigger battery tray and battery (the battery that was previously used on the 2016+ KTM XC-F models).

We've personally had such great luck with that battery that I ordered an OEM replacement. My dad's 2016 XC-F hasn't had any battery issues but having no prior experience with this type of battery, we just aren't sure how long they'll go before they go dead. Anyone know what type of life you can expect out of one?

BTW, Rocky Mountain lists the KTM OEM battery as $107.99 on their main site under the battery category but if you go to the OEM parts fiche portion of the site and find it on there it only costs $91.19. The battery tray runs $22.48

|

3/30/2018 10:01 PM

SPYGUY wrote:

The 2018 KTM and Husky's come with the bigger battery tray and battery (the battery that was previously used on the 2016+ KTM XC-F models).

We've personally had such great luck with that battery that I ordered an OEM replacement. My dad's 2016 XC-F hasn't had any battery issues but having no prior experience with this type of battery, we just aren't sure how long they'll go before they go dead. Anyone know what type of life you can expect out of one?

BTW, Rocky Mountain lists the KTM OEM battery as $107.99 on their main site under the battery category but if you go to the OEM parts fiche portion of the site and find it on there it only costs $91.19. The battery tray runs $22.48

That explains why the Shorai only fits the 2018.

I went with the WPS Featherlight. Namely because I wanted the smaller/lighter battery.

The bike never fired up so quickly. Better than when it first came home from the dealership.

|

3/31/2018 10:12 AM

I have the WPS also and would recommend it.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

3/31/2018 7:55 PM

Yes on the WPS( verify size ). Double check though, I don't think that battery tender if for lithium. They do make one though.

|

4/1/2018 3:01 AM

130CCA is still a little low, the stock one in my bike when i looked it up was 120CCA.
I now have a 220CCA lithium fitted, spins up real quick

|

4/1/2018 5:36 PM

bowser wrote:

130CCA is still a little low, the stock one in my bike when i looked it up was 120CCA.

What battery do you have?

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

4/1/2018 5:50 PM

bowser wrote:

captmoto wrote:

Shorai is 220cc stock is 130 or 135cc

|

4/2/2018 3:55 AM

bowser wrote:

captmoto wrote:

SSB 12V LH5L-BS LITHIUM MOTORCYCLE BATTERY

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281163292714
|

4/2/2018 7:48 AM

bowser wrote:
SSB 12V LH5L-BS LITHIUM MOTORCYCLE BATTERY

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281163292714

Nice but "may not ship to U.S.".

|

4/2/2018 8:08 AM

bowser wrote:

Stock in mine was 90.

So now that it has a 130, it starts better than it ever has.

|

4/2/2018 8:30 AM

They don't have the right battery pictured but that is the right part number and it's a good price battery normally retails for about 160.00 its 210cc the pic is 135 in normally retails for around $90

Photo

|

4/2/2018 11:21 AM

What about AGM batteries? They seem to be about half the price of LiPo bateriez.

|

4/2/2018 11:56 AM

I can agree with what is being said here. I had a Shorai in a Husky supermoto and it would crank up no problem after sitting 2-3 months. I know have a WPS in my KTM exc-f and it's great as well.

|