125/150/250/300 KTM/HUS/GG jetting thread

moore433
9/6/2020 3:28pm
I have a 2020 ktm150sx that I just got and had my first good ride on today... I had installed the fmf pipe and shorty silencer.
I put the optional needle in it in the 2nd from the top position and it ran great!!!
Stock jets on everything else...
I think it could be a little leaner on the pilot, but overall I was happy with it!!
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/6/2020 4:56pm
moore433 wrote:
I have a 2020 ktm150sx that I just got and had my first good ride on today... I had installed the fmf pipe and shorty silencer...
I have a 2020 ktm150sx that I just got and had my first good ride on today... I had installed the fmf pipe and shorty silencer.
I put the optional needle in it in the 2nd from the top position and it ran great!!!
I think it could be a little leaner on the pilot, but overall I was happy with it!!
My TC125 was for sure rideable when I dropped the needle 1 position and added oxygenated fuel. But it is a whole different bike using the specs from this thread and now the few minor tweaks I've done. It's so much crisper and snappier from 0 - 1/2 throttle that it makes staying on the pipe way easier. It's actually more accurate to describe it as it never falls off the pipe. As soon as you roll it on it is ripping. There's no waiting to get past the overly rich bottom end.
AJ565
9/6/2020 6:17pm
moore433 wrote:
I have a 2020 ktm150sx that I just got and had my first good ride on today... I had installed the fmf pipe and shorty silencer...
FGR01 wrote:
My TC125 was for sure rideable when I dropped the needle 1 position and added oxygenated fuel. But it is a whole different bike using the...
My TC125 was for sure rideable when I dropped the needle 1 position and added oxygenated fuel. But it is a whole different bike using the specs from this thread and now the few minor tweaks I've done. It's so much crisper and snappier from 0 - 1/2 throttle that it makes staying on the pipe way easier. It's actually more accurate to describe it as it never falls off the pipe. As soon as you roll it on it is ripping. There's no waiting to get past the overly rich bottom end.
A lot of people seem to not like changing factory stuff for some reason other then jets and needles. These bikes have so much more potential in them for about $150 in carb parts, but they’ll throw a $400 carb at it and say what junk the stocker is when it’s not.
exbmxmx
9/9/2020 10:54am
moore433 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
My TC125 was for sure rideable when I dropped the needle 1 position and added oxygenated fuel. But it is a whole different bike using the...
Did your 2021 TC125 come from the factory with a S4 needle jet? The S4 is listed in the manual as being factory installed, so should I believe them or pull it out to check?

"In the past on other bikes I've generally had to go a few sizes bigger on the main when running AvGas" AvGas is non-oxygenated. What fuel did you switch from to require larger jets?

I have a 2021 KTM125 and I'm in the process of installing diggers jetting specs. I plan on running VP T4 fuel, does anyone have a pilot/needle/main recommendation for T4 with 6% oxygen content? We ran the bike on Sunday with stock specs other than I installed the 520 main and by the plug reading, it looked light brown. But we do plan on racing this weekend at a sandy track at sea-level and 90-95F temps.

The Shop

riv187
9/9/2020 1:49pm
moore433 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
exbmxmx wrote:
Did your 2021 TC125 come from the factory with a S4 needle jet? The S4 is listed in the manual as being factory installed, so should...
Did your 2021 TC125 come from the factory with a S4 needle jet? The S4 is listed in the manual as being factory installed, so should I believe them or pull it out to check?

"In the past on other bikes I've generally had to go a few sizes bigger on the main when running AvGas" AvGas is non-oxygenated. What fuel did you switch from to require larger jets?

I have a 2021 KTM125 and I'm in the process of installing diggers jetting specs. I plan on running VP T4 fuel, does anyone have a pilot/needle/main recommendation for T4 with 6% oxygen content? We ran the bike on Sunday with stock specs other than I installed the 520 main and by the plug reading, it looked light brown. But we do plan on racing this weekend at a sandy track at sea-level and 90-95F temps.

I'd love to know what stock jet specs are in the current 125! What slide/ needle jet/jet needle and pilot ? Just to see how close it is to the changes I made on my 2018. I found that color of plug is not the best way to jet....unless you hold it constant at a point for extended time and kill it....then you really need to look down the porcelain for a fire ring near base deep down inside for richness.....old school drag race is a monocle magnify glass or cutting plug up. Mine is a weird yellow color porcelain now when racing...Similar to AJ has shown in past..Most people look at the plug after coming off track and riding back to truck...not accurate. And different fuels and oils change the shades of browns..knowing how it pulls and sounds is best .
exbmxmx
9/9/2020 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 7:47am
Another satisfied customer of diggers jetting specs...cleared up the 1/3 throttle stumble in my 2021 KTM 125.

JD jet block gasket installed
S4 needle jet (factory)
42-74 needle in #2
#5 slide
35 pilot
520 main
1.5 AS
VP T4
32:1 Motul 800
90F @ sea level

Definitely a good starting point from the few street passes I made this afternoon. Hopefully we'll get good results at the track too. Thanks for the help.

FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/9/2020 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2020 9:05pm
exbmxmx wrote:
Another satisfied customer of diggers jetting specs...cleared up the 1/3 throttle stumble in my 2021 KTM 125. JD jet block gasket installed S4 needle jet (factory)...
Another satisfied customer of diggers jetting specs...cleared up the 1/3 throttle stumble in my 2021 KTM 125.

S4 needle jet (factory)
42-74 needle in #2
#5 slide
35 pilot
520 main
1.5 AS
VP T4
90F @ sea level

Definitely a good starting point from the few street passes I made this afternoon. Hopefully we'll get good results at the track too. Thanks for the help.

My 2021 TC125 came stock with an S-7 needle jet. Strange to hear the KTM and Husky are different.

You are now on almost the exact same settings as me except I have the next richer 42-73 needle in. Our temps are similar but you are at lower altitude but I am probably at lower humidity.

I recommend you try the 42-73 needle. I have no experience with VP-T4 but I suspect the needle might be a good match with that oxygen content. I understand the AvGas I am using is not oxygenated but I have a consistent history of it needing bigger jets. What little reading I have done seems to indicate this is due to the specific gravity of the AvGas but I am not fully read up on it. Oh, and I noticed this switching from VP MS-100 which is 3-ish % Oxygen. Needed to go up 1 or 2 on main or the bike revved out too cleanly on top. Felt borderline dangerous.

Here's my plug. This is not after any specific chop test or anything. Just after a day of hard motos.

exbmxmx
9/10/2020 7:25am
exbmxmx wrote:
Another satisfied customer of diggers jetting specs...cleared up the 1/3 throttle stumble in my 2021 KTM 125. JD jet block gasket installed S4 needle jet (factory)...

S4 needle jet (factory)
42-74 needle in #2
#5 slide
35 pilot
520 main
1.5 AS
VP T4
90F @ sea level

FGR01 wrote:
My 2021 TC125 came stock with an S-7 needle jet. Strange to hear the KTM and Husky are different. You are now on almost the exact...
My 2021 TC125 came stock with an S-7 needle jet. Strange to hear the KTM and Husky are different.

You are now on almost the exact same settings as me except I have the next richer 42-73 needle in. Our temps are similar but you are at lower altitude but I am probably at lower humidity.

I recommend you try the 42-73 needle. I have no experience with VP-T4 but I suspect the needle might be a good match with that oxygen content. I understand the AvGas I am using is not oxygenated but I have a consistent history of it needing bigger jets. What little reading I have done seems to indicate this is due to the specific gravity of the AvGas but I am not fully read up on it. Oh, and I noticed this switching from VP MS-100 which is 3-ish % Oxygen. Needed to go up 1 or 2 on main or the bike revved out too cleanly on top. Felt borderline dangerous.

Here's my plug. This is not after any specific chop test or anything. Just after a day of hard motos.

You are correct. AvGas has a specific gravity in the range of 0.68-0.74 and most pump fuels are in the range of 0.72-0.77 along with most racing fuels. So you would need to increase the jetting to make up for the difference in fuel weight given the carb meters fuel based on volume,
I'll certainly order the 42-73 needle as well, especially since the temps will drop soon. And next time I have the carb out of the bike, I'll press out the needle jet to confirm on the S4 size listed in the manual.

I'm curious about the statement digger made about the main jet circuit being maxed out at 510-515 jet range. Hopefully that is not the case, especially since KTM included 520, 540, ,560 jets and they recommend a 560/580 main for sandy track conditions. Maybe KTM doesn't understand the carbs they are installing on their bikes?

I'll report back after a track test this weekend.
AJ565
9/10/2020 9:09am
exbmxmx wrote:
You are correct. AvGas has a specific gravity in the range of 0.68-0.74 and most pump fuels are in the range of 0.72-0.77 along with most...
You are correct. AvGas has a specific gravity in the range of 0.68-0.74 and most pump fuels are in the range of 0.72-0.77 along with most racing fuels. So you would need to increase the jetting to make up for the difference in fuel weight given the carb meters fuel based on volume,
I'll certainly order the 42-73 needle as well, especially since the temps will drop soon. And next time I have the carb out of the bike, I'll press out the needle jet to confirm on the S4 size listed in the manual.

I'm curious about the statement digger made about the main jet circuit being maxed out at 510-515 jet range. Hopefully that is not the case, especially since KTM included 520, 540, ,560 jets and they recommend a 560/580 main for sandy track conditions. Maybe KTM doesn't understand the carbs they are installing on their bikes?

That needle jet doesn't press out, it simply slips out. I was able to change mine on the bike.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
9/10/2020 12:35pm
exbmxmx wrote:
You are correct. AvGas has a specific gravity in the range of 0.68-0.74 and most pump fuels are in the range of 0.72-0.77 along with most...

I've never been a fan of running AV fuel over specific non o2 race fuel. I've always found that the AV fuel burns dirtier than pump or race fuel in a 2t bike, unless using a low flash point 2t oil. Don't get me wrong, it works well enough but, it's dirty.
As far as the TMX-x main circuit goes, I think you'll find that you are all done by 520. Meaning you can remove the main jet and you still won't see an increase in fuel flow. The internal circuit flow is simple maxed out at around what a 520 will flow.
exbmxmx
9/10/2020 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 1:20pm
Thanks FGR, AJ and digger...good info. I learned a little more about jetting.
AJ565
9/10/2020 4:00pm
exbmxmx wrote:
I see you're in Houston, I just moved to The Woodlands last week. I might try and go riding this Sunday if you want to meet up.
exbmxmx
9/10/2020 4:03pm
exbmxmx wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
I see you're in Houston, I just moved to The Woodlands last week. I might try and go riding this Sunday if you want to meet...
I see you're in Houston, I just moved to The Woodlands last week. I might try and go riding this Sunday if you want to meet up.
We'll be at 3-palms Saturday and Sunday for the race. #88 KTM. Swing by and say hello.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/14/2020 1:42pm
exbmxmx wrote:
We'll be at 3-palms Saturday and Sunday for the race. #88 KTM. Swing by and say hello.
Looking for that weekend report . Smile

As for mine, temps were 20-25 degrees cooler this weekend due to the smoke cover from CA blocking out the sun (70-80 degrees) Bike was definitely leaner. Going to try a 540 main and possibly 37.5 pilot if I get similar temps on the next ride. Might even try raising the 42-73 to clip-3, see what that does. Might have to start really considering notching the slide.
moore433
9/14/2020 10:00pm
moore433 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Thanks, I will give your suggestions a try!!!!
I finally got to ride mine hard and from mid rpm up it screams!!! But it could use a little crisping up in the lower rpms.....
exbmxmx
9/15/2020 10:00am
exbmxmx wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Looking for that weekend report . :) As for mine, temps were 20-25 degrees cooler this weekend due to the smoke cover from CA blocking out...
Looking for that weekend report . Smile

As for mine, temps were 20-25 degrees cooler this weekend due to the smoke cover from CA blocking out the sun (70-80 degrees) Bike was definitely leaner. Going to try a 540 main and possibly 37.5 pilot if I get similar temps on the next ride. Might even try raising the 42-73 to clip-3, see what that does. Might have to start really considering notching the slide.
Weekend Track Update:

The bike ran pretty good. Only slight bogging when not in proper gear or if momentum was lost during cornering. Sea level track with temps in the lower 90's but the track is sandy so I'm curious of how it will run on a tacky track without much wheel spin. Bike pulls hard enough that I may try a 50t rear from a 51 to help calm down 2nd gear in the corners. Plug looked good but I did not do a plug pull, just normal track and pit riding. I did just receive the 42-73 needle today that I will try next.

An interesting note, my buddy has the exact same 2021 KTM 125. The only difference is he received the vented side air box cover with his while mine has the solid cover. After having success with the jetting on mine, I gave his a test ride fully expecting to have the 1/3rd throttle bog but his bike ran completely clean regardless of throttle position. His bike is completely stock jetting and he runs pump gas/110 at 50:50 while using Motul 800 at 32:1, while I run straight VP T4 and with the same Motul 800 at 32:1. Would you think the vented air box cover is responsible for the clean jetting? Or do you see jetting differences bike to bike normally? I'm wondering if the jetting was spec'd for the vented side cover?
riv187
9/15/2020 12:49pm
I opened my air box up on 18. If it breathes better,,it's bound to lean the air fuel ratio. As a experiment...take you cover clean off and ride it around the yard and see if how it feels.
AJ565
9/15/2020 6:34pm
riv187 wrote:
I opened my air box up on 18. If it breathes better,,it's bound to lean the air fuel ratio. As a experiment...take you cover clean off...
I opened my air box up on 18. If it breathes better,,it's bound to lean the air fuel ratio. As a experiment...take you cover clean off and ride it around the yard and see if how it feels.
I wonder how much of that is the perceived running better because you’ll hear more engine noise through the carb and in turn ride the bike a little differently.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/15/2020 6:59pm
There are not different stock jetting specs for the vented and solid covers. Matter of fact, on the Husky, the vented cover is actually a 4-stroke only item (for delivery of new bikes). They don't give you one with the 2-strokes. I assume KTM is the same way?
exbmxmx
9/16/2020 9:11am
FGR01 wrote:
There are not different stock jetting specs for the vented and solid covers. Matter of fact, on the Husky, the vented cover is actually a 4-stroke...
There are not different stock jetting specs for the vented and solid covers. Matter of fact, on the Husky, the vented cover is actually a 4-stroke only item (for delivery of new bikes). They don't give you one with the 2-strokes. I assume KTM is the same way?
I have no idea...mine came with the closed air box and my buddies came with the vented but we bought them at different dealerships.
The other issue is we plan to race the limited class (250 limited) and I do not think the vented cover is legal for that class so I do not see any reason to jet for the vented air box if its eventually not going to be raced.
9/16/2020 10:27am
I have sx 250 21 with s4 , 5,5 Slide , Yamaha 284-14116-H4-00 3 clip, 560 main, 35 pilot but the bike is still lean? The weather is 14 degree celcius
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/16/2020 12:18pm
MadsDausel wrote:
I have sx 250 21 with s4 , 5,5 Slide , Yamaha 284-14116-H4-00 3 clip, 560 main, 35 pilot but the bike is still lean? The...
I have sx 250 21 with s4 , 5,5 Slide , Yamaha 284-14116-H4-00 3 clip, 560 main, 35 pilot but the bike is still lean? The weather is 14 degree celcius
What fuel, oil, and ratio are you using?

That Yamaha part # is the 6BFY42-74 needle.

Digger has said earlier that with the S4 and this series of needle the Main circuit maxes out around 510-515 which would explain why going to a much larger main had no improvement for you.

Need Digger and AJ to chime in but I suspect you'll be needing the S7 and/or a much richer needle and maybe notching the slide.
AJ565
9/16/2020 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2020 12:26pm
MadsDausel wrote:
I have sx 250 21 with s4 , 5,5 Slide , Yamaha 284-14116-H4-00 3 clip, 560 main, 35 pilot but the bike is still lean? The...
Where is it lean at? Off idle? Mid? Top end?

What fuel are you running and what is it mixed at?
9/16/2020 12:35pm
AJ565 wrote:
Where is it lean at? Off idle? Mid? Top end?

What fuel are you running and what is it mixed at?
Full throttle and White sparkplug... pumpgas and 3% Oil ratio
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/16/2020 12:52pm
3% Oil is 33:1 for us Americans...Smile
AJ565
9/16/2020 2:01pm
That sounds like the problem is the oil mix. I have that jetting spec. for 55:1- 60:1. Adding more oil leans out the fuel, try 55:1 and see how it runs.
squishan
9/29/2020 8:35pm
How are you adjusting the base settings (as of 7-28-2020) for the 250 sx as temps are cooling? Digger mentioned that "..that main jet circuit is maxed out right about in that area, 510-515 range." Would it make sense to move the clip to the 3rd position and go to 30 PJ while keeping the rest the same when temps hover between 65-80 at 450 ft above sea level?
AJ565
10/1/2020 6:27am
squishan wrote:
How are you adjusting the base settings (as of 7-28-2020) for the 250 sx as temps are cooling? Digger mentioned that "..that main jet circuit is...
How are you adjusting the base settings (as of 7-28-2020) for the 250 sx as temps are cooling? Digger mentioned that "..that main jet circuit is maxed out right about in that area, 510-515 range." Would it make sense to move the clip to the 3rd position and go to 30 PJ while keeping the rest the same when temps hover between 65-80 at 450 ft above sea level?
I've been moving the clip one position when the temp supports it and when it gets cool enough I go up one size on the pilot to a 35. Right not with it being in the 60's in the morning and 80's in the afternoon I haven't messed with anything other then the air screw.
mxstate
10/1/2020 6:40am
squishan wrote:
How are you adjusting the base settings (as of 7-28-2020) for the 250 sx as temps are cooling? Digger mentioned that "..that main jet circuit is...
AJ565 wrote:
I've been moving the clip one position when the temp supports it and when it gets cool enough I go up one size on the pilot...
I've been moving the clip one position when the temp supports it and when it gets cool enough I go up one size on the pilot to a 35. Right not with it being in the 60's in the morning and 80's in the afternoon I haven't messed with anything other then the air screw.
Central FL temps and altitude not far from TX conditions
On my TC , I run 50:1 and it was feeling a bit lean down low and at startup
Bumped the PJ to 35 and it took care of it.

Needle clip is at 2.5 Position (using a JD washer/spacer ring) and I might move to #3 as it's finally cooling down here (at least early in the am, afternoons still in the 80F )
I like my jetting on the richer side to tame the beast...

Beside the PJ, i just tweaked a few times the A/S to fine tune for temp/humidity changes
But this is really being picky - the key was 5.5 slide /Yamaha needle changes

Post a reply to: 125/150/250/300 KTM/HUS/GG jetting thread

The Latest