125/150/250/300 KTM/HUS/GG jetting thread

2SmokeCJ
7/12/2022 11:30am
2SmokeCJ wrote:
Hey AJ or anyone else who knows. Will the 125 jetting on the first page work on my 22’ TC 125 with a full fmf kit?
FGR01 wrote:
I'll try to summarize the 28 pages in a manner that should help with your 22-TC125. Answer is yes, the jetting is a very good starting...
I'll try to summarize the 28 pages in a manner that should help with your 22-TC125.

Answer is yes, the jetting is a very good starting point for your bike. I have a 2021-TC125 and am running a close variation of page 1 (my exact specs on later posts throughout)

"Do I really need to buy the slide, etc ?" - YES, you need all the parts to do it right. The slide is the most important part. You are wasting your time dancing around the real issue if you try to shortcut without the slide.

Also, there is a known prob with the 2022 model 125/150. Some bikes just don't seem to jet correctly. Some users on here have tried swapping to known good carbs which seems to fix the prob. So, there is a hypothesis that there is something inherently wrong with some 2022 stock Mikuni carbs that will not allow them to run correctly no matter what jetting.

FMF system - yes, no problem. I am running full-FMF on my bike. I have also used stock, and Bill's. There is very little jetting difference between any of them. It's really just small fine tuning which you'll be doing anyway based on what fuel, oil, and ratio you use and environmental conditions.
Thanks for the reply man, it helped a lot.
dwight955
7/23/2022 9:38am
I have two questions about these jetting specs. I have a 2022 MC125 that did seem to run rich. I got all the parts listed on page 1 of this thread, installed a new jet block gasket checked float level, seemed in spec, put Al new jets and parts on, started bike up and had a big bog between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle. I couldn't smooth it out with needle clip position, so I put stock jetting back. Bike runs rich as before but bog is gone. Then I heard of these KTM 125/150 engines maybe having sticking powevalves could this cause bog? Also does the white pigtail map adjustment effect the jetting. Sorry about this being so long, I did not intend to write a document. Just trying to be accurate.
Thank you.
AJ565
7/23/2022 1:54pm
dwight955 wrote:
I have two questions about these jetting specs. I have a 2022 MC125 that did seem to run rich. I got all the parts listed on...
I have two questions about these jetting specs. I have a 2022 MC125 that did seem to run rich. I got all the parts listed on page 1 of this thread, installed a new jet block gasket checked float level, seemed in spec, put Al new jets and parts on, started bike up and had a big bog between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle. I couldn't smooth it out with needle clip position, so I put stock jetting back. Bike runs rich as before but bog is gone. Then I heard of these KTM 125/150 engines maybe having sticking powevalves could this cause bog? Also does the white pigtail map adjustment effect the jetting. Sorry about this being so long, I did not intend to write a document. Just trying to be accurate.
Thank you.
This is a known problem with the ‘22’s. Go back a couple pages and it doesn’t matter the jetting or carb people are having problems.
jcp411
7/23/2022 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2022 3:58pm
dwight955 wrote:
I have two questions about these jetting specs. I have a 2022 MC125 that did seem to run rich. I got all the parts listed on...
Thank you.
Put a Keihin 38 pkw on it and all will be good! I have a 22 ktm 125 did all the mikuni changes slide too. Still had a bog. Bought a keihin and the bike runs great. I think there’s something wrong with the air screw on the mikuni cause no matter how much i turned it made no difference. Bad casting who knows but i wasted way to much time messing with it.

The Shop

8/22/2022 7:02pm
2019 TC250
Running the jetting specs on page 1, with the exception of 60:1, 1.5 gallons 93 pump with 0.5 gallons of VPR and Motorex cross power 2T oil
Bike has been running awesome, until yesterday….
About 800 ft elevation, central IL
Bike has a ProCircuit pipe, ProCircuit 304 silencer, VForce V4 reeds, vented airbox cover
Just did a top end at 58 hours, ran a few local races & practices, then a regional, then our motos at the ranch, the bike has not been babied, we are at 73 hours and ran into a overheating issue yesterday, pulled the top end and found signs of detonation on the head. Big score on the exhaust side of the piston next as shown.

Question is, are we jetted too lean or is it the mix 55:1 vs 60:1 an issue (I would think 55:1 would be more prone to detonation from a lean condition)

FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/23/2022 11:28am
2019 TC250 Running the jetting specs on page 1, with the exception of 60:1, 1.5 gallons 93 pump with 0.5 gallons of VPR and Motorex cross...
2019 TC250
Running the jetting specs on page 1, with the exception of 60:1, 1.5 gallons 93 pump with 0.5 gallons of VPR and Motorex cross power 2T oil
Bike has been running awesome, until yesterday….
About 800 ft elevation, central IL
Bike has a ProCircuit pipe, ProCircuit 304 silencer, VForce V4 reeds, vented airbox cover
Just did a top end at 58 hours, ran a few local races & practices, then a regional, then our motos at the ranch, the bike has not been babied, we are at 73 hours and ran into a overheating issue yesterday, pulled the top end and found signs of detonation on the head. Big score on the exhaust side of the piston next as shown.

Question is, are we jetted too lean or is it the mix 55:1 vs 60:1 an issue (I would think 55:1 would be more prone to detonation from a lean condition)

yeah the difference between 55:1 and 60:1 is negligible.

My first thought is you developed an air leak. Jetting doesn't change itself and suddenly "go bad" and unless environmental conditions had a drastic change that would explain it, it's likely an air leak. Being summer time, if anything the bike should be getting richer from the weather, not leaner.

The carbon pattern makes me think you developed this lean condition (likely air leak) rather recently and suddenly. It looks like there's the original carbon with some piston washing around the edges, like you'd want to see.. and then the clean edges started also getting carboned recently from the newfound heat.

Another thought... that wrist pin got really hot. I'd either swap pistons and pins more often and/or drill some oiling holes in the pin bores in the piston.
8/23/2022 11:59am
Thanks for the input FGR, one of the things we did right before Loretta’s was added the vented air box lid and the VForce reeds. I’m thinking of going back to the stock reed block just in case we are pulling excess air in there and non vented cover, especially as we get closer to cooler months and denser air.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/23/2022 2:13pm
Thanks for the input FGR, one of the things we did right before Loretta’s was added the vented air box lid and the VForce reeds. I’m...
Thanks for the input FGR, one of the things we did right before Loretta’s was added the vented air box lid and the VForce reeds. I’m thinking of going back to the stock reed block just in case we are pulling excess air in there and non vented cover, especially as we get closer to cooler months and denser air.
Yeah, you might be on to something with those 2 changes. Also, in the process of putting on a new reed block you might have not gotten it sealed up well. I've had some issues with some V-Force in the past. Make sure you've got the right gaskets in the right places and then put a thin coat of Moto-Seal or some other highly gas resistant sealant on the gaskets. Let it tack up a little before reassembly.
AJ565
8/23/2022 7:27pm
I’d say that vented cover was the cause. I have a rad valve in my bike and it didn’t change the jetting at all and I have around 30 hours on that. I’ve never tested this jetting with a vented cover since my 2018 didn’t come with one.
JB722
8/24/2022 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2022 6:30pm
Hey guys, I guess I’ll post here also. I picked up a 19 125sx that had been sitting for a few years. Found the jet block gasket was trashed and replaced it. Bike still ran like trash. Ordered the went down on the pilot, that helped. Installed the 42-74 needle and that almost 90 % cleaned up the mid range. This past weekend I installed the 5.0 slide and went up to a 490 mj but left the s7 needle. The bike ran absolutely perfect until it didn’t. I lost the bottom rod bearing at the end of a 30 min moto.
Mods: gizmo mods reed block
Fmf shorty that came with the bike
PJ: 32.5
Needle 42-74 pos 2
Needle jet: s7
Slide 5.0
Mj: 490
Amsoil dominator 32:1 Sunoco leaded 110/rec90 50/50
The track I was at is fast, and deep sugar sand. I’m at sea level in Florida temp was about 95*. I run B class towards the front in harescrambles, local moto, and the bike was wfo most of the time. I’m trying to avoid this again lol. Do I go straight to a 540mj and go from there? The bike never once hinted it was lean, and pulled clean from bottom to the top with zero bog. I prefer to stay with 32:1. The piston and rings looked great to be honest, rings were free as can be. Bike will be back together by the weekend, as I got the crank back today. Just looking for opinions so this doesn’t happen again lol.
AJ565
8/24/2022 6:35pm
It probably wasn’t a lean lock or the I’d expect the piston to show signs too. Since it’s been sitting a long time there’s a chance it could have had some pitting on the bearings from flash rust since it’s humid there. Maybe it sucked a little sand. You never know what could have been in the bottom end just floating around.

That said, a few pages back there is some other 125 jetting that others have had luck with. You can put a 540 main jet in, but as digger has pointed out before that the carb isn’t capable of flowing that so it doesn’t matter if it’s in there or not that small bore is only able to pull so much fuel. One of these days I’ll go back and find it and update the first page.
JB722
8/24/2022 7:51pm
Right on. Thanks AJ. I expected the plug to be ghost white but it’s not bad at all. I was in a rush splitting the case and didn’t really look at much. Getting a better look at the piston now that I’ve got it back with the new rod on the crank it’s got some definite signs on intake and exhaust side of lack of lubrication but I’ve seen worse. I was told this bike had a new top end at 30 hours. I’ve put 8 on it and pulled 50 hour pistons out of my wife’s 150 that look 10x’s better. The previous owner also used one time use filters that are junk. The same filters I’ve had previous experience with not enough oil on them and sucking dirt. Nevertheless here I am lol. Actual crank side bearings feel great. Wrist pin and bearing are showing signs of lean/not enough oil also and the guy that did my crank today agreed.

FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/24/2022 8:26pm
JB722 wrote:
Hey guys, I guess I’ll post here also. I picked up a 19 125sx that had been sitting for a few years. Found the jet block...
Hey guys, I guess I’ll post here also. I picked up a 19 125sx that had been sitting for a few years. Found the jet block gasket was trashed and replaced it. Bike still ran like trash. Ordered the went down on the pilot, that helped. Installed the 42-74 needle and that almost 90 % cleaned up the mid range. This past weekend I installed the 5.0 slide and went up to a 490 mj but left the s7 needle. The bike ran absolutely perfect until it didn’t. I lost the bottom rod bearing at the end of a 30 min moto.
Needle 42-74 pos 2
Slide 5.0
The track I was at is fast, and deep sugar sand. I’m at sea level in Florida temp was about 95*. I run B class towards the front in harescrambles, local moto, and the bike was wfo most of the time. I’m trying to avoid this again lol. Do I go straight to a 540mj and go from there? The bike never once hinted it was lean, and pulled clean from bottom to the top with zero bog. I prefer to stay with 32:1. The piston and rings looked great to be honest, rings were free as can be. Bike will be back together by the weekend, as I got the crank back today. Just looking for opinions so this doesn’t happen again lol.
All that AJ said... plus, did you cut the extra notch on the front side of the slide? If not, you should be on a 35 or 37.5 pilot. 32.5 with no notch is going to be pretty lean at sea level. That is what I was running last weekend at 4500ft with 90% humidity !

You definitely will want to be in the 510-540 range on the main going WFO in sand at sea level. As AJ said, Digger will tell you that after 510 or so going bigger doesn't much help since the needle-jet or carb orifice itself becomes the limiting factor. But I will tell you I can definitely feel a difference from 510-520, 520-540.. and even a little bit 540-560.

Don't be afraid to try going a little richer on the needle also. Basically experiment so you know what's what. When the temps or elevation drop, I will run a 43-74 on (2) or even the 42-74 on (3).

The thing is all these settings are with an S4 which is slightly leaner than the S7. Combining these pilot or main suggestions with the S7 might make it too rich.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/25/2022 12:30am
JB722 wrote:
Hey guys, I guess I’ll post here also. I picked up a 19 125sx that had been sitting for a few years. Found the jet block...
Needle 42-74 pos 2
Slide 5.0
This is a known problem, rod seizure on the big end , On those bikes. I know of at least 4 bikes that have all done the same thing as yours. One of them has had it happen twice this year.
I do not thinks it’s a jetting related issue. I think it’s simply a manufacturing issue. They are all still using oem cranks. One of the 125’s is using a Keihin setup and the others are still on the setup Mikunis , similar to yours.
JB722
8/25/2022 5:39am
Thank you guys. The 32.5 I had in there with just the needle before the slide because that’s what it took to pull clean off the bottom. When I changed the slide it never felt or sounded lean and never bogged so I left it. I’ll swap to a 35 and maybe try clip 3 on the needle also just to see where it’s at on heat cycles on the stand. I had gotten confused on the needle jets when I was looking and mistaked the 125 for already having the s4 when I was looking at the 150 jet table so I never ordered it. I will order one as well as a few other needles to play with also. I’ll definitely start with atleast a 520 main and maybe go from there. I’ve always favored being on the rich side of jetting, and once I’m
Done with heat cycles I’ll be doing plug chops this time. Do you guys think it’s necessary to bump to 40:1?

I’m aware of the big end bearing issue on the newer ktm’s. The guy that does my cranks also does them for a local shop that does a lot of mod bikes aswell. They noticed the 22+ had a metallurgy problem with the rods as both were getting trashed. They would install a pro-x before ktm knew they had a rod problem and the bike would be fine afterwards. Another local guy was having issues with other brands doing the same, he kept losing the big end bearing with motorex at 32:1. This guy is an ex factory Honda mech for the amatuer team. He had switched to a castor based oil and never had a problem since. Don’t know if any of it has any resonance or if it was all just a coincidence as it ranged from an 85 to a few 125’s also in about a 10 hour span.

Again, thank you guys for the response and help.
JB722
8/28/2022 2:46pm
I went up to a 35 pilot, and 540 main. Bike pulled great still, honestly it seems it still wants more fuel up top. Zero bog or hiccups, just a nice clean pull. My buddy hopped on it and had a smile the whole time. I did get a plug chop on it. We will see how it does in the woods next weekend. Thank you guys for the suggestions and help.
8/31/2022 9:59am
This thread has so much info!!! I have two '22 MC125's bone stock. I raced one of them this weekend at the Washougal 125 Dream race and realized just how shitty these things run when trying to race against fast Mo Fo's . My kids normally race them and this has been my first ride/race on one of them. I feel bad I didn't deal with this sooner. I tried just messing with the PV adjustment screw at the race and that only made things worse. I am searching for the slides and can't seem to find the 5.5. JD looks to be out of everything I need. Can one of you guys point me in the direction to order all the parts/jets/needles I need? Thank you in advance and I will post my results of the change as soon as I do it. I just bailed on doing Top Gun this year because the bikes are running so bad oh and Top Gun is an absolute RIP OFF of an event as well LOL
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/31/2022 1:16pm
This thread has so much info!!! I have two '22 MC125's bone stock. I raced one of them this weekend at the Washougal 125 Dream race...
This thread has so much info!!! I have two '22 MC125's bone stock. I raced one of them this weekend at the Washougal 125 Dream race and realized just how shitty these things run when trying to race against fast Mo Fo's . My kids normally race them and this has been my first ride/race on one of them. I feel bad I didn't deal with this sooner. I tried just messing with the PV adjustment screw at the race and that only made things worse. I am searching for the slides and can't seem to find the 5.5. JD looks to be out of everything I need. Can one of you guys point me in the direction to order all the parts/jets/needles I need? Thank you in advance and I will post my results of the change as soon as I do it. I just bailed on doing Top Gun this year because the bikes are running so bad oh and Top Gun is an absolute RIP OFF of an event as well LOL
Pat,

For the 125, Slide #5 is what you want. They do go out of stock at JD Jetting but come back in stock regularly.

Slide 5 https://jdjetting.com/product/jdmk02-mikuni-tmx-ktm-husq-carburetor-sli…
Jet Block gasket https://jdjetting.com/product/jdmk05-mikuni-tmx-jet-block-kit/
S4 Needle Jet KTM PN 55431021400
YZ125 6BFY 42-74 needle Yamaha PN 284-14116-H4-00

Mans & pilots, buy OEM Yamaha or KTM, whichever is cheaper.
8/31/2022 4:25pm
This thread has so much info!!! I have two '22 MC125's bone stock. I raced one of them this weekend at the Washougal 125 Dream race...
FGR01 wrote:
Pat, For the 125, Slide #5 is what you want. They do go out of stock at JD Jetting but come back in stock regularly. Slide...
Pat,

For the 125, Slide #5 is what you want. They do go out of stock at JD Jetting but come back in stock regularly.

Slide 5 https://jdjetting.com/product/jdmk02-mikuni-tmx-ktm-husq-carburetor-sli…

Thank you!!
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/31/2022 6:55pm
FGR01 wrote:
Pat, For the 125, Slide #5 is what you want. They do go out of stock at JD Jetting but come back in stock regularly. Slide...
Pat,

Thank you!!
What fuel, oil, and ratio will you be running?
9/6/2022 12:10pm
FGR01 wrote:
Pat,

I got the Sliders, jet block gasket kit and the needle and seat you recommended. What main and pilots should I play with? We are at 4,000ft in Bend but regularly race Washougal and the next race is at OMC in Boise Idaho.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/6/2022 12:12pm
FGR01 wrote:
Pat,

I got the Sliders, jet block gasket kit and the needle and seat you recommended. What main and pilots should I play with? We are at...
I got the Sliders, jet block gasket kit and the needle and seat you recommended. What main and pilots should I play with? We are at 4,000ft in Bend but regularly race Washougal and the next race is at OMC in Boise Idaho.
What fuel, oil, and ratio will you be using?
9/6/2022 1:16pm
FGR01 wrote:
Pat,

I got the Sliders, jet block gasket kit and the needle and seat you recommended. What main and pilots should I play with? We are at...
FGR01 wrote:
I have been running VP 110 leaded from the pump with Maxima Super M at 32:1. I was running the richer mixture because I was afraid of all the crank failures I've been reading about. I have the jetting bone stock on both bikes. I also sometimes run 92 ethanol free fuel.
AJ565
9/6/2022 7:59pm
I have been running VP 110 leaded from the pump with Maxima Super M at 32:1. I was running the richer mixture because I was afraid...
I have been running VP 110 leaded from the pump with Maxima Super M at 32:1. I was running the richer mixture because I was afraid of all the crank failures I've been reading about. I have the jetting bone stock on both bikes. I also sometimes run 92 ethanol free fuel.
Well, technically you have it backwards. More oil means less fuel so it would actually be leaner.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/6/2022 9:12pm
FGR01 wrote:
I have been running VP 110 leaded from the pump with Maxima Super M at 32:1. I was running the richer mixture because I was afraid...
Start with a 35 pilot and 500 main and go from there. You may need to drop to a 32.5 pilot at the higher elevations depending on temp and humidity. You also may need to drop to a 490 main at the higher elevations. I suspect the VP110 will also be a cooler burning fuel and make the bike feel richer than the 92.

I always like to experiment so I know what is what. If the 500 main feels good. go to a 510.. and then a 520.. keep going richer until you find the point of too much.. then back it off to the sweet spot. Same for the needle clip. Clip-2 might be good at the higher tracks but clip-3 might be better at Washougal. Only one way to really know.

I routinely run 37.5 pilot, clip-3 and big mains like 540-560 when the temps drop, but I am running AvGas which leans everything out.

Oh, I don't know if extra oil will help the 2022 crank probs. but 40:1 is plenty with Super-M under normal circumstances, at least me flogging my 2021 tells me so.. lol
9/7/2022 10:44am
FGR01 wrote:
Start with a 35 pilot and 500 main and go from there. You may need to drop to a 32.5 pilot at the higher elevations depending...
Start with a 35 pilot and 500 main and go from there. You may need to drop to a 32.5 pilot at the higher elevations depending on temp and humidity. You also may need to drop to a 490 main at the higher elevations. I suspect the VP110 will also be a cooler burning fuel and make the bike feel richer than the 92.

I always like to experiment so I know what is what. If the 500 main feels good. go to a 510.. and then a 520.. keep going richer until you find the point of too much.. then back it off to the sweet spot. Same for the needle clip. Clip-2 might be good at the higher tracks but clip-3 might be better at Washougal. Only one way to really know.

I routinely run 37.5 pilot, clip-3 and big mains like 540-560 when the temps drop, but I am running AvGas which leans everything out.

Oh, I don't know if extra oil will help the 2022 crank probs. but 40:1 is plenty with Super-M under normal circumstances, at least me flogging my 2021 tells me so.. lol
Thanks again for all your help. JD just got more slides in. I have those and the gasket kit on order and already received the needle and needle jet you recommended. I am stoked to see how they run. I'll give an update as soon as I get all the parts and install.
Tuplavee
9/7/2022 11:56am
Its getting colder, any recommendations for 35-40F at sea level for 250, 5.5slide?

I actually did notice some ongoing plating wear in my 5.5 slide so for next seasong im going to either file/machine my original or get an 5.0 as anything bigger is hard to get in here...
AJ565
9/7/2022 6:44pm
Tuplavee wrote:
Its getting colder, any recommendations for 35-40F at sea level for 250, 5.5slide? I actually did notice some ongoing plating wear in my 5.5 slide so...
Its getting colder, any recommendations for 35-40F at sea level for 250, 5.5slide?

I actually did notice some ongoing plating wear in my 5.5 slide so for next seasong im going to either file/machine my original or get an 5.0 as anything bigger is hard to get in here...
I had to go up 1 size pilot and move the clip down one position when the temp got that cold. This is with the 5.75 slide settings from the first page.
RK Tek
9/8/2022 1:57pm
Any high revving engine will require MORE oil if one expects to have any sort of crank life.. Depriving your engine (bearings) of oil, only invites early bearing failure. (like you guys have been experiencing)

Engines running upwards of 11K RPM should be running 20-30:1 oil ratio (20 is better than 30 ALWAYS--> zero downside) and you need to run an oil that offers good protection at these higher RPM. This is critical!!

If you are searching for more power , cooler running engines, and longer bearing and piston life.... OIL will get you there.. Less oil= LESS life and less power.. and vice versa.

As you lower RPM (usually increase bore and stroke engines) you can lower the oil ratio (if you want) .I would never suggest EVER running less than 50:1 in ANY engine..

The idea that more oil , significantly, effects jetting is simply not accurate.. Switching from 50:1 to 32:1, for example, will not have any significant (read need to adjust jets) effect on jetting calibration.. I know.. Blasphemy... right?? but, true none the less..
9/26/2022 9:23am
Hello, I'm from France
currently I ride on a 125 TC 2017 with original settings
Main jet 480
Jet slows down 45
needles 43-74
s1
bushel 4.0

I only ride on ground temperature 5 degrees to 15 degrees at 100m elevation and the bike gouges at low speeds when the grip is fully open.

Do you have any recommended settings?

Post a reply to: 125/150/250/300 KTM/HUS/GG jetting thread

The Latest