KTM Clutch Issues

rob27ma
Ok, I have a 2014 KTM 350 with 80hrs on it and over this past weekend during a ride I started to lose pull in my clutch lever about an hour into the ride. The lever felt like I could pull it half way to the bar before it would engage at all. I continued to ride, but rode without using the clutch and the lever seemed to come back.

After the ride I bled the hydraulic clutch(hopefully correctly) and changed the oil. I took the bike for a ride today, the clutch pull feels normal, but when I try to accelerate hard the clutch seems to be slipping. I could ride at lower RPM's fine, and even higher RPM's if I slowly worked it to them, but if I went into a corner and grabbed a handful of throttle I would feel the clutch slipping again. Also, when the bike is cool it was worse. Once I ran it for a few minutes it felt slightly better.

So, my question is, does this seem to be due to the plates needing to be replaced, or could it have anything to do with the hydraulic clutch lever, master cylinder, etc... This is my first KTM, and first time I've ever had an issue with the clutch, but since I originally seemed to have an issue in the hydraulic clutch and just bled it, I'm not sure if there could be any issues here keeping it from fulling disengaging at the lever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/19/2017 9:26pm
Unfortunately I don't have a complete fix for you... But being you have 80 hours, I'd replace the fibers, if that doesn't fix it, I'd do a rebuild of the clutch slave, the part mounted on the engine.

I recently had the o-ring on the slave Piston just fall apart after about 100 hours. This caused the lever to become soft and pull about half way before it had any pressure.

I'm on a 2016 250f.
ktm-5
7/19/2017 10:42pm
80 hrs on the clutch? Yes it's time for a new clutch. It seems the 4 strokes eat up clutchs faster than 2 strokes, we are on a 250sxf and replaced our clutch at around 60 hrs and it was definitely worn. Also your clutch springs may be shot also, I try to replace the springs at about 30hrs. If that don't fix it (which I think it will) then I'd look into the clutch slave like carlinojoe said
rob27ma
7/20/2017 5:22am
Unfortunately I don't have a complete fix for you... But being you have 80 hours, I'd replace the fibers, if that doesn't fix it, I'd do...
Unfortunately I don't have a complete fix for you... But being you have 80 hours, I'd replace the fibers, if that doesn't fix it, I'd do a rebuild of the clutch slave, the part mounted on the engine.

I recently had the o-ring on the slave Piston just fall apart after about 100 hours. This caused the lever to become soft and pull about half way before it had any pressure.

I'm on a 2016 250f.
My lever was doing the exact same thing. After bleeding it and riding the bike this issue hasn't returned, but I wonder if this could be caused by bad plates as well? I just ordered up new fibers and steels so I'm hoping this will do the trick.

What did you have to replace on the slave cylinder? Did you do a full rebuild?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/20/2017 7:28am
When you remove the slave from the engine, it's a seeled unit. This part will get messy, you remove the soft rubber cover and if you slowly pump the lever it will push the lever it will pump out the Piston.

There's a little spring in there also. Then replace that oring(#85)and put her all back together. It's pretty simple. You can help the bleeding process by filling the slave before you put the cable back on.

Post a reply to: KTM Clutch Issues

The Latest