gharmon
Any motodads want to help me out, it would be much appreciated.

First off my grandson has been riding a 2008 kx 65 and liked the bike fine. The suspension is a little soft for him but I decided to get him another newer bike. Since he has a ktm 85 (2017) waiting in the wings. I figured I would get him another ktm. After his first practice on the ktm 65 he said it felt great except it was slow. He finished racing that night and I assumed everything was fine. That it just had a different power curve he was not aware of.

Yesterday we went to a regular practice day and he again said it was slow and wanted to know when his kx 65 would be up and running again (doing a top and bottom end on the bike). I was puzzled so I rode the thing and he is right. While it definitely has more low end grunt that's all that is there. Once it winds out and you are ready for it to "get-on-the-pipe" it just stays flat. There is no proverbial "hit" The kx is slow then hits really hard and fast. I thought well maybe that's just the smoother transition. So I had some others ride the bike and they are like no, it's dead up top.

I am not familiar with the ktm 65 but I do believe they have a power valve correct? If so, is this an issue that maybe the power valve is not opening up or any other ideas? I know it is not a slipping clutch as the bike just is flat as can be up top (no fast revving and bike remains same pace). Are the ktm 65's just dead on top? It's our first and I have not ridden any one else's to know if there is a difference? Any ideas? I want him to like the bike. He rides it well for a "slow" bike. Plus I spent a lot of money on this and I will not be getting a refund..

Thanks,

Gerald
|
RCF
4/14/2019 2:54pm
Go over 2 ktmtalk those power valves are notorious for failing should be lots of info on there about them

Post a reply to: KTM 65

The Latest