KTM 250 SX Frame Issue

Edited Date/Time 12/9/2020 5:05pm
Detailing the bike and noticed three small cracks infront of the rad mounting tab on the frame. 51.5 hrs on the bike.

I had looked to see if the tabs and hardwhere was damaged and it appears that they are not. Everything seems true and not pushed in.

My thoughts is at some point must have had a side impact and with the Bullet Proof guards drove the energy into the frame, which caused it to flex, and the powercoat cracked. I think it would be a cause for concern if it started from a weld. To me if a hit would have cracked a frame in that spot the hardware and tabs would have been broken or damaged.

I have been told that the powdercoat tends to crack in spots.

Anyone see something similar. Thoughts.

|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/6/2020 8:40pm
That looks more like power coat cracking.

If you are worried, you can use paint remover and see how deep it goes?
Pirate421
12/8/2020 7:35pm
Any update? Did you try to remove some of the paint to see what was behind it?
12/9/2020 6:57am
It looks like broken powdercoat. A steel frame wil not crack like this. The powdercoat wil due to stress.
12/9/2020 5:05pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Any update? Did you try to remove some of the paint to see what was behind it?
I didn't strip the paint. I took my Bullet Proof Guard off and it was straight. The rad tabs on the frame were not bent, nor was the hardware. In chalking it up to just the powdercoat.

The frame tabs and hardwear would break or bend before it would put a crack in the frame is the consensus. I ended up emailing BPD and they were extremely helpful.

Post a reply to: KTM 250 SX Frame Issue

The Latest