KTM 2020.5 450sx-f sudden vibration in handle bars/footpegs with subtle motor knocking?

I was riding at a sand track and all of sudden when I was coming out of a corner, I suddenly felt a significant increase in vibration in my hands and feet, so I pulled off immediately as this was concerning. I didn't notice any loss in power. Back at the truck, a buddy of mine listened to the motor. His thoughts were, possibly a bearing has gone out in the oil pump? It is hard to tell for certain if there is a change to the sound of the motor at an idle, but maybe there is some "knocking" noise? I was told certain years (not sure which years) there has been issues with a specific "plastic" internal part that goes out and needs to be replaced. My bike has 44 hours on it. And I am very diligent on keeping the air filter clean, along with changing the oil every 5-7 hours.

Any help, guidance, and or advice would be much appreciated.
|
Wiscomx
2/6/2022 2:02pm
I would check for loose fasteners 1st, if oil, coolant look good possibly something loosened up
Yeti831
2/6/2022 3:11pm
Imo, tear it down far enough like you’re going to pull the motor without actually pulling the motor, reassemble everything to torque spec. Including axles and pivot.

If it continues after, you know it’s internal.
Rider 5280
2/6/2022 5:41pm
Keep us posted - very interested to know what the core issue is.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
2/6/2022 5:51pm
I’d doubt it’s Anything chassis related. High frequency vibration screams something in the motor to me

The Shop

PNWMXer
2/6/2022 6:42pm
The plastic part you’re referring to is the oil pump gear. I think (!) they’re 250/350 only, but hopefully someone will come along and correct me if that’s wrong.

2/6/2022 6:47pm
soggy wrote:
I’d doubt it’s Anything chassis related. High frequency vibration screams something in the motor to me
I agree. there's probably friction happening somewhere. Thanks everyone for all the input. I will contact my motor mechanic tomorrow. And i will let you all know what the end result was.
2/6/2022 6:50pm
PNWMXer wrote:
The plastic part you’re referring to is the oil pump gear. I think (!) they’re 250/350 only, but hopefully someone will come along and correct me...
The plastic part you’re referring to is the oil pump gear. I think (!) they’re 250/350 only, but hopefully someone will come along and correct me if that’s wrong.

I am not able to find that part on rocky mountains OEM page.
motoxrocks
2/7/2022 5:24am
I was riding at a sand track and all of sudden when I was coming out of a corner, I suddenly felt a significant increase in...
I was riding at a sand track and all of sudden when I was coming out of a corner, I suddenly felt a significant increase in vibration in my hands and feet, so I pulled off immediately as this was concerning. I didn't notice any loss in power. Back at the truck, a buddy of mine listened to the motor. His thoughts were, possibly a bearing has gone out in the oil pump? It is hard to tell for certain if there is a change to the sound of the motor at an idle, but maybe there is some "knocking" noise? I was told certain years (not sure which years) there has been issues with a specific "plastic" internal part that goes out and needs to be replaced. My bike has 44 hours on it. And I am very diligent on keeping the air filter clean, along with changing the oil every 5-7 hours.

Any help, guidance, and or advice would be much appreciated.
Drop the oil and check the screens, magnetic drain plug and cut the paper filter open.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
2/7/2022 5:50am
Pull the valve cover and make sure you didn't smoke the cam. That is the first place that goes if there is an oil problem. There are roller bearings up there too. It is possible one of those grenaded.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
2/7/2022 12:47pm
wrc777 wrote:
Pull the valve cover and make sure you didn't smoke the cam. That is the first place that goes if there is an oil problem. There...
Pull the valve cover and make sure you didn't smoke the cam. That is the first place that goes if there is an oil problem. There are roller bearings up there too. It is possible one of those grenaded.
Definitely a possibility. To me the knocking makes me think connecting Rod bushing or crank bearings but hopefully that’s not the case or ktm will warranty.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
2/7/2022 12:49pm
The Cam chain tensioner is also a week point on this motor.
Moto520
2/7/2022 1:04pm
Pull the clutch cover off and see if anything looks off
willbilly
2/7/2022 7:19pm
The oil pump idler gear was superseded in 20 with the new gear. +1 to Paw Paw’s advice. My 18 motor mounts loosened and the bike vibrated like crazy.
2/7/2022 8:18pm
Wow, I had no idea there was 18 motor mounts on my bike. Once I get the bike washed this week and do all these preliminary things, I will post on here what I found or didn't find. I am really hoping it is just the motor mounts coming loose. Thanks again for everyones input. I need to utilize vitalmx more often.

Post a reply to: KTM 2020.5 450sx-f sudden vibration in handle bars/footpegs with subtle motor knocking?

The Latest