Jetting help for 2007 KX250

kb228
7/5/2020 4:28pm
Did you try running 32:1?
7/5/2020 5:55pm
How big of a difference is there between 40:1 and 32:1? That's only 8 parts to one difference.

I'm game to try, but am also thinking I need to double check my float bowl height as well.

7/5/2020 5:59pm
40:1 has 97.5% gasoline to 2.5% oil
32:1 has 96.8% gasoline to 3.2% oil

Not a huge difference but I can give that a try.

m21racing
7/6/2020 7:47am
Pilot jet looks a bit rich to me, and main seems on lean side. But, it's been a while since i had a smoker

The Shop

7/6/2020 8:35am
Are you losing transmission oil? Make sure the right side crank seal isn’t leaking. Some oils like maxima 927 have a high flash point and create more smoke and spooge. They’re better for wide open high revving racing
7/6/2020 8:43am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2020 8:44am
Are you losing transmission oil? Make sure the right side crank seal isn’t leaking. Some oils like maxima 927 have a high flash point and create...
Are you losing transmission oil? Make sure the right side crank seal isn’t leaking. Some oils like maxima 927 have a high flash point and create more smoke and spooge. They’re better for wide open high revving racing
Not losing any transmission oil.

MXA mentioned that VP may use Maxima in T2, but they were not officially sure. Then again Maxima makes a range of two stroke oils.

Next time I'm near the shop I'll get 5 gallons of C12. What oils would you recommend that have lower flash points, and that could be run at 32:1?
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/6/2020 3:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2020 3:39pm
Need jetting help for a 2007 Kawasaki KX250 at 1,050 ft elevation. Bike has a brand new engine with 2 hours run time. New OEM parts...
Need jetting help for a 2007 Kawasaki KX250 at 1,050 ft elevation.

Bike has a brand new engine with 2 hours run time. New OEM parts: centercases, crankshaft assembly, covers, seals, bearings, all clutch components, and bolts. Also installed: Phathead cylinder head, Boyesen RAD valve, PC works pipe and FMF Turbinecore silencer.

Bike spooges quite a bit. Have it coming around the expansion chamber inlet as well as dripping out the exhaust. Smokes a good bit as well (more so than should be expected for a nearly new two stroke engine)

I run VP T2 race gas which is premixed at 40:1.

Current jetting:
Clip - highest position
Slide: #8
Main: 155
Pilot: 48

It does not foul plugs.

The bike f'ing RIPS, it is extremely fast with a violent powerband. It just spooges a lot.

For your bike and conditions I would recommend

Needle—A Suzuki NECJ needle in the #3 clip position.

https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/part-number/13383-37FE0?mmy=suzuki%…

Pilot—45
Main—160
Air screw—1.5 turns out from fully closed
This setup is to be used with your #8 slide

That Kawasaki NFxx series needle is not one of favorite Series needles. It make the bike hit really hard into the mid, which makes the bike hard to ride. The Suzuki needle will have a smoother transition into the mid with the same on topend.
7/6/2020 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2020 4:23pm
digger wrote:
For your bike and conditions I would recommend Needle—A Suzuki NECJ needle in the #3 clip position. https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/part-number/13383-37FE0?mmy=suzuki%3Brm250%3B2007&group=carburetor&qty=1 Pilot—45 Main—160 Air screw—1.5 turns out from fully...
For your bike and conditions I would recommend

Needle—A Suzuki NECJ needle in the #3 clip position.

https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/part-number/13383-37FE0?mmy=suzuki%…

Pilot—45
Main—160
This setup is to be used with your #8 slide

That Kawasaki NFxx series needle is not one of favorite Series needles. It make the bike hit really hard into the mid, which makes the bike hard to ride. The Suzuki needle will have a smoother transition into the mid with the same on topend.
With those jetting recommendations, would you recommend continuing to run T2 (premixed from VP at 40:1) or get some C12 and mix with Klotz R50 at 32:1? I'm a vet female and am not WFO very much. Goal is a well lubricated bottom and top, but with minimal spooge.

The bike hits so freaking hard in the middle, even with an 11oz flywheel weight. Plan to do some hare scrambles so a tamer power curve will be nice.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/6/2020 4:24pm
With those jetting recommendations, would you recommend continuing to run T2 (premixed from VP at 40:1) or get some C12 and mix with Klotz R50 at...
With those jetting recommendations, would you recommend continuing to run T2 (premixed from VP at 40:1) or get some C12 and mix with Klotz R50 at 32:1? I'm a vet female and am not WFO very much. Goal is a well lubricated bottom and top, but with minimal spooge.

The bike hits so freaking hard in the middle, even with an 11oz flywheel weight. Plan to do some hare scrambles so a tamer power curve will be nice.
I typically cut my fuel, 4 gal 93 octane, 1 gal of 110, but I don’t know where your squish is with your aftermarket head. kX’s always had high crank pressure, so it’s possible you may needs a touch more race fuel, say 3.5 to 1.5 to be on the safe side.
A Suzuki NExx needle will for sure make the bike easier to ride. Have you thought about taking a little timing out of the bike as well to make it easier to ride ? You could also go richer on the starting diameter of the needle. This would also deaden the hit into the middle a little more, but at the expense of some spooge coming out of the silencer, but it would make the bike easier to ride.
7/7/2020 4:59am
digger wrote:
I typically cut my fuel, 4 gal 93 octane, 1 gal of 110, but I don’t know where your squish is with your aftermarket head. kX’s...
I typically cut my fuel, 4 gal 93 octane, 1 gal of 110, but I don’t know where your squish is with your aftermarket head. kX’s always had high crank pressure, so it’s possible you may needs a touch more race fuel, say 3.5 to 1.5 to be on the safe side.
A Suzuki NExx needle will for sure make the bike easier to ride. Have you thought about taking a little timing out of the bike as well to make it easier to ride ? You could also go richer on the starting diameter of the needle. This would also deaden the hit into the middle a little more, but at the expense of some spooge coming out of the silencer, but it would make the bike easier to ride.
Phathead cut a special lower compression insert which is installed currently. I also have standard and high compression inserts. I originally used the standard compression, but the hit was too abrupt for my liking.

I've ridden a new YZ250 smoker and was kind of bored with its power delivery.

Could you comment on a recommended ratio and oil for ideally less spooge, with your recommended jetting above?
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/7/2020 7:41am
With the low compression head, you more than likely don't even need any race fuel to prevent detonation, which is what I would be worried about. I do all my test/riding at 40:1, which is 16oz of oil in 5 gal of fuel. Simply for consistency, I never change it. You'll be more than safe with, 4 gal 93 to 1 gal c12 at your chosen oil ratio.

I stand with what I mention above still. This will smooth the power out , but not neuter it.

NECJ in #3
45 pilot
160 main
A/S 1.5 turns out
and you #8 Slide.

7/7/2020 9:31am
Thanks. Ordered the new needle. Will report back when I have it together and am able to test.
davidgrip
7/7/2020 10:00am
Need jetting help for a 2007 Kawasaki KX250 at 1,050 ft elevation. Bike has a brand new engine with 2 hours run time. New OEM parts...
Need jetting help for a 2007 Kawasaki KX250 at 1,050 ft elevation.

Bike has a brand new engine with 2 hours run time. New OEM parts: centercases, crankshaft assembly, covers, seals, bearings, all clutch components, and bolts. Also installed: Phathead cylinder head, Boyesen RAD valve, PC works pipe and FMF Turbinecore silencer.

Bike spooges quite a bit. Have it coming around the expansion chamber inlet as well as dripping out the exhaust. Smokes a good bit as well (more so than should be expected for a nearly new two stroke engine)

I run VP T2 race gas which is premixed at 40:1.

Current jetting:
Clip - highest position
Slide: #8
Main: 155
Pilot: 48

It does not foul plugs.

The bike f'ing RIPS, it is extremely fast with a violent powerband. It just spooges a lot.

Pro Circuit has jetting recommendations on their website. I ran their setup in my 04 KX125 and it was perfect! Outside temp has to be within 10-15 degrees. Hotter is fine, but lower temps the bike is to lean. I switched back to stock jetting, to expand my range, but it does spooge at the higher temp temps, and does not run nearly as strong. I very highly recommend you start there. They have more time with this bike than anyone else.

8/1/2020 11:47am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2020 11:49am
Been busy on other projects but got the updated jetting (digger's recommendation) installed. Hope to test it out tomorrow.

This plug reading is from last ride a month ago (old jetting). It last ran after I idled back to pits following a kinda slow last lap. Also note it was a B7ES. I plan to replace with a fresh B8ES.

8/2/2020 8:14pm
Back to the drawing board. Plug looks coffee colored, but I have even more spooge than before.

Today I tried a gallong of Motul 710 mixed at 32:1, and some Yamalube at 32:1. Both spooged a LOT, but the yamalube was a bit worse.

8/3/2020 5:38am
@digger, I def like the updated needle. The bike still pulls SUPER hard, but it's not a toggle switch anymore. Much more usable.

Spooges worse than before (see 2 posts right above) though.

Needle—A Suzuki NECJ clip #3
Pilot—45
Main—160
Slide---#8
premix 32:1 (tried Motul 710 and also Yamalube mixed with fresh C12)

Not sure what my next move is....
digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/3/2020 9:03am
@digger, I def like the updated needle. The bike still pulls SUPER hard, but it's not a toggle switch anymore. Much more usable. Spooges worse than...
@digger, I def like the updated needle. The bike still pulls SUPER hard, but it's not a toggle switch anymore. Much more usable.

Pilot—45
Main—160
Slide---#8

I don't really take much stock in reading plugs. There is just too much variation. I go by how the bike/engine feels feels and reacts. The pic of the plug you have above does look almost perfect though.
I don't really have any experience with Motul 2t oils, But I have used Yamalube before. I always found it to run a little dirtier than say Amsoil Dominator, which I currently use, But the wear properties of the Yamalube were always great. the topends always looked good at piston/ring replacement, but there was always a lot of spooge at the jetting settings I liked with it. When you combine the lower flashpoint of the c-12 with the Yamalube, I bet the silencer/swingarm is a mess. I'm not sure how hard you are on the bike rev wise, so you may very well need to use a 2t oil with a lower flashpoint.

How do you like the characteristics of the NExx series needle as compared to the NFxx needle. It should have really smoothed out the low to mid transition, while keeping the same topend feel. I'm pretty confident that your struggle with spooge is not jetting related, when looking at what you are using, jetting wise
8/3/2020 9:53am
@digger, I def like the updated needle. The bike still pulls SUPER hard, but it's not a toggle switch anymore. Much more usable. Spooges worse than...

Pilot—45
Main—160
Slide---#8

digger wrote:
I don't really take much stock in reading plugs. There is just too much variation. I go by how the bike/engine feels feels and reacts. The...
I don't really take much stock in reading plugs. There is just too much variation. I go by how the bike/engine feels feels and reacts. The pic of the plug you have above does look almost perfect though.
I don't really have any experience with Motul 2t oils, But I have used Yamalube before. I always found it to run a little dirtier than say Amsoil Dominator, which I currently use, But the wear properties of the Yamalube were always great. the topends always looked good at piston/ring replacement, but there was always a lot of spooge at the jetting settings I liked with it. When you combine the lower flashpoint of the c-12 with the Yamalube, I bet the silencer/swingarm is a mess. I'm not sure how hard you are on the bike rev wise, so you may very well need to use a 2t oil with a lower flashpoint.

How do you like the characteristics of the NExx series needle as compared to the NFxx needle. It should have really smoothed out the low to mid transition, while keeping the same topend feel. I'm pretty confident that your struggle with spooge is not jetting related, when looking at what you are using, jetting wise
Yep silencer was literally drooling after a 10 minute moto yesterday. Would be interested in any recommendations for low flash premix oils.

Power with the new needle is actually pretty great. It rounded off that toggle switch powerband before. Still pulls super hard, just not as violent from low to mid. I felt more comfortable powering out of corners directly up jumps.

digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/3/2020 10:27am
Yep silencer was literally drooling after a 10 minute moto yesterday. [b] Would be interested in any recommendations for low flash premix oils. [/b] Power with...
Yep silencer was literally drooling after a 10 minute moto yesterday. Would be interested in any recommendations for low flash premix oils.

Power with the new needle is actually pretty great. It rounded off that toggle switch powerband before. Still pulls super hard, just not as violent from low to mid. I felt more comfortable powering out of corners directly up jumps.

I think your best bet for a quality low flashpoint premix oil might be Torco's GP-7. It has a flashpoint about 30 degs less than the Motul 710 and almost 100 degs less than the Yamalube. I would also use the least amount of c-12 that you can get away with to prevent detonation, if that's even a concern.
8/3/2020 11:19am
digger wrote:
I think your best bet for a quality low flashpoint premix oil might be Torco's GP-7. It has a flashpoint about 30 degs less than the...
I think your best bet for a quality low flashpoint premix oil might be Torco's GP-7. It has a flashpoint about 30 degs less than the Motul 710 and almost 100 degs less than the Yamalube. I would also use the least amount of c-12 that you can get away with to prevent detonation, if that's even a concern.
I can def cut it down with 93 pump. My bikes always felt faster with race gas.
8/8/2020 6:56pm
Think I'm on track now. Bike runs so fucking crisp and pulls so hard. I love riding it so much.

But yeah, I had a little remnants of spooge out the silencer (yep, I repacked it before I rode today) but my guess is this was residual oil in the expansion chamber being pushed out from before.

Note pic below where there was a little drippage at the header, but it crusted up by the end of the day. Also getting some nice bluing on the pipe.

For ref, same jetting as in my last reply. Used Torco GP-7 at 40:1 with half C12 and half pump 93. I'm running a BR7ES plug. May switch that down to a BR8ES if the spooge holds off.

Chance1216
8/8/2020 10:53pm
Have you thought about giving Pro Honda HP2 a shot?
8/9/2020 7:17am
Chance1216 wrote:
Have you thought about giving Pro Honda HP2 a shot?
HP2 has a MUCH higher flash point. Higher flash points generally mean more spooge on bikes that aren't ridden WFO everywhere.

I beleive I have a good combo with 50/50 C12/93 and Torco GP-7 at 40:1 (again with jetting outlined in replies above).

digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/9/2020 1:11pm
Think I'm on track now. Bike runs so fucking crisp and pulls so hard. I love riding it so much. But yeah, I had a little...
Think I'm on track now. Bike runs so fucking crisp and pulls so hard. I love riding it so much.

But yeah, I had a little remnants of spooge out the silencer (yep, I repacked it before I rode today) but my guess is this was residual oil in the expansion chamber being pushed out from before.

Note pic below where there was a little drippage at the header, but it crusted up by the end of the day. Also getting some nice bluing on the pipe.

For ref, same jetting as in my last reply. Used Torco GP-7 at 40:1 with half C12 and half pump 93. I'm running a BR7ES plug. May switch that down to a BR8ES if the spooge holds off.

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on it now. Nice job.
8/9/2020 1:15pm
digger wrote:
It looks like you have a pretty good handle on it now. Nice job.
Appreciate your help dialing this bike in.
bvm111
8/16/2020 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2020 1:31pm
i have a TMR modified 2006 KX250, i run C12 mixed with Motorex cross power at 40:1 and below is what he recommended for sea level at 68 degrees. I was running motul 800 and it also had a lot of spooge and loaded up... i started chasing my tail with jetting. I have tried every needle known and every jet and slide.... what he recommended has worked best with adjustments for environmental conditions and elevation and the switch to motorex eliminated the excess spooge from the tail pipe and back of my jersey. My good friend who posts on here as DynoDan used to wrench for Casey Johnson in 2004 on a KX250 and he confirmed this combination, he did say the stock needle has an odd rich section at mid throttle but i was done chasing my tail and just run this combination.

edit: his recommendation for 7 slide was when i was living at 5000 ft elevation in northern nevada, i am in Vegas now and ride between 1800 and sea level and run the 8 and it’s good to go!

I hope this helps

KDXGarage
8/18/2020 2:18am
Buy a ssecond spring for that pipe. That is why it's leaking.

Quit running a 7 to mask problems. Go to 8, such as BR8ECMIX as stock.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/18/2020 6:39am
bvm111 wrote:
i have a TMR modified 2006 KX250, i run C12 mixed with Motorex cross power at 40:1 and below is what he recommended for sea level...
i have a TMR modified 2006 KX250, i run C12 mixed with Motorex cross power at 40:1 and below is what he recommended for sea level at 68 degrees. I was running motul 800 and it also had a lot of spooge and loaded up... i started chasing my tail with jetting. I have tried every needle known and every jet and slide.... what he recommended has worked best with adjustments for environmental conditions and elevation and the switch to motorex eliminated the excess spooge from the tail pipe and back of my jersey. My good friend who posts on here as DynoDan used to wrench for Casey Johnson in 2004 on a KX250 and he confirmed this combination, he did say the stock needle has an odd rich section at mid throttle but i was done chasing my tail and just run this combination.

edit: his recommendation for 7 slide was when i was living at 5000 ft elevation in northern nevada, i am in Vegas now and ride between 1800 and sea level and run the 8 and it’s good to go!

I hope this helps

I see what he is trying to do there, but That is Still going to be one hard hitting engine into mid with that series needle. There is no getting around it, and still have the bike running cleanly off the bottom. I’m taking into account that the majority of people with that bike will be faster with the smoother Power from the Suzuki NExx series needle, especially a woman rider. The bike will also run cleaner with the J diameter needle.
With the jetting currently in her bike she shouldn’t have any reason not to run a BR8xx series plug.
Markopolo400
8/18/2020 1:30pm
32:1 Amsoil Dominator in mine with 91 pump gas. I run 100% stock jetting. The bike runs great.

Only notable changes are Boyesen reeds on the stock block and R304 silencer.

Post a reply to: Jetting help for 2007 KX250

The Latest