JBI Pro Perch 2.0 whose got experience?

mx724
Been looking at these for a while and really like the concept. Going into a set of KYB SSS. Based on my experience you could probably swap these out without replacing the oil. Flip the fork and pull the bottom leg, keeping the oil in the top. Then again may be better to just change oil for simplicity. Wondering about the performance too? Anyone been using these or installed a set? Thanks.
|
4/8/2021 3:00am
I dont know how old your fork oil is but it isnt a bad idea to replace it anyway. And it is way easier to just pull the cartridge out and place the spring perch. If you do it that way you dont have to split the inner and outer tube.
motox11
4/8/2021 3:55am
Worth every penny. Don’t think about it, just buy them.
28hall
4/8/2021 4:21am
Been running them for 3 years. They are definately worth the money. Depending on how many hours on your forks you can swap them out pretty easily without having to dump out the oil. I’m in no way a bike mechanic but I’ve swapped them into 3 sets of forks without any mess or drama just make sure you ask their recommendation on fork oil amount for your bike because I’ve found 10ml increments very noticeable.

The Shop

mx724
4/8/2021 4:25am
28hall what was your method of swapping? I might have 15 hours of fair weather riding on them right now. I don't mind changing the oil, but I'm sure it can be done both ways.
28hall
4/8/2021 4:34am
Well as I stated I’m no mechanic but I undid the the cartridge from the bottom, removed the rebound rod then put the bolt back in finger tight then flipped them upright at an angle, removed fork cap and slid the cartridge out leaving the spring and oil in the tubes. You need a bit of angle so that the perch doesn’t slide off the cartridge but obviously not too much that the oil runs out
mx724
4/8/2021 4:41am
It didnt cross my mind about putting the bolt back in after removing the rod, but probably better than my initial thought on pulling the bottom tube upside down. I have a set in route just deciding when and how to install. Appreciate the insight guys. Sounds like they are worth it.
motox11
4/8/2021 5:57am
With the pro perch, just dump the oil because you could now run less oil in the fork
mx724
4/8/2021 6:00am
Yes I keep seeing that reference, does it come with oil height specs or do you have to ask? Im pretty happy w the fork oil height, was just looking to smooth out front end chatter and smooth out mid to bottom stoke
4/8/2021 9:51am
Running them in my 2020 kx450. Made a very noticeable improvement. Running 45cc less oil than I was without them. JB is an awesome guy to deal with as well
mx724
4/8/2021 10:31am
Seems like everyone gives these things a good review. Going into a 2014 yz250f. Ill have to reach out about the oil qty suggestions but Im within the current range per JBI directions/site.
4/10/2021 9:00am
You need to dump the oil to do this right. You need to remove the cartridge and springs. Dump the oil and turn the tubes upside down and fully extend them to remove all the oil from the area between the two tubes. Then fully compress the cartridge and drain any oil the is trapped in the upper compression chamber. Then you can install the perch and reassemble the forks with the recommended oil volume. If you try to half ass it, it's not going to be right and you're not going to be happy with your investment.
mx724
4/10/2021 9:37am
Mr Rob I can see why you would say that. It will be a few weeks before they go in. Thats probably what Ill end up doing. Still not sure on if Ill lower the oil height tho.
28hall
4/10/2021 1:25pm
You definately want to take 25-30cc’s of oil out. The perches restrict the oil movement so it’s not comparable to what your running stock. Too much oil and the forks won’t settle into turns and ramp up too quickly on the big hits making them very stiff and harsh later in the stroke. From experience and JBI recommendation I would start at 30cc less and you can add oil at the track in 5 cc increments if you think they feel soft like I said earlier 5cc is noticeable with these perches. I ended up at 25cc less then stock on my 20 crf450r with Showa forks and went in on compression 2 after installing.
mx724
4/19/2021 11:39am Edited Date/Time 4/19/2021 12:01pm
28 Hall...Maybe Ill start with dropping 25cc then. I'm a decent B rider maybe not that fast but I know my skill level is just shy of that. I still hit some pretty big jumps and know I can be on the gas when the settings are good. I find it interesting that these are described as smoothing out the whole stroke as well as bottoming resistance.

I was looking to smooth out some of the mid stroke and gain a bit more confidence in the front end feel, which I like pretty well at the moment, but I know could be a bit better. Feels like when I soften up I get more bite, but not enough hold up, when I click in compression wise I get the hold up, but the it pushes.

You are correct in the fact that the perches do have a smaller hole and a shim as well, so while I understand the concept I guess its all based on the oil level really in how well these perches perform? Otherwise they would ramp up quickly as you stated.

Post a reply to: JBI Pro Perch 2.0 whose got experience?

The Latest