Is this common? Hub cracking/deforming at spoke holes...

UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1679th
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2020 9:01am
Hey guys,

Just wondering what thoughts are on this? The hub is cracked/deformed at the spoke holes. The material is very thin there, just wondering if this is somewhat normal or if the hub is junk?

I didn’t even notice until after I disassembled the wheel and cleaned the hub. I assume could be from loose spokes?

|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
1/20/2020 8:55am
UGOTBIT wrote:
Hey guys, Just wondering what thoughts are on this? The hub is cracked/deformed at the spoke holes. The material is very thin there, just wondering if...
Hey guys,

Just wondering what thoughts are on this? The hub is cracked/deformed at the spoke holes. The material is very thin there, just wondering if this is somewhat normal or if the hub is junk?

I didn’t even notice until after I disassembled the wheel and cleaned the hub. I assume could be from loose spokes?

Most likely cause is loose spokes. I'd call it junk and not run it
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
1/20/2020 6:27pm
Oversize, heavy duty, aftermarket spokes? Sometimes people drill the spoke holes larger to run heavy duty spokes and this can happen.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1679th
1/23/2020 9:01am
No oversize spokes, and they did seem tight when removing the hub. I'm a little bummed because I wanted to turn down/coat them, but don't want to put time/effort/money into junk, not to mention the safety factor
1/25/2020 6:44am
Get a spoke torque wrench. They are not outrageously priced and will save you SOOO much money in the long run. It will keep you from over tightening the spokes. Just cause they are tight, doesn't mean it's right.

Post a reply to: Is this common? Hub cracking/deforming at spoke holes...

The Latest