Is this a Cone Valve or not ???

Edited Date/Time 1/28/2019 8:25pm
Bought a set of used Cone Valve Forks back in Oktober 2018.
According to the previous Owner its a 2015 Fork.
After 5 hours it starts leaking on the Seal Rings so i bring it to a WP Service Center to rebuilt.

Today as i pick up my forks at the Dealer he told me its not a CV Fork it has not the Cone Valve inside and he means its an 2012 or 2013 Model ?????

Here some pictures
Thanks for any advice

|
ob
1/18/2019 11:02am
Yes
1/18/2019 12:22pm
DaveJ wrote:
It looks like a 2015 MX4800 Big Bore Cone Valve fork to me.

https://www.wp-group.com/media/1415/53000108-owners-manual-cone-valve-t…

Dave how are you. This is Scott one of your old customers. I finally learned how to set up my own stuff. Also got those kyb sss forks to work on my rmz. Still not perfect like first set of forks you did for me a while back.
RockyRider
Fantasy
3380th
1/18/2019 12:36pm
That makes me scared you had someone service your CV's and not even knowing what they actually are...

The Shop

aees
1/18/2019 1:38pm
This is a cone Valve Fork with cone Valve cartridge for sure. However, I'm guessing previous owner went for a classic midvalve setup instead of the cone Valve system som they removed the actual cone.

Some prefer that. Should not be to expensive to covert back to cone Valve system. For sure interesting to ride both and compare!
mxracer515
1/18/2019 2:16pm
Back in 2013 14 I had 2 sets of 52mm cv that came from the MDK ktm team .

1 set was CV the other had a normal mid valve installed.

The standard mid set worked best ..However at that time I did not know how to set up CV as well as a std mid & CV parts were more difficult to come by then.

Unless the guy that serviced yours completely dissembled cart rod its hard to tell the difference visually from the outside. So to say its not a cone valve he must of removed the cart rod when changing inner chamber oil.
& seen the std mid.

However a CV feels different to me than a std mid when bleeding/ stroking rod during assembly .

Your wear rings are missing from the seal case. you don't want the fork guards to rub them as those still look in good shape

I would have to dissemble & have a look. This is the only way to know for sure. Proper tools will be needed
ob
1/18/2019 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2019 4:52pm
aees wrote:
This is a cone Valve Fork with cone Valve cartridge for sure. However, I'm guessing previous owner went for a classic midvalve setup instead of the...
This is a cone Valve Fork with cone Valve cartridge for sure. However, I'm guessing previous owner went for a classic midvalve setup instead of the cone Valve system som they removed the actual cone.

Some prefer that. Should not be to expensive to covert back to cone Valve system. For sure interesting to ride both and compare!
Just curious as to why you would assume that. Obviously you can’t tell from the outside. I think most guys are happy with the cone valve. I know I love them. Opps re read the post, if your guy knows what’s up then mxracer515 is probably right. Sorry disregard my dumb ass
ob
1/18/2019 4:48pm
Those are the earlier big axel cone valves. I think in 17 they went to a standard axel size. Lots of guys like the more ridged large axel sets.
1/19/2019 4:16am
aees wrote:
This is a cone Valve Fork with cone Valve cartridge for sure. However, I'm guessing previous owner went for a classic midvalve setup instead of the...

Ok but why to replace the CV with a Standard Valve i thougt the Cone Valve is one of the reasons that this fork is Better over a OEM Fork
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/19/2019 8:09am
aees wrote:

Ok but why to replace the CV with a Standard Valve i thougt the Cone Valve is one of the reasons that this fork is Better...
Ok but why to replace the CV with a Standard Valve i thougt the Cone Valve is one of the reasons that this fork is Better over a OEM Fork
Some people and racers like the feel of a normal valve. I guess I’ve heard there’s a surprising amount of racers that take out the cone valve.

Here’s a video explaining what it’s in the fork and Trax shock:
https://youtu.be/D2SR5iJrWiM
Layton
1/22/2019 4:29pm
Or the dealer didn’t know what he was looking at.
4csHATER
1/27/2019 8:36pm
i got screwed over by someone on here when i bought a set of conevalves, he replaced the cone valves with 4cs inserts apperently. I will never ever buy used cone valves ever again in my life, dumbest thing you can possibly do
jeffro503
1/27/2019 8:42pm
4csHATER wrote:
i got screwed over by someone on here when i bought a set of conevalves, he replaced the cone valves with 4cs inserts apperently. I will...
i got screwed over by someone on here when i bought a set of conevalves, he replaced the cone valves with 4cs inserts apperently. I will never ever buy used cone valves ever again in my life, dumbest thing you can possibly do
You bought them from the wrong person I guess. Who did you buy them from? I mean , if he ripped you off , it might be best to tell everyone who that person is , so we can stay clear. I don't remember ever seeing a " complaint thread "......so what happened? You never said anything?
4csHATER
1/27/2019 9:16pm
jeffro503 wrote:
You bought them from the wrong person I guess. Who did you buy them from? I mean , if he ripped you off , it might...
You bought them from the wrong person I guess. Who did you buy them from? I mean , if he ripped you off , it might be best to tell everyone who that person is , so we can stay clear. I don't remember ever seeing a " complaint thread "......so what happened? You never said anything?
i never said anything for because apparently he got them used. it wouldnt have got me anywhere so screw it.
jeffro503
1/27/2019 9:49pm
jeffro503 wrote:
You bought them from the wrong person I guess. Who did you buy them from? I mean , if he ripped you off , it might...
4csHATER wrote:
i never said anything for because apparently he got them used. it wouldnt have got me anywhere so screw it.
Well , if he advertised a sale on here for something that turned out to be junk , and it said that in his ad?? used or not it doesn't really matter. Who in their right mind would change out cone valve stuff for 4CS stuff? If he said it was indeed cone valve and sold you 4CS stuff , I would say that garner's a flaming. Sorry that happened to you btw! There are some great seller's on here though , so I wouldn't let that one sale detour you from buying from the right seller.
swatdoc
1/28/2019 8:25pm
Isn’t it standard practice for Billy at Powerband to replace the cones with a regular midvalve for us normal/non-pro riders?
AJ565
1/29/2019 6:03am
swatdoc wrote:
Isn’t it standard practice for Billy at Powerband to replace the cones with a regular midvalve for us normal/non-pro riders?
No. He told me there is 3 options for the cone based off if you're riding supercross, motocross, or woods and puts in the correct cone for what you're doing if it doesn't already have it. I will say they are night and day different than the AER48.

Post a reply to: Is this a Cone Valve or not ???

The Latest