Is this a Cone Valve or not ???

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2019 8:33 AM

Bought a set of used Cone Valve Forks back in Oktober 2018.
According to the previous Owner its a 2015 Fork.
After 5 hours it starts leaking on the Seal Rings so i bring it to a WP Service Center to rebuilt.

Today as i pick up my forks at the Dealer he told me its not a CV Fork it has not the Cone Valve inside and he means its an 2012 or 2013 Model ?????

Here some pictures
Thanks for any advice
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

1/18/2019 11:02 AM

Yes

|

1/18/2019 11:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2019 11:11 AM

It looks like a 2015 MX4800 Big Bore Cone Valve fork to me.

https://www.wp-group.com/media/1415/53000108-owners-manual-cone-valve-till-2015.pdf

|

1/18/2019 12:22 PM

DaveJ wrote:

It looks like a 2015 MX4800 Big Bore Cone Valve fork to me.

https://www.wp-group.com/media/1415/53000108-owners-manual-cone-valve-till-2015.pdf

Dave how are you. This is Scott one of your old customers. I finally learned how to set up my own stuff. Also got those kyb sss forks to work on my rmz. Still not perfect like first set of forks you did for me a while back.

|

1/18/2019 12:36 PM

That makes me scared you had someone service your CV's and not even knowing what they actually are...

|

1/18/2019 1:38 PM

This is a cone Valve Fork with cone Valve cartridge for sure. However, I'm guessing previous owner went for a classic midvalve setup instead of the cone Valve system som they removed the actual cone.

Some prefer that. Should not be to expensive to covert back to cone Valve system. For sure interesting to ride both and compare!

|

1/18/2019 2:16 PM

Back in 2013 14 I had 2 sets of 52mm cv that came from the MDK ktm team .

1 set was CV the other had a normal mid valve installed.

The standard mid set worked best ..However at that time I did not know how to set up CV as well as a std mid & CV parts were more difficult to come by then.

Unless the guy that serviced yours completely dissembled cart rod its hard to tell the difference visually from the outside. So to say its not a cone valve he must of removed the cart rod when changing inner chamber oil.
& seen the std mid.


However a CV feels different to me than a std mid when bleeding/ stroking rod during assembly .

Your wear rings are missing from the seal case. you don't want the fork guards to rub them as those still look in good shape

I would have to dissemble & have a look. This is the only way to know for sure. Proper tools will be needed

|

1/18/2019 4:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2019 4:52 PM

aees wrote:

This is a cone Valve Fork with cone Valve cartridge for sure. However, I'm guessing previous owner went for a classic midvalve setup instead of the cone Valve system som they removed the actual cone.

Some prefer that. Should not be to expensive to covert back to cone Valve system. For sure interesting to ride both and compare!

Just curious as to why you would assume that. Obviously you can’t tell from the outside. I think most guys are happy with the cone valve. I know I love them. Opps re read the post, if your guy knows what’s up then mxracer515 is probably right. Sorry disregard my dumb ass

|

1/18/2019 4:48 PM

Those are the earlier big axel cone valves. I think in 17 they went to a standard axel size. Lots of guys like the more ridged large axel sets.

|

1/19/2019 4:16 AM

aees wrote:

This is a cone Valve Fork with cone Valve cartridge for sure. However, I'm guessing previous owner went for a classic midvalve setup instead of the cone Valve system som they removed the actual cone.

Some prefer that. Should not be to expensive to covert back to cone Valve system. For sure interesting to ride both and compare!

Ok but why to replace the CV with a Standard Valve i thougt the Cone Valve is one of the reasons that this fork is Better over a OEM Fork

|

1/19/2019 8:09 AM

aees wrote:

This is a cone Valve Fork with cone Valve cartridge for sure. However, I'm guessing previous owner went for a classic midvalve setup instead of the cone Valve system som they removed the actual cone.

Some prefer that. Should not be to expensive to covert back to cone Valve system. For sure interesting to ride both and compare!

KTM Two Stroke wrote:

Ok but why to replace the CV with a Standard Valve i thougt the Cone Valve is one of the reasons that this fork is Better over a OEM Fork

Some people and racers like the feel of a normal valve. I guess I’ve heard there’s a surprising amount of racers that take out the cone valve.

Here’s a video explaining what it’s in the fork and Trax shock:

|

1/22/2019 4:29 PM

Or the dealer didn’t know what he was looking at.

|

1/23/2019 12:37 AM

Sure looks like Cone Valves to me.

|

1/27/2019 8:36 PM

i got screwed over by someone on here when i bought a set of conevalves, he replaced the cone valves with 4cs inserts apperently. I will never ever buy used cone valves ever again in my life, dumbest thing you can possibly do

|

1/27/2019 8:42 PM

4csHATER wrote:

i got screwed over by someone on here when i bought a set of conevalves, he replaced the cone valves with 4cs inserts apperently. I will never ever buy used cone valves ever again in my life, dumbest thing you can possibly do

You bought them from the wrong person I guess. Who did you buy them from? I mean , if he ripped you off , it might be best to tell everyone who that person is , so we can stay clear. I don't remember ever seeing a " complaint thread "......so what happened? You never said anything?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/27/2019 9:16 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

You bought them from the wrong person I guess. Who did you buy them from? I mean , if he ripped you off , it might be best to tell everyone who that person is , so we can stay clear. I don't remember ever seeing a " complaint thread "......so what happened? You never said anything?

i never said anything for because apparently he got them used. it wouldnt have got me anywhere so screw it.

|

1/27/2019 9:49 PM

4csHATER wrote:

i got screwed over by someone on here when i bought a set of conevalves, he replaced the cone valves with 4cs inserts apperently. I will never ever buy used cone valves ever again in my life, dumbest thing you can possibly do

jeffro503 wrote:

You bought them from the wrong person I guess. Who did you buy them from? I mean , if he ripped you off , it might be best to tell everyone who that person is , so we can stay clear. I don't remember ever seeing a " complaint thread "......so what happened? You never said anything?

4csHATER wrote:

i never said anything for because apparently he got them used. it wouldnt have got me anywhere so screw it.

Well , if he advertised a sale on here for something that turned out to be junk , and it said that in his ad?? used or not it doesn't really matter. Who in their right mind would change out cone valve stuff for 4CS stuff? If he said it was indeed cone valve and sold you 4CS stuff , I would say that garner's a flaming. Sorry that happened to you btw! There are some great seller's on here though , so I wouldn't let that one sale detour you from buying from the right seller.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/28/2019 8:25 PM

Isn’t it standard practice for Billy at Powerband to replace the cones with a regular midvalve for us normal/non-pro riders?

|

1/29/2019 6:03 AM

swatdoc wrote:

Isn’t it standard practice for Billy at Powerband to replace the cones with a regular midvalve for us normal/non-pro riders?

No. He told me there is 3 options for the cone based off if you're riding supercross, motocross, or woods and puts in the correct cone for what you're doing if it doesn't already have it. I will say they are night and day different than the AER48.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ