Is my Bell Flex helmet junk after my recent crash?

Motofinne
Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 10:52am
So i went over the bars in the qualification in the weekends race and hit my head. I examined the helmet after the race and found this.

The middle red layer has clearly taken an impact, i guess it wont hold up in the next crash?

|
Lynch
7/24/2017 4:04am
I would put it on the shelf, better safe than sorry.
Mx746
7/24/2017 4:31am
Personally I'd retire it. Bell may be one of the manufacturers that inspect for damage might be worth a try
Mx746
7/24/2017 4:31am
Personally I'd retire it. Bell may be one of the manufacturers that inspect for damage might be worth a try nice choice in helmets btw
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
7/24/2017 4:34am
Motofinne wrote:
So i went over the bars in the qualification in the weekends race and hit my head. I examined the helmet after the race and found...
So i went over the bars in the qualification in the weekends race and hit my head. I examined the helmet after the race and found this.

The middle red layer has clearly taken an impact, i guess it wont hold up in the next crash?

The helmet is scrap now. That foam crushing is what kept you from having a serious injury. With helmets, once the foam distorts, it's done. It's lost its ability to absorb impact energy.

The Shop

Motofinne
7/24/2017 6:06am
I guess that it is useless, too bad. I really love the McGrath colorway...

It did its job, i got a sore neck, shoulder and back but i didn't get a concussion.
dylanv21
7/24/2017 10:37am
You can send it into bell and they will tell you. Worth a shot to get an opinion from the experts..
Tracktor
7/24/2017 10:43am
dylanv21 wrote:
You can send it into bell and they will tell you. Worth a shot to get an opinion from the experts..
^^ This... I thought one of our brand new Bells was ruined after finding some paint off the lining right in the middle on front. No crashes that I knew of on it (son's helmet). Then I noticed the rest of them had the same spot. 100% goggles have a raised part in the center & it crushes up into the foam.

Have them check it before chucking it..........
Motofinne
7/24/2017 10:48am
dylanv21 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
^^ This... I thought one of our brand new Bells was ruined after finding some paint off the lining right in the middle on front. No...
^^ This... I thought one of our brand new Bells was ruined after finding some paint off the lining right in the middle on front. No crashes that I knew of on it (son's helmet). Then I noticed the rest of them had the same spot. 100% goggles have a raised part in the center & it crushes up into the foam.

Have them check it before chucking it..........
Yeah the red paint on the middle layer wears off really easy. Even the Finnish PSE parts Europe boss told me that when i bought my first Flex helmet(i have 2).

The problem with shipping it out to Bell is the cost. I can get a brand new Flex helmet for 350€.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/24/2017 10:52am
Congratulations, it saved your life. Get a new one.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
55th
7/24/2017 1:36pm
The red and black are supposed to bounce back after being hit. The paint doesn't stay on very good either on the red layer, so it may have just been disturbed when it was compressed. As long as the grey eps layer is fine I would run it but if you want a new one for peace of mind do it.
phatfi20
7/25/2017 6:57am
The red and black are supposed to bounce back after being hit. The paint doesn't stay on very good either on the red layer, so it...
The red and black are supposed to bounce back after being hit. The paint doesn't stay on very good either on the red layer, so it may have just been disturbed when it was compressed. As long as the grey eps layer is fine I would run it but if you want a new one for peace of mind do it.
Can't help but point out and laugh. Only on the internet can you take helmet safety advice from someone named Jack_Mehoff.

No offense to you jack or your advice. I'm sure you are gentleman and a scholar, but the comedy writes itself.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
7/25/2017 7:04am
The Bell helmet inspection process is a joke.

When I called, the lady on the phone did everything she could to dissuade me from sending mine in and was trying her best to sell me a new helmet instead. I was adamant about wanting to get mine checked, however, and so that's what I did. I cleaned the helmet up and it looked surprisingly good. I purposefully didn't tell them which part of the helmet I was concerned about because if they found something, they should be able to tell me.

Well, they didn't find anything wrong the helmet but told me they still couldn't recommend wearing it again and that I should buy a new one. From them. Right now on the phone.

She said they never recommend wearing a helmet that has hit the ground regardless of if they find damage or not. I asked "Then why do you even offer the inspection service?". I don't even remember her answer but I'm sure it didn't make any sense.
Tracktor
7/25/2017 12:27pm
SPYGUY wrote:
The Bell helmet inspection process is a joke. When I called, the lady on the phone did everything she could to dissuade me from sending mine...
The Bell helmet inspection process is a joke.

When I called, the lady on the phone did everything she could to dissuade me from sending mine in and was trying her best to sell me a new helmet instead. I was adamant about wanting to get mine checked, however, and so that's what I did. I cleaned the helmet up and it looked surprisingly good. I purposefully didn't tell them which part of the helmet I was concerned about because if they found something, they should be able to tell me.

Well, they didn't find anything wrong the helmet but told me they still couldn't recommend wearing it again and that I should buy a new one. From them. Right now on the phone.

She said they never recommend wearing a helmet that has hit the ground regardless of if they find damage or not. I asked "Then why do you even offer the inspection service?". I don't even remember her answer but I'm sure it didn't make any sense.
I guess i stand corrected. Save your postage..............
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
7/25/2017 1:01pm
Will look good in your shop, and if you continue to ride for years to come you will probably have some more to add.

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
7/25/2017 2:33pm
The red and black are supposed to bounce back after being hit. The paint doesn't stay on very good either on the red layer, so it...
If it was compressed it's lost it's ability to absorb impact and it's done. Using a helmet with the foam in that condition is asking for a head injury, if not death.
swtwtwtw
7/26/2017 4:02pm
If it was compressed it's lost it's ability to absorb impact and it's done. Using a helmet with the foam in that condition is asking for...
If it was compressed it's lost it's ability to absorb impact and it's done. Using a helmet with the foam in that condition is asking for a head injury, if not death.
I subscribe to the above notion. However, how the hell did we survive the 70's 80's and 90's crashing hard over and over in our favorite helmet.

Post a reply to: Is my Bell Flex helmet junk after my recent crash?

The Latest