Is a replate needed for my cylinder

zac_k3
Edited Date/Time 2/7/2020 9:11am
Pulled my top end from my cr today and found some scarring on the walls, i can barely feel it when i rub my fingers over it. Can it just be honed?

|
DynoDan22
2/3/2020 11:57am
I'd get it replated if it was my cylinder. Looks like the piston stuck a little and took out the plating. Can it be honed and resused? Maybe but you're only buying time until she grenades for good. Steer into the skid and get it replated. Just my opinion.
Paw Paw 271
2/3/2020 12:05pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
I'd get it replated if it was my cylinder. Looks like the piston stuck a little and took out the plating. Can it be honed and...
I'd get it replated if it was my cylinder. Looks like the piston stuck a little and took out the plating. Can it be honed and resused? Maybe but you're only buying time until she grenades for good. Steer into the skid and get it replated. Just my opinion.
X2

Paw Paw
zac_k3
2/4/2020 12:22am
thanks guys, i’ll be sending it out to Ken Oconnor for a replete and reassembly sometime this week. here’s the pictures of the piston, it definitely got stuck and took material from the cylinder and piston. amazingly the crank feels very solid with no up/down play!

The Shop

kb228
2/4/2020 5:16am
Just send it to powerseal or millennium. They do the replates for the smaller shops. Send a piston too so they size it correctly.
DynoDan22
2/4/2020 6:51am
You got lucky. That piston was close to giving up the ghost and shattering the intake skirt. I would recommend cleaning out the bottom end and really inspecting the crankcase for debris. I see a significant amount of material missing from the piston and I'm sure not all of it magically adhered to the cylinder wall. If any of the leftover piston debris is left in the crankcase, it will ruin the new plate job or worse. I'd at least flush the bottom but I'd split the case and inspect/clean/replace as necessary.
zac_k3
2/4/2020 11:27am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2020 11:31am
kb228 wrote:
Just send it to powerseal or millennium. They do the replates for the smaller shops. Send a piston too so they size it correctly.
I was going to do that to begin with but for $40 more they’ll completely strip the cylinder, clean and inspect the power valve, and then reassemble it. I’m unfamiliar with power valves and the head studs are very crusty so i’ll just pay the extra money for piece of mind.
zac_k3
2/4/2020 11:31am
DynoDan22 wrote:
You got lucky. That piston was close to giving up the ghost and shattering the intake skirt. I would recommend cleaning out the bottom end and...
You got lucky. That piston was close to giving up the ghost and shattering the intake skirt. I would recommend cleaning out the bottom end and really inspecting the crankcase for debris. I see a significant amount of material missing from the piston and I'm sure not all of it magically adhered to the cylinder wall. If any of the leftover piston debris is left in the crankcase, it will ruin the new plate job or worse. I'd at least flush the bottom but I'd split the case and inspect/clean/replace as necessary.
For sure! I’m already in the process of completely disassembling the engine just had to take a break for some sleep, i’ll probably work on it some more this weekend. I pulled the right side case off and besides a wore out clutch basket everything looked good, i’ll pop the left side off and go over the tranny and most likely replace the bearings.
danman
2/4/2020 1:01pm
I concur with everyone. Redo the cylinder. I've seen worse, but they were usually attributed to a motor that was grenaded!

Post a reply to: Is a replate needed for my cylinder

The Latest