Hussy 250 issues

9/24/2018 11:40am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2018 5:56am
Fresh top end rebuild (new nickel sleeve and vertex piston kit), bike kicks over but sounds like a bag of skank, theres a loud tap in rhyme with the tick over?? smoke kicks outa bit (ratio 50:1). some pictures attached

|
9/24/2018 11:46am
Also....When i sent it off for the replating they took the power valve apart so it came back in pieces, i reinstalled it but it would get stuck open. I managed to lube it up well so it stays down now, i can push it up with force as its under tension. Don't know whether that helps.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
9/24/2018 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2018 3:34pm
-Piston in the correct direction?
-Ring end gap set?
-Pre lube everything?
-Base gasket correct height?
-Did they match the cylinder to the piston?
Paw Paw 271
9/24/2018 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2018 3:37pm
That cylinder does not look good.
How is the crank, rod and crank bearings?

Paw Paw
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
9/24/2018 4:20pm
That cylinder does not look good.
How is the crank, rod and crank bearings?

Paw Paw
Thats what I was thinking.. Those wear makes look crazy to me.

The Shop

9/25/2018 12:21pm
Ive had a profession race mechanic go all over the bottom end and replace the main end bearings so thats fine.
I did have an issue with the power valve first time installing it as it was getting stuck but i cleaned it up and it now has movement.

Ive just checked the jetting and the only thing that was questionable was that the main jet was #178 when i should be running a #162. From the charting that seems quite far out???

Also the cylinder was fit for the piston size. ill check the ring gap tomorrow. I have seen elsewhere that those marks can be normal for when its a cylinder thats been resleeved have you lot heard that ???

Cheers for the help guys!!! i mean people..you people.....dont want to presume anything in this politically correct day of age :D
Keating
9/29/2018 9:46am
If it's not the ring gap, it might be too big of a piston for the cylinder plating.... You possibly got a slightly larger piston for slight worn cylinders!! Check and make sure your piston is the smaller size. I think Vertex pistons come in size I & II.... Look on the top of the piston and see. To be sure of proper clearance, check the measurements with a micrometer.
Good luck!!!
9/29/2018 1:21pm
Keating wrote:
If it's not the ring gap, it might be too big of a piston for the cylinder plating.... You possibly got a slightly larger piston for...
If it's not the ring gap, it might be too big of a piston for the cylinder plating.... You possibly got a slightly larger piston for slight worn cylinders!! Check and make sure your piston is the smaller size. I think Vertex pistons come in size I & II.... Look on the top of the piston and see. To be sure of proper clearance, check the measurements with a micrometer.
Good luck!!!
Cheers will do!

Update swell..... I ran a compression test and it only hit 130psi -_-, i have changed the base cylinder gasket as i thought i could see some coolant in the cylinder (could this have caused the score?). put it back together and the compression was the same, I'm guessing its the ring gap now.

Question is now, if it turns out be the piston size or wrong ring gap will those score marks take a lot of running time of the top end??? or because they seem to be very light and over hardly ran the engine in that it won't really have any effect at all.
Keating
9/30/2018 4:48pm
If you can feel the scoring with your finger tips, it's bad; if you can only see it, then running a hone through it should fix it right up....
Have you checked the ring gap? Do you know how? What was on the top of the piston?
Keating
10/5/2018 10:54am
How's it coming along Harbage?? Any progress??
10/6/2018 12:21am
Yes Keating all back up and running now! Smile so had the mechanic run through it all turns out my top end rebuild was done correctly and so couldn't explain why there was score marks, you can't feel them with your finger tips so I'm going to run it in and ride a couple of hours and take it off to inspect.

Now he didn't explain the issue very well and i was in a rush but from this is what he said. The throttle cable was retarded?? and something was not fit in correctly in the carb?? I replaced the float valve so potentially that or could it be the actual floats.

Kinda bitter sweat because it turns out pretty simple fix but my rebuild was successful so you live and learn.

thanks for the help !
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
10/6/2018 1:38pm
Is that a 2015 or so, last gen Husky? Don't worry about the main jet, my '13 250sx came with a 165 or so but I always ran around 180 main at most tracks. Sleeves suck, why not a new cylinder or repair/replate?
10/8/2018 12:42pm
seth505 wrote:
Is that a 2015 or so, last gen Husky? Don't worry about the main jet, my '13 250sx came with a 165 or so but I...
Is that a 2015 or so, last gen Husky? Don't worry about the main jet, my '13 250sx came with a 165 or so but I always ran around 180 main at most tracks. Sleeves suck, why not a new cylinder or repair/replate?
Yeah its a 2015, yeah it seemed to run fine on the 178 before i rebuilt. if i recall when i contacted the shop they said as its was a nickel lined cylinder it couldn't be bored out and so my only option was a sleeve. Never really considered a new cylinder....expensive much i guess?.

Keating
10/10/2018 5:55am
Well, let us know how your couple hours of riding goes and hopefully it'll all work out Perfect!!!!!

Post a reply to: Hussy 250 issues

The Latest