Husqvarna sight glass question

Related:
Create New Tag

4/23/2018 8:53 PM

I have a 2016 fc450 that was burning oil. So I changed the rings and valve seals. I put the correct amount of oil according to the manual in and have ran the bike 3 hours since the work was done. I’ve noticed when cold on a stand oil is at the bottom or doesn’t even show up in the sight glass but when warm the oil is at the correct level. The manual states it should be halfway in the sight glass cold and hot. Should I trust the sight glass? The bike is showing no signs of burning oil or leaking oil so I’m stumped

|

4/23/2018 10:24 PM

jridout12 wrote:

I have a 2016 fc450 that was burning oil. So I changed the rings and valve seals. I put the correct amount of oil according to ...more

It should be at halfway when cold...and just below top when hot.....also make sure you have the bike level (not on the stand)...

|

4/24/2018 5:36 AM

greg570 wrote:

It should be at halfway when cold...and just below top when hot.....also make sure you have the bike level (not on the ...more

What would cause it to be at the correct level when warm and not when cold? I don’t know how it could be losing oil again with fresh rings and seals

|

4/24/2018 6:31 AM

I measure my oil amount when replacing. 1000cc for just oil and 1200cc when it’s filter +oil

|

4/24/2018 7:27 AM

Sight glasses are meant to be a visual indicator not a fill gauge.

As long as you are measuring your oil per the manual, and confident you have no leaks, there is nothing to worry about.

You should also get in the habit of measuring the amount of used oil you take out when you do an oil change. You will not recover 100% of the volume, but if you are missing considerable amounts you may still have a small oil burn issue. The amount you recover should be pretty consistent until you start to run into ring wear again.

|

4/24/2018 7:54 AM

mxtech1 wrote:

Sight glasses are meant to be a visual indicator not a fill gauge.

As long as you are measuring your oil per the manual, and ...more

Okay thanks I’ve never measured the amount I take out so I’ll start doing that

|

4/24/2018 11:28 AM

Also, inspect your oil when you drain it. Looks for metal shavings or strange smells, etc. That oil tells a story.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.