Husky fork questions. Help needed.

chasetwo79
So I’m picking up a leftover, but still brand new FC 450 this week from the dealer and I was hoping to get some help on a couple of questions on the forks.

I have a 2015 fc450 that has Ohlins RFX drop in spring kit in the WP cartridges. I plan on selling the bike. The forks have less than 30 total hours and recently were completely revalved.

Should/can I:
1. Put those forks on the 2019? Would they fit?
2. If so could the 2019 AERs fit on the 2015 to swap and sell it?
3. Should I just sell the 2015 with the ohlins on them and pick up a new set of RXF or CVs?
4. Should I just get the 2019 WP air forks worked on and improved?

Thanks in advance for the feedback,

|
Monk
3/14/2020 7:34am
chasetwo79 wrote:
So I’m picking up a leftover, but still brand new FC 450 this week from the dealer and I was hoping to get some help on...
So I’m picking up a leftover, but still brand new FC 450 this week from the dealer and I was hoping to get some help on a couple of questions on the forks.

I have a 2015 fc450 that has Ohlins RFX drop in spring kit in the WP cartridges. I plan on selling the bike. The forks have less than 30 total hours and recently were completely revalved.

Should/can I:
3. Should I just sell the 2015 with the ohlins on them and pick up a new set of RXF or CVs?

-Your older forks will fit but will be shorter then the AER and have to be adjusted accordingly height wise

-The AER will fit on the 15 but will be longer and need to

-The axle diameters will be the same

-19 AER forks are pretty nice but like any air fork have a break in period and tuning. Pressure, oil height, valving all will make for a great setup... I found spring forks to be easier starting point but you also have to pay upfront...
chasetwo79
3/14/2020 11:05am
chasetwo79 wrote:
So I’m picking up a leftover, but still brand new FC 450 this week from the dealer and I was hoping to get some help on...

Should/can I:

Monk wrote:
-Your older forks will fit but will be shorter then the AER and have to be adjusted accordingly height wise -The AER will fit on the...
-Your older forks will fit but will be shorter then the AER and have to be adjusted accordingly height wise

-19 AER forks are pretty nice but like any air fork have a break in period and tuning. Pressure, oil height, valving all will make for a great setup... I found spring forks to be easier starting point but you also have to pay upfront...
Would the spring forks off my 2015 feel much different than if I swapped out the internals on the 2019 aer set once I had the fork height sorted out?
Layton
3/14/2020 11:34am
You can’t directly swap them because the bottom inside of the lug is different on the AER.
Monk
3/14/2020 1:19pm
chasetwo79 wrote:

Should/can I:

Monk wrote:
-Your older forks will fit but will be shorter then the AER and have to be adjusted accordingly height wise -The AER will fit on the...

chasetwo79 wrote:
Would the spring forks off my 2015 feel much different than if I swapped out the internals on the 2019 aer set once I had the...
Would the spring forks off my 2015 feel much different than if I swapped out the internals on the 2019 aer set once I had the fork height sorted out?
You can't swap out the internals. The AER fork lugs have a smaller diameter for the cartilage then the 4cs forks. You would have to swap lugs also. The forks will bolt right up, the cartridges won't...

The Shop

chasetwo79
3/14/2020 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2020 1:26pm
Monk wrote:

chasetwo79 wrote:
Would the spring forks off my 2015 feel much different than if I swapped out the internals on the 2019 aer set once I had the...
Monk wrote:
You can't swap out the internals. The AER fork lugs have a smaller diameter for the cartilage then the 4cs forks. You would have to swap...
You can't swap out the internals. The AER fork lugs have a smaller diameter for the cartilage then the 4cs forks. You would have to swap lugs also. The forks will bolt right up, the cartridges won't...
I think I worded that wrong. My question was - Would there be a noticeable difference between me putting the forks from my older bike on the 2019 versus if I got the new ohlins kit for the 2019 forks.

Basically, have there been drastic enough improvements in the last 4 years to warrant not using the expensive set of spring forks that I already have and getting a new ohlins or other company drop in kit for the 2019 forks?

Sorry for the confusion. Just trying to figure out the best path to take.

Thanks!
WEAL
3/15/2020 12:48pm
If you stay with HQV or KTM for a while you could buy a CV fork and use it on several bikes. I have (a very good) AER, standart spring forks from 2015 and 2018 CV - the springforks are better than AER but the CV has much more reserve to handle overjumping and high speed bumps. So I would just buy a used CV and put it on this and the next bike.

Post a reply to: Husky fork questions. Help needed.

The Latest