How to start faster from dead engine start on KTM 350?

rob27ma
1/22/2020 7:43am
I have a stock 2019 KTM 350 and I'm looking for some tips to get the bike to start faster from dead engine starts. It starts ok, but compared to 2-strokes it's not as instant so I'm curious what other may have done to improve this. Larger battery? ECU mapping? Any other ideas?
|
kb228
1/22/2020 8:53am
Im not an expert on dead starts but i can say having a good map and tps setting will help ease of starting. Whether that gets you close to a 2 stroke i dont know. I dont know if a 4 stroke could ever start as fast as a 2 stroke due to the 4 strokes basic design.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
1/22/2020 10:38am
rob27ma wrote:
I have a stock 2019 KTM 350 and I'm looking for some tips to get the bike to start faster from dead engine starts. It starts...
I have a stock 2019 KTM 350 and I'm looking for some tips to get the bike to start faster from dead engine starts. It starts ok, but compared to 2-strokes it's not as instant so I'm curious what other may have done to improve this. Larger battery? ECU mapping? Any other ideas?
Some riders bump it over with the E-start till they get to top dead center compression, like you would with a kicker. I'm sure that takes a good deal of practice to do reliably. Other than that I got nothing
Bennett59
1/22/2020 2:03pm
My 16 350 you bump the starter to get the battery and everything energized then it would fire no problem. if I just tried starting it cold it always felt like my 350 cranked longer then my buddies 450
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
1/22/2020 9:26pm
Firepower batter and ECU remap from Twisted Development. My bike will start if I look at the button.

Or if you can afford it the Vortex with maps from Twisted.

The Shop

euffeh
1/23/2020 1:21am
Lithium batteries dont like cold temperatures. Press the button for 5 seconds then count 30 to let the heat spread inside the battery. If you wanna cold start it easier in hotter temperatures, just blip the starter button once to prime the fuel system first.
rob27ma
1/23/2020 5:39am
Firepower batter and ECU remap from Twisted Development. My bike will start if I look at the button. Or if you can afford it the Vortex...
Firepower batter and ECU remap from Twisted Development. My bike will start if I look at the button.

What bike and what size battery did you go with?
lumpy790
1/23/2020 8:33am
They put in a much stronger battery so they can push button in gear with clutch out so it moves the bike forward as the bike starts. Inches can mean a LOT on a start
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
1/23/2020 9:34am
lumpy790 wrote:
They put in a much stronger battery so they can push button in gear with clutch out so it moves the bike forward as the bike...
They put in a much stronger battery so they can push button in gear with clutch out so it moves the bike forward as the bike starts. Inches can mean a LOT on a start
They're doing that with 24v starting systems. Can't do that with 12v
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
1/23/2020 9:27pm
Firepower batter and ECU remap from Twisted Development. My bike will start if I look at the button. Or if you can afford it the Vortex...

rob27ma wrote:
What bike and what size battery did you go with?
2019 KTM 350. I got a Firepower from Rocky Mountain ATV
15tc150
1/24/2020 1:17pm
Go over your electrical system, and make sure that your grounds aren't being blocked from making good contact from paint, bolt threads are not a good enough contact to
Transfer electricity. aluminum frame bikes aren't an issue with this, as they are a bare conductor pretty much, but painted steel frame bikes sometimes don't have the best grounding points due to the paint blocking the two surfaces from meeting. I gained a lot of low end from grounding my head to the frame better to make sure the voltage was being put back into the system, bad grounds, means more resistance, and won't run as well as it should with proper ground contact. A bad ground could
Cause you issues all over the place, poor starting, battery doesn't charge quickly, poor spark, and injector operation due to
Not operating at peak voltage, weak fuel
Pressure.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
1/24/2020 9:37pm
rob27ma wrote:
I have a stock 2019 KTM 350 and I'm looking for some tips to get the bike to start faster from dead engine starts. It starts...
Some riders bump it over with the E-start till they get to top dead center compression, like you would with a kicker. I'm sure that takes...
Some riders bump it over with the E-start till they get to top dead center compression, like you would with a kicker. I'm sure that takes a good deal of practice to do reliably. Other than that I got nothing
How can you tell when it's on top dead center? I know what it feels like with a kickstarter but can't detect it with just an electric start.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
1/25/2020 9:11am
SPYGUY wrote:
How can you tell when it's on top dead center? I know what it feels like with a kickstarter but can't detect it with just an...
How can you tell when it's on top dead center? I know what it feels like with a kickstarter but can't detect it with just an electric start.
You're just bumping the starter a bit at a time. When you get to the point where the engine doesn't roll through the revolution, and the starter drive kicks back a bit is when you're right before TDC, which is where you want to be. It's difficult to do, and takes a lot of practice to figure out. I'm not sure if it's worth it, but some think it is.
Taylor415
1/25/2020 10:30pm
Battery. Cold cranking amps are your friend. It's changed names about three times over the past couple years, but the WPS featherlight is awesome, whatever it's called now. Stock battery was fine for Moto but after mine died, this upgrade was a no brainer.

Post a reply to: How to start faster from dead engine start on KTM 350?

The Latest