How to remove stuck wrist pin C clip?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/4/2020 9:18 PM

I am finishing up the engine refresh and need to replace the piston. The bike has sat for a long time and the wrist pin is stuck in the piston because the c clips are stuck solid. I have the tool to remove them but they will not budge. I blasted them with PB blaster. I have a torch. What is the best way to get them out? I don't have the ability to cut the piston. I can get a wrist pin puller from the auto shop or make one. Can I just force the pin out over the clips?

|

8/5/2020 5:18 AM

You can't force the pin over the circlips. It has to be removed. Can you post some close up pics? Maybe we can see something you are missing. Check out this video for installation and removal...ignore the horrible background noise!

|

8/5/2020 6:55 AM

Brett Campbell wrote:

You can't force the pin over the circlips. It has to be removed. Can you post some close up pics? Maybe we can see something you are missing. Check out this video for installation and removal...ignore the horrible background noise!

I will try and post some pictures. Essentially, the piston looks old, when you look inside you can see the pins in the groves, but they won't budge when I put anything in there to get them out. I don't have that little tool the guy is using, but even if I did, the c clips that are in my piston are open where that groove is. There is one groove like the two that are in the video and that is where the c clip isnt on my piston. Its like the letter C pointing down, and the grove to remove the clip is at the opening on the C, on the 6PM position on the wrist pin hole.

|

8/5/2020 7:35 AM

Maybe some PB plaster soaked in the grove to start. Rinse and repeat a couple times. You do need a fine pick to tap and try and rotate it, or a super fine pair of needle nose pliers to grab one end and try and rotate or twist.

If that won’t get you anywhere, may need to use a heat gun and try to heat directed at the grove portion.

|

8/5/2020 8:18 AM

Drill the notch in piston bigger to expose more of the clip so you can get under it w a heavier tool

|

8/5/2020 9:09 AM

Factor E wrote:

Drill the notch in piston bigger to expose more of the clip so you can get under it w a heavier tool

This. Or drill a new notch where the clip is so you don’t have to spin it. If you’re concerned about drilling too far, use a stop collar.

|

8/5/2020 9:22 AM

Try the drilling it out bigger to get to the clip. I had a wrist pin seized to the rod before and had to cut through the piston and wrist pin

|

8/5/2020 10:43 AM

I got them off. The clips were either installed upside down or they moved. I had a small drill bit and I drilled the piston and made a new slot to pull one of the clips out. It worked like a charm.

|