How to lose 10lbs on a kx/rmz/crf/yz 450?

jdsmooth
Edited Date/Time 7/31/2021 12:31pm
Someone in the KTM thread in Moto-Related made a comment that if the Japanese 450s could shed 10lbs, maybe they would be more competitive with the Austrian brand

"If Honda/Yamaha and Kawi could remove 10lbs off each bike and still be less expensive (in my parts a KTM will command over $1000 more then anything from Japan) it would probably really put a dent in KTM sales..." - @Monk

What modifications would it take to lose 10lbs off of a 2019 KX 450? According to the Vital 450 shootout, the kx is 9lbs heavier than the ktm. I know this is well-trod territory, but I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

|
H4L
2/5/2019 6:21am
I haven't ridden all the newest Japanese 450 brands, but the 10lbs. is not felt on an 18 CRF450r owned in comparison to a 17 1/2 KTM 450 SXF FE I test rode.
The engineers did a very good job of centralizing the mass weight while in motion which is what counts & not it being on the stand or the scales.
If you read some of the 19 shootouts the riders made comments about the KTM / Huskies feeling heavier vs. some of the Japanese brands. What's on the scales could be deceiving to how the bike feels on the track.
In my case as a consumer I'm looking for performance, durability, longevity, quality & not necessarily what the weight is. At my skill level the weight of the bike is not even a concern.
pete24
2/5/2019 7:30am
its true about the honda 450 I had an 18 and it didn't feel any heavier than the other bikes and I tried them all
then I bought a 19 husky TC250 now that feels like a bicycle
jdsmooth
2/5/2019 7:38am
I agree that at my skill level, the difference is probably negligible. I'm just curious where the KTM shaves weight. I would think the stock exhaust on the KX would be a quick swap for 2 - 3 lbs, and then I've heard that running Michelin Starcross 5s is good for a couple of lbs over the Dunlops.
barnett468
2/5/2019 8:23am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2019 8:50am
jdsmooth wrote:
I agree that at my skill level, the difference is probably negligible. I'm just curious where the KTM shaves weight. I would think the stock exhaust...
I agree that at my skill level, the difference is probably negligible. I'm just curious where the KTM shaves weight. I would think the stock exhaust on the KX would be a quick swap for 2 - 3 lbs, and then I've heard that running Michelin Starcross 5s is good for a couple of lbs over the Dunlops.
It would take a boat load of money but here's here's some basic things that can be done. I mentioned the starcross tire weight difference on here before but i think someone else might have also. I weighed them and they were more than 1 lb lighter than standard tires. I think newman or boucher have also used a lot of lightweight parts before so they should have some ideas as well.

Titanium or aluma steel hardware including steering stem, axles, and swingarm bolt. I'm making an aluminum front axle and maybe rear axle and swing arm bolt for my vintage bikes but I would use something stronger on the newer bikes.
Titanium springs if they are currently steel.
Titanium exhaust head pipe.
Aluminum and/or carbon fiber muffler.
Lighter rims like dirt stars or there is one other brand.
Aluminum spoke nipples, but these would need to be tested for reliability.
Starcross or Hoosier tires.
Standard thin wall inner tubes.
Lighter rim locks if they have heavy ones.
Titanium valves and valve springs if they are currently steel.
Drill a large id on camshafts.
Magnesium engine cases if they are currently aluminum.
Possibly titanium or powdered metal connecting rod.
Ceramic bearings.
Drive chain with titanium rollers and possibly hardened hollow pins.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/5/2019 8:36am
Agree that the Honda doesn't feel heavier. They feel really light under you and you can put them right where you want them. The RMZ feels heavy when lifting on and off the stand, but in motion it isn't nearly as noticeable. Not quite like the Honda, but isn't all that heavy feeling.
dkurtd
2/5/2019 9:01am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2019 9:01am
jdsmooth wrote:
I agree that at my skill level, the difference is probably negligible. I'm just curious where the KTM shaves weight. I would think the stock exhaust...
barnett468 wrote:
It would take a boat load of money but here's here's some basic things that can be done. I mentioned the starcross tire weight difference on...
It would take a boat load of money but here's here's some basic things that can be done. I mentioned the starcross tire weight difference on here before but i think someone else might have also. I weighed them and they were more than 1 lb lighter than standard tires. I think newman or boucher have also used a lot of lightweight parts before so they should have some ideas as well.

Titanium or aluma steel hardware including steering stem, axles, and swingarm bolt. I'm making an aluminum front axle and maybe rear axle and swing arm bolt for my vintage bikes but I would use something stronger on the newer bikes.
Titanium springs if they are currently steel.
Titanium exhaust head pipe.
Aluminum and/or carbon fiber muffler.
Lighter rims like dirt stars or there is one other brand.
Aluminum spoke nipples, but these would need to be tested for reliability.
Starcross or Hoosier tires.
Standard thin wall inner tubes.
Lighter rim locks if they have heavy ones.
Titanium valves and valve springs if they are currently steel.
Drill a large id on camshafts.
Magnesium engine cases if they are currently aluminum.
Possibly titanium or powdered metal connecting rod.
Ceramic bearings.
Drive chain with titanium rollers and possibly hardened hollow pins.

There are some seat foams out there that say they can save you 1 pound over stock.
captmoto
2/5/2019 11:19am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2019 11:22am
Losing 10 lbs. off the rider will be easier and it's free. You will also lower CG. I don't think you could feel it unless the bike is really out of whack with the CG or balance. I believe all these bikes do their jobs really well. I know I have been passed by all the fat pig race bikes out there at one time or another.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
2/5/2019 11:24am
The Japanese brands don't need fancy titanium or magnesium parts, aluminum axles, or anything else. KTM does it without any of that. All they have to do is save a little bit of weight on every single part and they'll get there.

To be fair, remember that KTM uses an air fork, so that's something like 2 lbs in itself. But a 7 or 8 pound reduction is easily attainable if the engineers look at every single part of the motorcycle as an opportunity for weight reduction, that's exactly how KTM did it. The real question is whether or not the trade-offs are worth it. In general (but not always) a weight reduction also comes with a reduction in stiffness and/or durability.
H4L
2/5/2019 12:18pm
captmoto wrote:
Losing 10 lbs. off the rider will be easier and it's free. You will also lower CG. I don't think you could feel it unless the...
Losing 10 lbs. off the rider will be easier and it's free. You will also lower CG. I don't think you could feel it unless the bike is really out of whack with the CG or balance. I believe all these bikes do their jobs really well. I know I have been passed by all the fat pig race bikes out there at one time or another.
I was thinking that when I first read the thread. In my case the bike doesn't need to loose the 10lbs..
@ 230lbs. I can certainly shed that amount & as you mentioned it's free..
SBD
2/5/2019 1:24pm
Im sorry, but who in their right mind would run a bike with an aluminum axle ??
That is the last place I would skimp on strength to reduce a few ounces.
ktm-5
2/5/2019 4:13pm
To drop the weight of a jap bike it would be cheaper to just buy ktm lol
barnett468
2/5/2019 4:28pm
SBD wrote:
Im sorry, but who in their right mind would run a bike with an aluminum axle ?? That is the last place I would skimp on...
ummmm....you might want to learn a few things about the various grades of aluminum before you make comments about something you obviously know absolutely zero about.

crc245
2/5/2019 8:47pm
"What modifications would it take to lose 10lbs off of a 2019 KX 450?"

What's the budget? Certainly attainable, but with a price. However, as mentioned, comparing apples to apples means you add appx. 3lb to the KTM/Husky instantly for a comparable dual spring fork; not to mention replacing their THIN oe-specification tubes with something you can actually ride...

-Tires are a good place to start. Have heard the Michelin's and new Hoosiers are almost spec tire light. Even Pirelli's weigh less than Dunlop and Bridgestone competition. ≈.25-1lb.
-Exhaust. Replacing the bazooka yields significant weight savings. ≈2.9lbs.
-New triple clamps. Ride Engineering advertises .25lb. with their 19' design.
-Guts Phantom seat foam; Don't forget the PulpMX discount code. ≈.25-.50lb.
-RaceTech titanium advertises 6.5lb. decrease with ALL their trinkets. Can usually get ≈1.5lb. decrease with just axles and swingarm pivot.
-DRC sells aluminum bolts that are a good replacement for LOW STRESS applications. ≈.25lbs.
-LightSpeed and PC should be selling a carbon chain guide which aids in alignment and loses some ounces...

Links so you know I'm not blowing too much smoke...

https://www.keeferinctesting.com/offroad-testing/2018/8/14/fmf-41-rct-t…

https://ride-engineering.com/products.php?d=1&p=bm&pn=KX-TBK22-G9&t=kx

http://www.gutsracing.com/Kawasaki_KX450_Phantom_Seat_Foam_p/680-ph.htm

https://racetechtitanium.com/product-category/motocross/kawasaki/kx450f/

https://www.ebay.com/p/DRC-Hard-Ware-Aluminum-Flange-Bolts-Titanium-M6x…

Good read here for KX450F ideas: https://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-test-we-ride-ride-engineerings-2016…

Ti shock springs are lighter weight, and I personally LOVE the feel, but come with some hiccups. HSS may shave some weight with steel spring benefits: https://motocrossactionmag.com/bare-bonestitanium-shock-springs-vs-stee…

This isn't touching anything internal yet, utilizing ceramic bearings, going back to 240mm rear rotor, removing rear brake protections (which the KTM/Husky don't even have) and chopping the rear guard mounts off, or discussing the longevity merits of a heavier aluminum frame over the lighter steel offerings which may not go through the same R&D durability cycles of the Japanese bikes...

*Don't forget, most of the things we change on a new bike adds weight. Skidplates, aftermarket wheels, oversize bars and clamps, foldable levers, seat covers (over the stock cover most of the time), stiffer springs, etc...
captmoto
2/5/2019 10:10pm
H4L wrote:
I was thinking that when I first read the thread. In my case the bike doesn't need to loose the 10lbs.. @ 230lbs. I can certainly...
I was thinking that when I first read the thread. In my case the bike doesn't need to loose the 10lbs..
@ 230lbs. I can certainly shed that amount & as you mentioned it's free..
Shit, if I got down to 230 I would have a couple double-doubles to celebrate.
Moto520
2/6/2019 7:32am
Air forks would save a pretty good amount. Lighter wheels with the lightest tubes made would save a bit. Ti Exhaust system. Lightweight seat foam.

A shit ton of my KTM's weight went up when I added the following: cone valve spring forks, A60 rims with Talon hubs, proper inner tubes that were less likely to go flat and ruin my day, skid plate to protect the metal down tubes. Add all that up and i'm it's probably around 7-9 pounds.
SBD
2/6/2019 8:54am
SBD wrote:
Im sorry, but who in their right mind would run a bike with an aluminum axle ?? That is the last place I would skimp on...
barnett468 wrote:
ummmm....you might want to learn a few things about the various grades of aluminum before you make comments about something you obviously know absolutely zero about.

Shots fired ! LOL

Well, I have been working in Aerospace industry for 22 years. I'm very familiar with ALL types of exotic alloys and metals. IE, tensil strength, shear strength, HT, normalize,RC, Stress relieve, all of these play a factor when determining what type of metal to use.

Also, very familiar with all types of metal finishing and plating specs.

barnett468 Please tell me your metallurgy history/background.

barnett468
2/6/2019 9:35am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 10:10am
SBD wrote:
barnett468 wrote:

SBD wrote:
Shots fired ! LOL Well, I have been working in Aerospace industry for 22 years. I'm very familiar with ALL types of exotic alloys and metals...
Shots fired ! LOL

Well, I have been working in Aerospace industry for 22 years. I'm very familiar with ALL types of exotic alloys and metals. IE, tensil strength, shear strength, HT, normalize,RC, Stress relieve, all of these play a factor when determining what type of metal to use.

ok, since you claim to be an authority on the subject, please tell me the type of metal used in axles on a vintage bike (pre 80's for example), and then post the specs for that metal, then post the specs for 7068 T651 aluminum (round bar in this particular case), then post the highest amount of force the axle is likely to see under normal conditions.

SBD
2/6/2019 9:41am
barnett468 wrote:

SBD wrote:
Shots fired ! LOL Well, I have been working in Aerospace industry for 22 years. I'm very familiar with ALL types of exotic alloys and metals...
Shots fired ! LOL

barnett468 wrote:
ok, since you claim to be an authority on the subject, please tell me the type of metal used in axles on a vintage bike (pre...
ok, since you claim to be an authority on the subject, please tell me the type of metal used in axles on a vintage bike (pre 80's for example), and then post the specs for that metal, then post the specs for 7068 T651 aluminum (round bar in this particular case), then post the highest amount of force the axle is likely to see under normal conditions.

Wait a minute, you never answered my question.
What is your background to tell me that I know absolutely nothing ????

So when you tell someone that they know absolutely nothing, I would think you could answer a simple question as to what your background is that makes you the expert ? Remember ?

Or do you just like to talk shit ?
barnett468
2/6/2019 9:59am
SBD wrote:
Wait a minute, you never answered my question. What is your background to tell me that I know absolutely nothing ???? So when you tell someone...
Wait a minute, you never answered my question.
What is your background to tell me that I know absolutely nothing ????

So when you tell someone that they know absolutely nothing, I would think you could answer a simple question as to what your background is that makes you the expert ? Remember ?

Or do you just like to talk shit ?
Well it looks to me like you may be unable to answer the questions, and that in itself raises questions about your claim, because based upon all your comments and claims, it should be ludicrously simple for you to answer them.

SBD
2/6/2019 10:37am
No,
It was your claim I know nothing. I simply stated my background, and then you never answered my question ??
Never said I was an expert, but I am very familiar with all aspects of metal. To be an expert, you would have to be a certified metalurgist, I am not.

So do tell us, whats your back ground in this field ??

Peace

barnett468
2/6/2019 10:55am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 11:00am
SBD wrote:
No, It was your claim I know nothing. I simply stated my background, and then you never answered my question ?? Never said I was an...
No,
It was your claim I know nothing. I simply stated my background, and then you never answered my question ??
Never said I was an expert, but I am very familiar with all aspects of metal. To be an expert, you would have to be a certified metalurgist, I am not.

Peace

again, since you still have not answered my questions, or even stated why you think it is unwise to use aluminum for a front axle, it seems you do not have the experience, and/or knowledge required to make an INFORMED statement, or opinion on the subject, plus, one does NOT always have to be a certified metallurgist to be able to determine if one particular type of metal may be unsuitable for a particular application.

Also, the word "metallurgist" has 2 l's, not 1 like you spelled it.

SBD
2/6/2019 11:23am
Thanks BR8es, that is a nice read and explains it well.
He said running an aluminum axle would give him the willies :-)

Galling would be another big concern, but a Nicotef coating would help prevent that.
SBD
2/6/2019 11:28am
SBD wrote:
No, It was your claim I know nothing. I simply stated my background, and then you never answered my question ?? Never said I was an...
No,

Peace

barnett468 wrote:
again, since you still have not answered my questions, or even stated why you think it is unwise to use aluminum for a front axle, it...
again, since you still have not answered my questions, or even stated why you think it is unwise to use aluminum for a front axle, it seems you do not have the experience, and/or knowledge required to make an INFORMED statement, or opinion on the subject, plus, one does NOT always have to be a certified metallurgist to be able to determine if one particular type of metal may be unsuitable for a particular application.

Also, the word "metallurgist" has 2 l's, not 1 like you spelled it.

And your background is ?

Clearly you have no background since you cant answer the question. Until then, just quit responding.
It obvious that explaining something to you would require a lot more time than I have!

Good day MATE!
barnett468
2/6/2019 11:55am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 12:00pm
I read that a while ago, and unfortunately, some of the comments lack sufficient information to draw well informed overall conclusion on, however, one notable thing is that none if them claimed that an aluminum axle broke
BR8ES
2/6/2019 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 12:05pm
BR8ES wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
I read that a while ago, and unfortunately, some of the comments lack sufficient information to draw well informed overall conclusion on, however, one notable thing...
I read that a while ago, and unfortunately, some of the comments lack sufficient information to draw well informed overall conclusion on, however, one notable thing is that none if them claimed that an aluminum axle broke
yeah, true. Just seems like if it were advisable, folks would be putting them out, similar to the Ti axles and such. You know how people like changing shit. You may not have a problem, will be interesting to see what you come up with. I wonder if it were Cryo treatment would be of any benefit?
SBD
2/6/2019 12:17pm
Exactly ! There is no benefit to an Aluminum axle.
If there was, then ......... well you know, everyone would have them.

I wouldn't be afraid of it breaking, just more fatigue, bending, galling, with zero gains.

Who wants to try one out ? Front or rear, What bike ?
I will make someone a set, I could do YZ 250, I have some of those, or KX 85
Any other bike, you will have to supply the dimensions and I will make them.

Peace!
barnett468
2/6/2019 12:22pm
BR8ES wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
I read that a while ago, and unfortunately, some of the comments lack sufficient information to draw well informed overall conclusion on, however, one notable thing...
BR8ES wrote:
yeah, true. Just seems like if it were advisable, folks would be putting them out, similar to the Ti axles and such. You know how people...
yeah, true. Just seems like if it were advisable, folks would be putting them out, similar to the Ti axles and such. You know how people like changing shit. You may not have a problem, will be interesting to see what you come up with. I wonder if it were Cryo treatment would be of any benefit?
I will gladly post more info about it possibly tonight if i have time for those that are curious, but keep in mind that i did not say i would put one on a 400 + lb road race bike which requires precision steering although there is, or was a company that was in fact making aluminum axles exactly for that type of app. Also, notice the one comment about the person that mentioned a ti axle in a road race bike. Most the mfg's i know were using ti axles in their mx bikes until ti parts were basically prohibited by the ama back in the day mainly to give non factory riders a better chance at competing against a factory bike, but an mx bike is not as sensitive to axle flex as ssy a road race bike going 100 + mph in a turn would be.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
2/6/2019 12:26pm
Wow, so much argument over an aluminum axle, all with very little being said...

7068 in the T6 condition is indeed a very strong aluminum alloy. But ultimate tensile strength is hardly the only qualifying metric in its suitability as an axle. As the article and other people have already mentioned there are many factors to consider. Strength, fatigue life, stiffness, hardness, corrosion resistance, stress corrosion cracking resistance, etc. are all at play here.

Yield Strength:
My bet is 7068 would be plenty strong for the application. But for how long? This leads us to fatigue.

Fatigue Strength:
Hard to say without a thorough analysis and proprietary knowledge of the manufacturer, but I'm betting the stock axle is made from a rather strong alloy steel such as 4340 or similar, that has a strength suitable to keep the stress levels below the endurance limit. So fatigue is a non-issue there. But it absolutely is an issue with an aluminum axle. So how many cycles can it take at the design stress before failure? A front axle sees a lot of load cycles. Luckily for the fatigue world they're not fully reversed cycles, but they're certainly relevant. Most likely an aluminum axle of any alloy will require a fixed service life to be safe, e.g. it requires replacement every year or similar.

Stiffness:
No argument here, aluminum of any alloy will have a stiffness 1/3 that of steel. You can overcome this to some extent by making things thicker, but that has quickly diminishing returns as the bending stiffness of a tube is related to the outer-most layers. You're also adding weight as you make things stiffer to compensate. Even if you went with a solid aluminum axle, you wouldn't be anywhere near the bending stiffness of a stock steel axle. And you'd probably be heavier as well!

Corrosion/Stress Corrosion Cracking:
I don't know the data off-hand for 7068, but for 7075-T6 there are stress corrosion cracking issues. It's advisable to run the over-aged T7 temper to avoid these issues, but then you have a little less strength. Maybe 7068 also has this issue, maybe it doesn't, but it needs to be considered.

Hardness:
Aluminum is soft relative to steel. You're going to see surface wear pretty quickly due to the flex in the system and just from normal use/maintenance. You can overcome this with a hard-anodize, which will also help with the corrosion issues, but a hard anodize has a negative impact on fatigue strength. So all that needs to be considered as well.

Availability/Cost:
Good luck finding this alloy, I have yet to see it from any of our normal suppliers. It may only be available in full 12' lengths and in limited diameters. Fine if you're manufacturing a lot of axles, not so much if you're making a one-off part. Also, it's likely to be expensive.

So all that said, assuming you have a high budget and can replace the axle every so often to alleviate the fatigue concerns, a 7068 axle may work fine. But (and that's a BIG but) there's always going to be the stiffness concern. To realize the weight savings of an aluminum axle, which was the whole point to begin with, it's going to be 1/3 the stiffness of stock. Depending on the arrangement of your hub, spacers, fork lugs, etc. this may not be a big deal.

Assuming the stiffness isn't that big of a deal, and after all the concern over strength, fatigue life, etc. you've only managed to save 0.36 lbs vs. a stock steel KTM axle. I'd argue there are better places to look for weight reduction.

Post a reply to: How to lose 10lbs on a kx/rmz/crf/yz 450?

The Latest