How tight do you guys tighten your steering stem bearings?

Rider 5280
I am setting up a new bike and have never tried going tighter than the bars instantly flopping to either side. I usually tight the bearing preload nut just to the point where I notice the slightest drag, then I back off a hair.

On this new bike, she's a bit touchier than my other bikes. I tightened the bearing preload nut as usual, but the top triple clamp nut has waaaay more of an effect on steering "freedom"/bearing compression than other bikes I've owned when tightening it. The steering readily sweeps side-to-side, but there's just a hair of drag.

Wondering what you guys typically recommend.

I know some use the bearing preload as drag to avhieve a damping effect ("poor man's steering damper"), but how tight is that ... seems awful tight.

Any real-world feedback on bearing tightness vs. bearing life?

I learn a lot from discussing these "mundane" aspects of bike upkeep.

Thanks for any input!
|
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
10/3/2020 10:55pm
I tighten the nut till the bars barely fall to either side if l turned (with the bike on the stand). I like a little drag, helps just a little keeping my honda a little less nervous down fast breaking zones. Just remember to loosen the top clamp pinch bolts before trying to tighten the nut, it can mar up your forks.
FWYT
10/4/2020 7:46am
Leeham wrote:
I tighten the nut till the bars barely fall to either side if l turned (with the bike on the stand). I like a little drag...
I tighten the nut till the bars barely fall to either side if l turned (with the bike on the stand). I like a little drag, helps just a little keeping my honda a little less nervous down fast breaking zones. Just remember to loosen the top clamp pinch bolts before trying to tighten the nut, it can mar up your forks.
About what I do, as well.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/4/2020 10:39am
I go about as tight as I can with nothing but my fingers. It ends up being snug but moves easily.

The Shop

harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
10/8/2020 6:31pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
I am setting up a new bike and have never tried going tighter than the bars instantly flopping to either side. I usually tight the bearing...
I am setting up a new bike and have never tried going tighter than the bars instantly flopping to either side. I usually tight the bearing preload nut just to the point where I notice the slightest drag, then I back off a hair.

On this new bike, she's a bit touchier than my other bikes. I tightened the bearing preload nut as usual, but the top triple clamp nut has waaaay more of an effect on steering "freedom"/bearing compression than other bikes I've owned when tightening it. The steering readily sweeps side-to-side, but there's just a hair of drag.

Wondering what you guys typically recommend.

I know some use the bearing preload as drag to avhieve a damping effect ("poor man's steering damper"), but how tight is that ... seems awful tight.

Any real-world feedback on bearing tightness vs. bearing life?

I learn a lot from discussing these "mundane" aspects of bike upkeep.

Thanks for any input!
I run mine pretty tight in my 2018 450RX...tight enough that the bars will not flop to the side by themselves, and there's a decent amount of drag felt. Bike has almost 300 hours on it, still on original stem brgs, I'll need to replace them at the end of the season

Post a reply to: How tight do you guys tighten your steering stem bearings?

The Latest