How long until my mixed race fuel goes bad?

kpersonius264
Fantasy
3579th
Edited Date/Time 2/2/2019 4:08pm
I have about 2 gallons of leaded Sunoco 110/ 91 pump mixed 50/50 with motul 800 @32:1

This Sunday at Oakland sx futures I broke my leg and I am out for 8 weeks. How long until the fuel goes bad? Will the unmixed fuel be ok in its 5 gallon drum?
|
BR8ES
1/29/2019 7:37pm
It will be fine in it's metal drum, keep it off the floor(pallet or a couple of 2x4 pieces) and in the coolest,dark area you have. If you are overly concerned, put a splash of Stabil in it.
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3579th
1/29/2019 7:46pm
BR8ES wrote:
It will be fine in it's metal drum, keep it off the floor(pallet or a couple of 2x4 pieces) and in the coolest,dark area you have...
It will be fine in it's metal drum, keep it off the floor(pallet or a couple of 2x4 pieces) and in the coolest,dark area you have. If you are overly concerned, put a splash of Stabil in it.
I’ve seen this done with fuel and car batteries. What exactly is it preventing? Condensation from cold concrete?
BR8ES
1/29/2019 8:12pm
BR8ES wrote:
It will be fine in it's metal drum, keep it off the floor(pallet or a couple of 2x4 pieces) and in the coolest,dark area you have...
I’ve seen this done with fuel and car batteries. What exactly is it preventing? Condensation from cold concrete?
that is pretty much the reason.
ZB93
1/30/2019 6:07am
The fuel will be fine for 8-12 weeks. Heal up quick!

The Shop

ktm-5
1/31/2019 8:57pm
Yup itll be good as long as it's in a metal can.
zac_k3
2/1/2019 2:07am
i have about a tank and a half left of Vp T2, it’s been sitting since probably September in my dark garage in temperatures no higher then 50 degrees F. should i just pour it out since it’s so little or go ahead and finish it off?
BR8ES
2/1/2019 7:44am
Finish it off. It keeps way longer than people think.
barnett468
2/1/2019 9:05am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 9:07am
zac_k3 wrote:
i have about a tank and a half left of Vp T2, it’s been sitting since probably September in my dark garage in temperatures no higher...
i have about a tank and a half left of Vp T2, it’s been sitting since probably September in my dark garage in temperatures no higher then 50 degrees F. should i just pour it out since it’s so little or go ahead and finish it off?
Because of the low temperature (and possible humidity) it was stored in, I for one would consider tossing it, especially since you are probably only talking about around 1 gallon of gas, or at the very least, I wouldn't run the bike super hard until it is used up.

BR8ES
2/1/2019 9:22am
VP says it can last 2 years or more... waste it if you want.
barnett468
2/1/2019 9:31am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 9:33am
BR8ES wrote:
Yes, but that is in a closed and proper container in a dry area, not inside a plastic gas tank where it may also be exposed to the atmosphere and humidity and below freezing conditions etc, but you can certainly tell people you think it is a good idea to use it in their expensive (valuable) motorcycle after it has been stored in these conditions if they simply just want to save the paltry sum of $7.00 if you want to.

BR8ES
2/1/2019 9:42am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 9:53am
BR8ES wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
Yes, but that is in a closed and proper container in a dry area, not inside a plastic gas tank where it may also be exposed...
Yes, but that is in a closed and proper container in a dry area, not inside a plastic gas tank where it may also be exposed to the atmosphere and humidity and below freezing conditions etc, but you can certainly tell people you think it is a good idea to use it in their expensive (valuable) motorcycle after it has been stored in these conditions if they simply just want to save the paltry sum of $7.00 if you want to.

Stop the confrontational attitude man, it is constant with you. Worst part is, you are pretty nice sometimes. There was no mention of plastic containers in the post you quoted and it has already been brought up.

I can only go by what the race gas companies tell me and that is good enough. There has never been a study to show gas goes bad in 2 weeks like so many say, then it becomes some sort of internet law. If people want to throw out gas because they "feel" it's bad, then more power to them and you Barn. Makes no sense to me, even those that sell the gas say it lasts a long time stored in reasonable conditions and not in some faded plastic can, in the back of a pickup in the elements. Clearly there are conditions that warrant it not being used, such as described above.
barnett468
2/1/2019 9:54am
BR8ES wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
Yes, but that is in a closed and proper container in a dry area, not inside a plastic gas tank where it may also be exposed...

BR8ES wrote:
Stop the confrontational attitude man, it is constant with you. Worst part is, you are pretty nice sometimes. There was no mention of plastic containers in...
Stop the confrontational attitude man, it is constant with you. Worst part is, you are pretty nice sometimes. There was no mention of plastic containers in the post you quoted and it has already been brought up.

I can only go by what the race gas companies tell me and that is good enough. There has never been a study to show gas goes bad in 2 weeks like so many say, then it becomes some sort of internet law. If people want to throw out gas because they "feel" it's bad, then more power to them and you Barn. Makes no sense to me, even those that sell the gas say it lasts a long time stored in reasonable conditions and not in some faded plastic can, in the back of a pickup in the elements. Clearly there are conditions that warrant it not being used, such as described above.
Ummn...the confrontation begins with others. I posted facts and basic logic, it is your problem if you take exception to it not mine or others.
BR8ES
2/1/2019 10:00am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 10:01am
barnett468 wrote:

BR8ES wrote:
Stop the confrontational attitude man, it is constant with you. Worst part is, you are pretty nice sometimes. There was no mention of plastic containers in...

barnett468 wrote:
Ummn...the confrontation begins with others. I posted facts and basic logic, it is your problem if you take exception to it not mine or others.
Here we go... always. What facts? Your opinion? Didn't we say some of the same thing? Ffs... I think you like to hear yourself talk and reassure yourself that you know it all and it is impossible for someone else to have any validity.
barnett468
2/1/2019 10:07am
BR8ES wrote:

barnett468 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Here we go... always. What facts? Your opinion? Didn't we say some of the same thing? Ffs... I think you like to hear yourself talk and...
Here we go... always. What facts? Your opinion? Didn't we say some of the same thing? Ffs... I think you like to hear yourself talk and reassure yourself that you know it all and it is impossible for someone else to have any validity.
Lol
BR8ES
2/1/2019 10:11am
barnett468 wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Here we go... always. What facts? Your opinion? Didn't we say some of the same thing? Ffs... I think you like to hear yourself talk and...
barnett468 wrote:
Lol
Exactly.
barnett468
2/1/2019 10:47am
BR8ES wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
Lol
BR8ES wrote:
Exactly.
Lol
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3579th
2/1/2019 2:48pm
If I can clear something up, my fuel that is already mixed is in a matrix concepts plastic jug. There is also maybe half a tank in my bike which reminds me I need to drain the float bowl.

The rest of the unmixed fuel is in its original 5 gallon steel drum.
kb228
2/1/2019 5:29pm
Ive had cam2 race gas (sunoco 110) last me 4-5 weeks before in a plastic 5 gallon vp jug. On the other hand my pump gas with stabilizer is already bad at 2 months. Bike wont run on it lol.
kb228
2/1/2019 5:34pm
BR8ES wrote:
barnett468 wrote:

BR8ES wrote:

Barnett needs to stop. I thought i was the biggest douche on vital but this guy... this guy takes the crown man. Jesus christ
barnett468
2/1/2019 5:45pm
kb228 wrote:
Barnett needs to stop. I thought i was the biggest douche on vital but this guy... this guy takes the crown man. Jesus christ
"I thought i was the biggest douche on vital..."

And there is still no reason for you to think otherwise, so try and keep up the good work!

barnett468
2/1/2019 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 6:10pm
I have about 2 gallons of leaded Sunoco 110/ 91 pump mixed 50/50 with motul 800 @32:1 This Sunday at Oakland sx futures I broke my...
I have about 2 gallons of leaded Sunoco 110/ 91 pump mixed 50/50 with motul 800 @32:1

This Sunday at Oakland sx futures I broke my leg and I am out for 8 weeks. How long until the fuel goes bad? Will the unmixed fuel be ok in its 5 gallon drum?
"I have about 2 gallons of leaded Sunoco 110/ 91 pump mixed 50/50 with motul 800 @32:1"

Exactly what fuel is the other 50%?

kpersonius264
Fantasy
3579th
2/1/2019 6:16pm
The 110 and the 91 pump are what is mixed 50/50. Ex:1 gallon of race fuel and 1 gallon of 91 pump.
barnett468
2/1/2019 6:20pm
The 110 and the 91 pump are what is mixed 50/50. Ex:1 gallon of race fuel and 1 gallon of 91 pump.
Does the 91 have ethanol?

kpersonius264
Fantasy
3579th
2/1/2019 6:41pm
I believe it has some. I’m in California so I hear our fuel is pretty crappy here.
exbmxmx
2/2/2019 2:52pm
If I can clear something up, my fuel that is already mixed is in a matrix concepts plastic jug. There is also maybe half a tank...
If I can clear something up, my fuel that is already mixed is in a matrix concepts plastic jug. There is also maybe half a tank in my bike which reminds me I need to drain the float bowl.

The rest of the unmixed fuel is in its original 5 gallon steel drum.
If I were you, I would toss the premix. Pour it in your lawn mower, weed eater and maybe Barnett's ape-hanger equipped chopper. haha
Every 2-stroke manual I have ever read stated to mix the premix the day of the race. This is because once mixed, the oil begins to lose its lubricity due to oxidation. With that being said, I'm not sure how VP is making T2 that is already blended? Maybe they are nitrogen blanketing the container or they are just making the assumption that if there is no headspace then the oxygen is not present for the oxidation, which is a bad assumption. Or maybe they are adding an inhibitor which helps prevent oxidation of the oil, which is most likely what they are doing. Which ever is correct, VP or the 2-stroke manuals, VP seems to be successful selling the T2 premix fuel without problems.
The 110/pump should be ok if the metal can has been sealed up. The 50:50 blend has reduced the ethanol content to around 5% most likely and the water adsorption capacity would be significantly reduced.
Definitely drain the fuel tank and float bowl on the bike as both of those pools of fuel are subjected to high water absorption due to both containers being vented.

barnett468
2/2/2019 3:53pm
exbmxmx wrote:
If I were you, I would toss the premix. Pour it in your lawn mower, weed eater and maybe Barnett's ape-hanger equipped chopper. haha Every 2-stroke...
If I were you, I would toss the premix. Pour it in your lawn mower, weed eater and maybe Barnett's ape-hanger equipped chopper. haha
Every 2-stroke manual I have ever read stated to mix the premix the day of the race. This is because once mixed, the oil begins to lose its lubricity due to oxidation. With that being said, I'm not sure how VP is making T2 that is already blended? Maybe they are nitrogen blanketing the container or they are just making the assumption that if there is no headspace then the oxygen is not present for the oxidation, which is a bad assumption. Or maybe they are adding an inhibitor which helps prevent oxidation of the oil, which is most likely what they are doing. Which ever is correct, VP or the 2-stroke manuals, VP seems to be successful selling the T2 premix fuel without problems.
The 110/pump should be ok if the metal can has been sealed up. The 50:50 blend has reduced the ethanol content to around 5% most likely and the water adsorption capacity would be significantly reduced.
Definitely drain the fuel tank and float bowl on the bike as both of those pools of fuel are subjected to high water absorption due to both containers being vented.

" Pour it in your lawn mower, weed eater and maybe Barnett's ape-hanger equipped chopper. haha"

And my "chopper" even came with ape hangers from the factory!

Post a reply to: How long until my mixed race fuel goes bad?

The Latest