How long can you let your bike sit and idle??

swatdoc
Hey guys I just bought a brand new '17 Husky FC350. Before it was ever ridden, I had several thousand dollars of motor work done. Then my buddy picked it up for me to keep at his place. I spoke to him this morning, and he said he started it up today and let it idle for 30 minutes in his driveway before buzzing it up and down the street a few times to see how it ran.

I kinda freaked out a bit when he said that, but I didn't say anything at the time. I just checked my owner's manual, and it says nothing about restrictions on idle time.
But my feeling is that this wasn't good at all. with no air going over the radiators, won't the bike overheat and damage things? I'm kinda feeling a little sick right now. Hopefully I'm over reacting. What do you guys think? He didn't mention anything about coolant sputtering out.
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/13/2017 8:10pm
I hope he was joking about 30 minutes, maybe 30 seconds? I usually crank the bike up before putting on my helmet, goggles, and gloves. So however long that is, is how long I let it warm up. Plus I putt around real slow for a minute.
I let my old 250F idle for about solid minute or 2 and it was spitting coolant out the radiators. If he really did let it idle for half an hour, it's gonna need more motor work....
swatdoc
5/13/2017 8:27pm
Not joking Colin - I wouldn't be wasting people's time. I'm actually sick to my stomach right now.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/13/2017 8:31pm
No, I'm not implying you're joking. I'm saying maybe he was joking, or exaggerating about the 30 minutes. Wait to see the bike yourself, if he rode it odds are its fine.
captmoto
5/13/2017 11:32pm
Holy shit!!! If your buddy isn't fucking with you he's an asshole. The header should have been glowing like Chernobyl and it should have been puking coolant. I wait until I can feel the bottom of the radiator get warm. That seems to be just 2-3 minutes. These bikes need some air moving through the radiators to cool. I really hope this is a joke.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/13/2017 11:45pm
I would assume, since your buddy could start it and ride it, that he has motorcyle general knowledge. How could he think that is a normal thing to do? I hope there is a miscommunication.
swatdoc
5/14/2017 3:12am
We have both been riding bikes since the early to mid 70's. He still races 25-30 times a year. I am at a total loss for words how he could possibly think that was OK to do. He said he was warming up the bike. He honestly felt it was absolutely fine. He is not an asshole, he's been one of my best friends for nearly 40 years. I'm still just in a state of disbelief about this. However bad it is though, it's not worth losing a friend over.

I really wish he was joking/screwing with me , or there was some kind of miscommunication. Unfortunately that's not the case. I very clearly confirmed it was just sitting still for 20-30 minutes idling with no fan or anything.

From what I've been able to read and what you guys are saying, it's not sounding good. Looks like I'm gonna have to have him take the bike back to the engine builder and have it torn down and inspected. I'm envisioning warped head and all kinds of bad things here. Not sure if the cams and valves would be toast from overheating or not. Guess I'll find out in a few days.
Jrewing
5/14/2017 3:23am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2017 3:25am
How hot outside was it? Hopefully the idle was on the low side. I don't think it's the worst in the world for it. Is the coolant level low?
They run a lot hotter in a long mid pack sand/mud race.
I'd be bummed that when he happened to be stupid it so happened with my built bike.

JWACK
5/14/2017 7:02am
I would think your buddy notice coolant overflowing and shut it down. Maybe it was breezy and it didn't overheat?. I doubt someone with that much experience would just let it boil over and continue to let it run. Did you check coolant level to see what it lost?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/14/2017 7:15am
swatdoc wrote:
We have both been riding bikes since the early to mid 70's. He still races 25-30 times a year. I am at a total loss for...
We have both been riding bikes since the early to mid 70's. He still races 25-30 times a year. I am at a total loss for words how he could possibly think that was OK to do. He said he was warming up the bike. He honestly felt it was absolutely fine. He is not an asshole, he's been one of my best friends for nearly 40 years. I'm still just in a state of disbelief about this. However bad it is though, it's not worth losing a friend over.

I really wish he was joking/screwing with me , or there was some kind of miscommunication. Unfortunately that's not the case. I very clearly confirmed it was just sitting still for 20-30 minutes idling with no fan or anything.

From what I've been able to read and what you guys are saying, it's not sounding good. Looks like I'm gonna have to have him take the bike back to the engine builder and have it torn down and inspected. I'm envisioning warped head and all kinds of bad things here. Not sure if the cams and valves would be toast from overheating or not. Guess I'll find out in a few days.
Like everyone was saying, it's not great that it was done, but if the bike wasn't spitting coolant it will be fine. When you get to your bike, check the coolant level to confirm.

These bikes can handle A LOT.
c0ncEpT
5/14/2017 7:56am
If it wasn't puking coolant out of the overflow than it's 100% fine. There is no recovery tank on these bikes so if it got hot it would have put steam out of the overflow.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/14/2017 8:19am
JWACK wrote:
I would think your buddy notice coolant overflowing and shut it down. Maybe it was breezy and it didn't overheat?. I doubt someone with that much...
I would think your buddy notice coolant overflowing and shut it down. Maybe it was breezy and it didn't overheat?. I doubt someone with that much experience would just let it boil over and continue to let it run. Did you check coolant level to see what it lost?
Good point, might have been a strong enough breeze the bike didn't need to be moving.
jeffro503
5/14/2017 10:57am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2017 10:57am
I don't understand the letting it sit and idle for 20 - 30 minutes? What was the point , and why would he do that to a brand new bike? Or any bike for that matter? Thinking it was a correct way to break it in? Letting a bike get that hot , for that long is not good.

No way would it cause a loss of a friendship , but I damn well would ask him " What the hell did you do that for?"

I'm sure the bike is fine , but damn , not cool. ( literally! )

speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
5/14/2017 2:48pm
No one told your buddy the story about the guy started his Honda 450 at Jawbone, went in the trailer for a beer and smoke, 30 minutes later the cam and journals were toast, expensive lesson....
tmauto769
Fantasy
1135th
5/14/2017 3:03pm
swatdoc wrote:
We have both been riding bikes since the early to mid 70's. He still races 25-30 times a year. I am at a total loss for...

I can appreciate the fact you guys have been friends for 40yrs, and that this won't change that. So surely he could appreciate the right hook you should be giving him for his stupidity, because it might knock some sense back into him.
Did you let him know this wasn't ok? so maybe he don't do it again, ever....
swatdoc
5/14/2017 4:37pm
He said he was warming it up. Wanted to buzz it down the street to feel what 63.5 hp felt like. He honestly didn't think it was a big deal. He swears no coolant came out. I absolutely told him to never ever ever do that again. Again this guy has been one of my best friends for over 40 years, and he is doing me huge favors by letting me store multiple vintage restored bikes at his place until I retire and move there in 18 months.

My motor builder got back to me today. He said not to ever idle a modern bike longer than 2 minutes - at least if you don't have a high powered fan blowing to the radiators.

Not sure where to go from here. I'm thinking at least I should have the top end pulled off and inspected. Check for head warping, condition of cams and valves, seats, guides. Also piston and cylinder walls.

Can you guys think of anything else ? What are the chances of my lower end being damaged? I'm worried that if the oil got cooked it lost its lubricity and my crank bearing might be toast.
swatdoc
5/14/2017 4:44pm
I will retain a slight glimmer of hope that as some of you say, if it wasn't puking coolant, it should be OK.

The thing is, I don't think I'll be comfortable just taking a wait and see attitude. To race my bike I have to take vacation days at work, fly from Hawaii to California, rent a car, etc. etc. I don't want to go thru all that to have the bike die out in practice on race day. So I'll probably pay several hundred dollars to have it torn down and inspected. Thousands if they find damage. Maybe I'll shoot a call in to Factory Services tomorrow and see what they think.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/14/2017 5:06pm
Man I think you are fine. I've had my bike overheat and spit coolant out from riding hard on a super hot day and nothing was wrong.

I guess depending on when the next time you are planning to ride will tell the story.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/14/2017 5:09pm
Yeah, not a good move but the more I read this thread, the more optimistic I become. Maybe not a total loss.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/14/2017 5:31pm
Have a leak down test done, should tell you if it's ok or not.
Bruneval
5/14/2017 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2017 5:56pm
Fingers crossed for you, certainly a very foolish thing to do. It's not a generator.

However, it may be absolutely fine. I once had the water pump seal go on a Husaberg 501 enduro bike, dropping every bit of coolant in the system at some point during a full days trail riding in deep wet mud, in the woods, with no wind. I have no idea at which point I lost the coolant, the bike was buried in mud so I didn't notice, but it's safe to say that I rode that thing for well over 30 minutes without a drop in it. Stripped it down for peace of mind, but apart from a service and a new water pump seal, it was completely fine.
Rockinar
5/14/2017 9:00pm
I would not worry about it. If it didnt spit coolant then it didnt even over heat.
tempura
5/14/2017 9:01pm
If it wasn't steaming and spitting, I honestly think you'll be fine.
These bikes can take more punishment than that. Think about a mud race or sand race in the summer months. They can take a real beating and be ok.
RockyRider
Fantasy
3372nd
5/14/2017 10:02pm
You're overthinking it big time. Yes that WAY too long to let a bike idle for but if it wasn't spitting out coolant for minutes on end then your motor is fine. These bikes can take a ridiculous amount of abuse (see JA21's mechanic after vegas sx)
swatdoc
5/14/2017 11:01pm
Well I spoke to my buddy today and while we were talking he went out and popped off the radiator cap - totally full of fluid. None was lost.

Getting a little more hopeful. He said it was cool and windy that morning too
Jrewing
5/15/2017 2:15am
swatdoc wrote:
Well I spoke to my buddy today and while we were talking he went out and popped off the radiator cap - totally full of fluid...
Well I spoke to my buddy today and while we were talking he went out and popped off the radiator cap - totally full of fluid. None was lost.

Getting a little more hopeful. He said it was cool and windy that morning too
Yep you are fine.

Btw your bike sounds awesome
5/15/2017 4:23am
To be fair a lot of new bikes you are supposed to let it idle until its hot then let it cool then do the same but with 1/4 throtte and ride it up and down for 20 mins. I think the 2016 kx450f you have to do it 4 times to wear it in
Acidreamer
5/15/2017 6:09am
30 mins of idle is a lot. Theyre not like sportbikes that have fans on the radiators to cool them down. Once you get in that 240+F temperatures you can start damaging things or causing some minor warping of aluminum parts. Rubber seals start to get weaker etc. i dont let my 450 idle more than 5 mins or so. Warm it up and rip or shut it off.
Skerby
5/15/2017 9:36am
The coolant pulls out a lot of heat when it starts boiling off. Bike should be fine until it runs out of coolant.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/15/2017 3:38pm
Your oil is fine until it reaches temps well over 400 degrees F. Since water boils at something like 230 in a pressurized system, and yours did not, I wouldn't worry about the oil losing its lubricity.

Post a reply to: How long can you let your bike sit and idle??

The Latest