How does this cylinder look?

Rickyisms
Edited Date/Time 11/17/2020 10:03am
Bought it used, unknown hours or maintenance record. Cross hatching looks like it is still there, but worried about what looks like scoring possibly? I haven’t got it honed yet. Just ran it through some solvent to clean the oil out to take some pics. Let me know what you think.
|
11/16/2020 9:21am
The bike had some sand in it at some point but it doesn't look that bad. Just run a hone through it and you will be fine.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
11/16/2020 9:30am
I'd agree with above, does any of it cause your fingernail to hang up on it?

That said, I was in a similar position with my project CR 125. Since I was throwing all new parts at it when splitting the cases I just had Millennium redo the cylinder so it would be like new. Probably could have gone without it.
DynoDan22
11/16/2020 10:01am
Measure it. Throwing a piston in blindly is a bit of a crap shoot. It looks ok, but there are noticeable "dwell marks" from the piston rings at bottom dead center. That usually indicates a good amount of running hours > 70 hrs.

The Shop

Rickyisms
11/16/2020 2:26pm
seth505 wrote:
I'd agree with above, does any of it cause your fingernail to hang up on it? That said, I was in a similar position with my...

That said, I was in a similar position with my project CR 125. Since I was throwing all new parts at it when splitting the cases I just had Millennium redo the cylinder so it would be like new. Probably could have gone without it.
Doesn't catch a nail. Thought the bike probably sucked some sand/dirt at one point. I'm 99% sure it was from a GNCC bike.
YZed250
11/16/2020 3:27pm
seth505 wrote:
I'd agree with above, does any of it cause your fingernail to hang up on it? That said, I was in a similar position with my...

Rickyisms wrote:
Doesn't catch a nail. Thought the bike probably sucked some sand/dirt at one point. I'm 99% sure it was from a GNCC bike.
It's a $300/4 week turn around choice to replate or not.
That's a big deal to some, and not to others.
If you're in a hurry or short on money, then it's probably okay to run without any fingernail catching grooves in the bore.
I'd plan on a replate at the next piston.
btroxler
11/17/2020 10:03am
Measure the bore, if it checks out straight and clearance is correct for your piston, hone it and you should be good to go.

Post a reply to: How does this cylinder look?

The Latest