How do I torque this nut

Goon126
Edited Date/Time 12/13/2019 9:18pm
First off I have a 2018 YZ 450 F. I’m re-greasing the linkage. How do I torque this nut from the connecting arm? The frame is blocking any space to fit a socket and torque wrench
|
FWYT
12/5/2019 1:28pm
If you remove the top shock bolt, can you move the swingarm up or down and get a shot at it?
Goon126
12/5/2019 1:33pm
FWYT wrote:
If you remove the top shock bolt, can you move the swingarm up or down and get a shot at it?
This is the part of the connecting arm that is bolting to the frame. Does not move

The Shop

752dad
12/5/2019 4:40pm

This is what I use

KC
kb228
12/6/2019 8:07am
X2 on crows foot or adapter.

$ wise you can get a set of crows feet at harbor freight for probably half the cost of the adapter
FWYT
12/6/2019 8:21am
FWYT wrote:
Goon126 wrote:
This is the part of the connecting arm that is bolting to the frame. Does not move
Whoops, sorry! Wasn't paying close enough attention. I'm the goon, not you! Laughing
garagedog
Fantasy
722nd
12/6/2019 2:14pm
When using a crow's foot, is there any conversion for torque amount or is it 1:1 ?
GoYamaha
12/6/2019 4:27pm
garagedog wrote:
When using a crow's foot, is there any conversion for torque amount or is it 1:1 ?
At 90 degrees its 1:1 other wise it is off.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
12/8/2019 1:06pm
Call me crazy but I would use the built in forearm torque wrench on that and not lose one bit of sleep over it. I've never had a linkage bolt or nut fall off on me or any adverse affect from over torquing. But I have seen many guys blow out the threads the night before a race and then say "but I torqued it to the manual specs?!?!?!?" Some guys get a little too hung up on using a torque wrench but they never consider things like the effect of oil or grease on the threads, how many times it's been torqued (fatigue), or the accuracy/calibration of their torque wrench.
Sachmo831
12/8/2019 3:12pm
FGR01 wrote:
Call me crazy but I would use the built in forearm torque wrench on that and not lose one bit of sleep over it. I've never...
Call me crazy but I would use the built in forearm torque wrench on that and not lose one bit of sleep over it. I've never had a linkage bolt or nut fall off on me or any adverse affect from over torquing. But I have seen many guys blow out the threads the night before a race and then say "but I torqued it to the manual specs?!?!?!?" Some guys get a little too hung up on using a torque wrench but they never consider things like the effect of oil or grease on the threads, how many times it's been torqued (fatigue), or the accuracy/calibration of their torque wrench.
Agreed. My calibrated arm has worked for years. The torque wrench only comes out for cam caps and similar fasteners.
mxtech1
12/9/2019 7:40pm
FGR01 wrote:
Call me crazy but I would use the built in forearm torque wrench on that and not lose one bit of sleep over it. I've never...
Sachmo831 wrote:
Agreed. My calibrated arm has worked for years. The torque wrench only comes out for cam caps and similar fasteners.
I've spent many years working in a factory as a Manufacturing Engineer. Operators stay within their station all day and tighten the same joints over, and over, and over again. Some assemblers try to skip the torque wrench because they want to save time and because they think they are good enough to "feel" the torque.

Under many different circumstances, we were able to prove that hand tightening without a torque wrench the operator was typically off nominal torque by +/- 20-30% for the most skilled workers while others struggled to hit +/- 30-45%

These are skilled union workers assembling complex Ag equipment day in and day out.

You put a calibrated torque wrench in each one of those same individuals hands and they can hit +\-10% all the time.

There's a big reason why factories spend big money to tie torque tooling to assembly processes.

My general rule of thumb is that if the joint is in motion, or connects to something that is in motion, you want to torque that joint.
JM485
12/13/2019 9:18pm
mxtech1 wrote:
I've spent many years working in a factory as a Manufacturing Engineer. Operators stay within their station all day and tighten the same joints over, and...
I've spent many years working in a factory as a Manufacturing Engineer. Operators stay within their station all day and tighten the same joints over, and over, and over again. Some assemblers try to skip the torque wrench because they want to save time and because they think they are good enough to "feel" the torque.

Under many different circumstances, we were able to prove that hand tightening without a torque wrench the operator was typically off nominal torque by +/- 20-30% for the most skilled workers while others struggled to hit +/- 30-45%

These are skilled union workers assembling complex Ag equipment day in and day out.

You put a calibrated torque wrench in each one of those same individuals hands and they can hit +\-10% all the time.

There's a big reason why factories spend big money to tie torque tooling to assembly processes.

My general rule of thumb is that if the joint is in motion, or connects to something that is in motion, you want to torque that joint.
We're talking about a double sheer bolt with a spacer between two thick flanges, a relatively low risk joint and one that I have never, ever seen or heard of a bolt fatigue failure happening. While torquing everything is great in theory, this is a prime example of a situation where common sense needs to take over. What we're really worried about is the installed stress in the bolt, i.e. the stress induced due to elongation during tightening, and the relationship between torque and installed stress is muddy at best to begin with. To think that we'd get a measurement even remotely close in a location like that is extremely optimistic, especially considering the likelyhood of those threads being perfectly clean and dry is probably slim to none.

You're dead on for something critical like a head bolt or something of that nature, but imo it's way overkill for this situation.

Post a reply to: How do I torque this nut

The Latest